iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Holland Skid Loaders

Started by JV, February 18, 2011, 11:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Anyone with experience with New Holland skid loaders.  Are they reliable, smooth to operate - general observations?  L783 in particular.  Thanks.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

weimedog

Yup. Good stuff. Ran some of the older ones...they had a longer and wider wheel base than the comparable Bob Cats, and we have a new one at work. Really nice ..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

stumpy

I've had three.  Currently have a L785 which is same as the 783 except it's diesel.  I've run other brands but I prefer New Hollands.  Couple reasons
wider stance
they're all "level lift"
For they're size, their lift capacity tends to be higher
For an old guy like me, they're easier to get in and out of

If you're thinking of buying one of the older ones like the 785,783,555 etc.  make sure the quick attach plate on the front has been upgraded to the new Bobcat style, otherwise you will be limited to only using New Holland attachments.  You can make the upgrade yourself, but the new plate will cost about $750

By the way, the old style John Deeres were New hollands with the John Deere name on them.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

JV

Thanks for the info guys.  The wide stance and the loader arm design caught my eye.  From the pictures, the unit I'm looking at appears pretty sharp, but I'll have to look it over.  It has a bucket and a set of forks.  The auction is a week from today, I hate waiting.   >:(
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kansas

We switched to New Holland from Bobcat about 5 years ago. We run a L185 and a L 190. Put the weights on, you can lift a lot. Biggest advantage is that if you have to work on them, you can take the side covers off and get to the engine. I will say in defense of Bobcat that its just a little easier to change the oil in them. But if you have to go into the guts, New Holland is far better.

I don't know if its where we buy them, but we buy them new, or with only 100 hours or so on them. They still have the warranty. We trade in and the price is rediculously cheap on a per hour basis. Can't remember now, but believe the last one we traded cost  5 or 6 bucks an hour. We use them constantly. We use them hard. That is hard to beat.

Mark K

I worked for a New Holland dealer when I came out of college for about 8 years. I feel the older 785's, 555's were about the best machines they ever built. Haven't run many of the latest ones though. Only major problem I know that series had was breaking flywheels. Seemed to happen during the winter when the steel was cold and oil was thick causing cracks. They are real smooth in operation not like riding a bucking bronco like other machines. 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Ironwood

Dont they also have a high/low range for covering more terrain "down on the farm".

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Weekend_Sawyer

Yup, My LX885 has the high low and remote hydraulics. It's a 96' and has serverd my verry well.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

JV

Well, I attended the consignment auction this weekend to look at the L783.  Nice looking machine, new paint, new 12" tires, 3823 hours, 1992 model, 84" bucket, pallet forks, foot controls, 2 speed and the fluids all checked good.  One of the auction crew said a really nice Gehl sold the year before for $4400.  I found the seller and talked to him.  He had a newer model and decided to sell this one.  It really sounded good.  When they finally got to it, the opening bid was $3000.  It jumped to $4000 and then $5000.  Ok, still worth it.  I was about to bid when a rapid fire of bids jumped it to $14,500.  Everyone was in total disbelief including me.  I turned to the seller who was standing next to me and he was in shock and staring at the ground.  He said he would have been happy with $5500.  Oh well, try again this weekend with an 1845C Case.   ::)
John

Bandmill Bandit

Wow that was a high price for that unit. They are a good one and in that vintage the JD and NH are pretty much the same.

What year is the 1845C and how many hours? I put just over 8000 hrs on an 1845 that I sold to my dad and then wore out  2 1845 Cs. They are good machines.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

JV

If I remember right, around 2250 hours.  Looking at the auction photo, it has the late style quick attach.  I'm going up Thursday to look at it and check the serial number.
John

Bandmill Bandit

at 2250 I would not be afraid of it, unless its been abused but even then I could take one apart in my sleep and put it back together if there was a problem with it. If it fell in a bucket of paint look it over carefully. They are a tough machine. I never had any real problems with either of mine. Put just over 7300 on one and little over 9000 on the other with no major repairs out side of normal wear and tear items. Pumps and motors were getting tired at about 8000 on the last one. I ran 15/40 motor oil in the hydraulics and engine.

With hours that low it could be as new as 2000 ish vintage machine as that was the last year they built them.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kansas

I would be curious to know what the blue book value or similar type book put that New Holland at.

Bandmill Bandit

I called a friend of mine locally that works in sales at Brandt Tractor. (JD construction Dealer) In decent shape with good rubber, with out looking at it he figured about 6 to 8 k on a trade in this part of the world. Auction may be a a grand more. He said to take off 25% if it is in Ontario or south of the boarder in the USA. 

JV

I have been to auctions where a couple of guys who didn't like one another would run the bid up to make the other pay a lot or not get an item out of spite.  I didn't know any of the people so I can only speculate.  Also, any auction I have been to made you give them your life history before giving you a bidder's number.   Not so at this one, they gave you the number and if you won something then you went to the office and paid.  Makes me wonder if these guys ran it up and then walked off.  Guess I'm a pessimist, but it didn't support that kind of price. 

I looked at the 1845C yesterday.  The hour meter showed 3 more hours than originally listed, so it's working.  The paint was in super shape and looked original.  The serial number indicates that it is a 1999.  It has a like new bucket and auxiliary hydraulics, standard and high flow.  Ran like a champ.  The only negative was a ding on the back engine compartment door.  Supposed to rain Saturday, so that might keep some bidders away.  Auctions are like shooting dice, so we'll see what happens.
John

barbender

If there isn't a ding on the rear door it hasn't been used ::) I'm a big fan of Case 1845's, I own one that has almost 2000 hours on it. They are simple and reliable, just enough power and lift to do the job without tearing itself up. I've never ran a New Holland, but I've never heard a bad word about them. The Case has a Cummins 3.9 engine running 55-60 hp, once you wear out the skid steer you can power something else with it :) What do the New Hollands have, a Ford diesel?
Too many irons in the fire

JV

Depending on the age, I have seen them listed with Deutz, Perkins, Ford, and even Kohler gas.  Current listings say New Holland, which I assume are Ford.  The L783 had a Ford 201 three cylinder.
John

Bandmill Bandit

Did a search for 99 1845C for sale and the price range is from the high 6k to the low 16K mark.

any thing close to what this one your looking at is in that 8K to 12K range. The 1845C holds its value very well.

Good luck

sandhills

Dings and scrapes and such are usually related more to the tight working quarters around immovable objects than to abuse.  Their manuverability in tight spaces is the number one reason most get sold around here and the scratches and stuff wouldn't even phase me if I were looking for one, if the cab or operators station was all tore up then I'd question it.  Never ran a case that new but did run a small, much older one and it was a good little machine.  I've mostly ran Bobcats (all sizes and makes), a few Gehl and case, but have to say so far my favorite was a big Cat track machine, very user friendly and all the power you could need not to mention very very manuverable in tight spots.

JV

I have ran Bobcats in the past, good machines.  I would consider buying one, if the condition and price were right.  All my other equipment, except two machines are Case.  We have a couple of good Case dealers ag and construction nearby.  My dream machine, however, is an ASV (now Terex) PT-100 with the forestry package.  A little large to do some of my inside chores, but accomodations could be made.   :D
John

Kansas

I like the looks and specs of the Terex machine too. My problem is, those tracks look expensive. And I really wonder how they would hold up twisting around on concrete. We use our New Hollands to move logs inside and load the mills, plus move product out. They are usually on either concrete or gravel. Out in the timber though, that would be the cat's meow.

Randy88

Tracks are too pricey and don't last very long, rubber tires are the way to go, have had case, bobcat, and now two new hollands, bobcat was reliable but a pain to work on, the case was an all around good machine and my newhollands are simple for service and have the level boom lift which is really nice, it all depends on what your going to use it for and how's the tech support and service in your area for each model.   I've had more problems with my first new holland than the others but in the long run they have all served me well.    I now own a 565 and a 190 new holland, the 190 has two speed travel and high flow hydraulics along with both having cabs and heat, in my opinion a must on any machine.   

JV

Well, I went to the consignment auction Saturday.  Got there early at 8:00am to get a parking spot close.  Raining, windy, and cold.  Looked over some things I missed before and went in the building for a cup of coffee.  The crowd increase as the morning progressed and the auctioneers moved along fairly rapidly.  About 1:30, they finally got to the small tractors and skid loaders.  The buckets sold first with a used grapple root rake listing for around $3000 new selling for $2700.  The 1845C was next and opened at $5000.  Went to $13200 in less than a minute, never got to open my mouth.  A New Holland L555 with bucket in no more than fair condition sold for $4500.  It had an L104 backhoe attachment that sold for $1700.  The sale was at a crossroad out in the country.  When I left, I saw trucks parked for nearly a 1/2 mile in all four directions.  The weather was NOT a deterrent.  Lots of optimism.  Looking at Machinery Petes auction site, he stated that auction results were strong.  A gross understatement.  Looking online at dealer ads, I can get newer, lower hour machines for not much more.  Case 40XT's, 70XT's, and 75XT's aren't much more.  New Holland LS 170's and LS 180's are roughly the same as later Case.  I'm patient, so I'll keep looking.  Have to agree about the tracks.  I can get aftermarket add-on steel tracks from a manufacturer nearby a lot cheaper, plus I can take them off when not needed.  If everyone was as optimist as the people at the last two sales, the economy will rebound with a vengeance.   ;)
John

Bandmill Bandit

out of shear experience i would avoid the XT series. They were not a step forward and up for Case and in a lot of little things were a step back. The tend to nickle and dime you to death and the operator station is just plain lousy in about every aspect you can think of.

barbender

That's the reason the 1845 still brings so much dime.
Too many irons in the fire

JV

I just spotted a nice looking 90XT and wondered about the prices I have been seeing.  Looks like I'll have to rethink the whole thing.   :(
John

Randy88

Equipment prices spike and sink, they just happen to be pretty good right now for some reason, keep looking, its also spring and people are thinking progress and good times ahead after a cold long winter, there's still plenty of deals out there to be had but skid steers hold their value more than other machines.    Often times you can get as good a deal from a dealer and maybe a warranty to go with it if you do some negotiating, often times you can step up to a newer machine for not much more money, or an older one for a discount, look at a machine sitting on a different lot, say for example a case on a bobcat lot and things like that, there's also www.ironplanet.com for an internet site that has good overall inspections done to save the hassle of going to an auction in person, there's always a good turnout at an auction and if its local and the owner of the machine well known and liked and he took care of it, anything they own will bring a premium.     

Kansas

Seems like a good skid steer simply doesn't lose value, except by hour count. Its not like when you buy a new car and drive it off the lot and it instantly loses value. The two New Hollands we have both had about 120 hours. They gave us good deals on them, and great deals on the trade ins. They both came with full warranty. The L190 was one of a group used by the National Guard when the tornado hit Greensburg KS. The 185 came out of the racetrack at Kansas City. For all I know, some NASCAR driver hopped in it and took it for a ride.

We don't run heat and enclosed cab. As nice as that would be, we are constantly getting in and out of them. I would be suprised if we don't get in and out of them at least 40 or so times a day. A lot of times it isn't run for a minute. Moving slabs, helping turn a difficult log, getting logs, moving product out, and during mulch season loading a bunch of pickups.

Bandmill Bandit

From personal Experience and also what I am looking for personally, for around a sawmill with a lot of on and off the machine you will be much happier with an unit that has all hand controls. Its just safer and a lot more friendly to multiple operators.

That 1845C at the 13 ish K it sold for was probably a good deal and one hell of a good unit for around a mill.

Thank You Sponsors!