iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for logman 81

Started by oldbones, February 18, 2011, 09:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbones

i read that you've got a fransgard winch. i'm curious what model, and what size tractor you use it with.
my old farmi needs some work done on it, and i'm half tempted to replace it. the dealer i typically go to carries fransgard, so i'm interested in your experience.

oldbones

a number of you have glanced at my question. if any of you logging with tractors and farmis, fransgards, tajfun's etc have views on winches, i'd be interested in your thoughts. i have read the thread on winches from late last year, which has a bunch of good info.

Maine372

what work does your farmi need? what size tractor is it going on?

im familiar with a 351 farmi and cant imagine it needing replaced.

oldbones

the winch is a farmi 300, which i bought in 1985. the notched shelf the chokers sit in has bent (we took out some big maple this year) and the lower pulley is pinned down. i'm sure i can sort that out, so i don't NEED a new winch. but i'm i'm window shopping. i've got some more good size sawlogs to get out--next year and the year after probably-- and a winch with more snort would make things go a bit easier.

a farm 351, like yours, would be an upgrade and the right size. since the guy i mostly deal with sells fransgard, i'm trying to learn more about them. they are a heavier winch than the farmi (according to the spec sheets), and i'm wondering whether the v4000 is oversized for my tractor.

i've got a deere 4510, 39 engine hp/33 pto. as with winches, i'm eyeing a bigger machine.

Ed_K

I had a fransguard 2800 for 6yrs,the #40 roller chain wore out twice,but it worked 40hrs a week.I didn't like the brake mechanism on it.I once pulled up to tight and had to cut the cable to loose it.
I now have a Tajfun 9k# probably has 2k hrs with no problems.It has a brake simlar to your farmi which I like better.I also like that the bottom juts out so I can winch the butts up and they set on the plate some.I don't use the shelf any,just 4 slides on the cable.
Oh,the fransguard had 120 ft of cable,the tajfun has 200,it's 7/16 swedged to 3/8.so it doesn't break very often.It's on a 60 hp 4x4 right now.
The fransguard was on 55hp massy,33hp massy and the 60hp landini which was to much at idle for it.
Captain has it now.(Captain I still have the screen for it).
Ed K

dsgsr

I've had a Fransgard V4000 for 11-yrs now and have had no problems with it. I have it on a JD 4700, 48 eng. hp, same frame size as your 4510.  It can pull my tractor around if I'm not careful. When I was shopping 11-yrs ago the Fransgard was the most robust of the winches of choice. The Tajfun and Wallenstein were not around then and I've heard good things about them.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

isawlogs

Oldbones , if you ever decide to let this one rest and get a new one , I would be interested in it. I have a small tractor here that could be used with it.

Where abouts in VT are you ?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

logman81

oldbones to answer your question I have the model 2800 it is on a 40hp tractor. It has been through two tractors I bought it new I've owned it about a little over ten years. It is a very well built winch and has plenty of pulling power it will drag my tractor backwards with the brakes on if I'm not careful it's that strong! The only thing that has ever broke on it was the roller chain that goes from the pto to the winch drum. Other than that it has been a fantastic winch. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help you any way I can. ;D  
Precision Firewood & Logging

JDeere

Oldbones,  I have had a Farmi similar to yours and it was a very good winch. It was old and used when I bought it (1984) and older when I sold it. I never did a thing to it. I have had a Fransgard as well and now have a Tajfun winch. Of the three, I like the operation and brake system best on the Tajfun. I have only had if for 2-1/2 years so I can't tell you much about the longevity. Mine has a 16,000 lb pull and is on a 115 HP John Deere tractor. I bought mine in Quebec but the US distributor is out of Massachusetts.  https://www.oescoinc.com/html/tajfun_winches.html
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

oldbones

thanks logman and others. i have the feeling i could get any brand of winch and be satisfied. i need to resist the temptation to oversize the model.

isawlogs, i'm in monkton, about half way between burlington and middlebury. i'll let you know if  actually buy anything, as opposed to just dream big. the winch still works, despite looking about as worn as its owner.

logman81

Remember looks don't get the logs out of the woods! If you do buy new make sure to size it to your machine and pay close attention to how there made.
Precision Firewood & Logging

thecfarm

They all do the job.I bought a Norse,Labonville carries them now.My Father and me used it alot.We liked the pivoting butt plate on it.Can be locked into place if needed.This model also comes with boxes to put the chains too.I can get logs higher off the ground than the Farmi too or could when we was looking.The mast is higher on the Norse 450.It has 2 places to put the lower pulley.I have it in the top one.I have this on a 40hp Ford.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mpuste

About two years ago I went shopping for a logging winch to mount on my JD 3520 (37 hp).  Primary purpose was for gathering firewood.  I looked at the Farmi 351p, Wallenstein FX65, and Tajfun EGV35A.  The Farmi and Tajfun appeared comparable in the durability of their design and in my opinion both were better than the Wallenstein.  I ended up purchasing the Tajfun because it provided more features for less money.  It is a well designed unit with thoughful features such as a chainsaw scabbard, towing hitch, hooks for hanging chokers, and storage for my axe.

No problems so far and no regrets.

Thank You Sponsors!