iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Wear

Started by Magicman, February 18, 2011, 05:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I've had to replace several components, especially during the past year.  Stuff wears out.  I bought my mill used with a replacement engine and it now has a replacement hour meter, so I have no idea how many actual hours are on it.

I noticed the stabilizer jacks when moving this morning.  Even they are showing wear with the oblong holes.  I'll switch left and right the next time I remove them to empty sawdust.  With the caps, they still gradually fill up.  The ones under the rail carry the weight and are showing the most wear.

Stabilizers work hard too.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Nothing lasts forever except an old ford and a natural stone,quote Willie.What I hate to see are mills that die young due to neglect and abuse.Long faithfull service like your mill is something to be proud of.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

MM
You do have a recourse if/when the holes get too elongated.

Remove the stabilizer and turn it 90° and drill new holes!  ;D  You can do this 3 times, after that you'd have to purchase new stabilizers!  ;)

But I do understand the "wear factor".

My top rail has is flat where the roller rides fore and aft time after time, but it's not bad enough yet to replace the rail!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

How bad are the pins worn,the holes can be built up with weld.As stated the best fix is to drill the outher side and turn around but that will take a good sized drill press or verticle milling machine.theirs really nothing on a mizer that can't be rebuilt.Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on February 18, 2011, 08:13:10 PM
My top rail has is flat where the roller rides fore and aft time after time, but it's not bad enough yet to replace the rail!

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 18, 2011, 08:45:08 PM
really nothing on a mizer that can't be rebuilt.Frank C. 

Except that top rail that Chuck was talking about.  According to WM, that top rail is the only thing that can not be replaced.   :-\

I could Mig those holes and re-drill them, but just interchanging the inner and outer will be my fix for now.  The pins must be hardened, because I detected no wear in them.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

You never know, if your previous owner was anything like most of us, the pins may be quite new, due to being replaced after being misplaced.

I have my own little wear issue with my mill (sort of similar too - thats very weird timing on your part mm) and will post pics of the fix soon - but only if it works :o ;) :D
Always willing to help - Allan

Jeff

I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this topic title was that Magicman was going to have a fashion show.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sigidi

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2011, 12:41:07 AM
I don't know why, but the first thing that came to mind when I read this topic title was that Magicman was going to have a fashion show.

;D :D ;Dthat is just priceless :o ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

bandmiller2

Magic,you don't think a skillfull welder could replace that round top rail.? I wonder if anyone outside the factory has done it and ended up with true cuts.Most likely the sawyer wears out before the top rail.Frank C.

terrifictimbersllc

i was told by WM that you could strip everything off and replace the whole frame with a new one for about $4500.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bodger

MM, how do you remove the posts to clean them out? 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Magicman

Quote from: Bodger on February 19, 2011, 07:34:36 AM
MM, how do you remove the posts to clean them out?
The 4 bolts that hold the brackets on.  You can see one in the picture.  It's a relatively simple matter.

It sounds like WM may have changed their stance about replacing the top rail, but I really don't think that I will ever have to be concerned with it.

Now, If I can just make a fashion statement.   :)

The right kind of Sawmill Wear.   ;)

Slingshot

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 19, 2011, 05:58:48 AM
Magic,you don't think a skillfull welder could replace that round top rail.? I wonder if anyone outside the factory has done it and ended up with true cuts.Most likely the sawyer wears out before the top rail.Frank C.

I don't consider myself a skillfull welder (learned welding at a vocational school) but when I built
the 4 1/2 extension for my LT30 I was able to install the top AND bottom rails and mate them with
with the originals. I took very precise measurements and used a jig to keep them in alinement .
So if I had a mill with a badly worn rail I think I would feel I could replace it.

And the mill seemed to like it just fine

terrifictimbersllc

Of all my sawing activities, my wife is  most enthusiastic about my purchase of "Sawmill Wear".  Hats, gloves, chaps anything that is meant to be worn on the human body qualifies.   Since I have narrow feet,  a broken toe and a new swing mill,  I ordered a custom pair of Wesco hard toed boots which should come next month. This has her almost over the edge.  

I predict this thread will surpass the your one about sawmill brushes.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I remember your excellent mill extension very well Slingshot, and yes, I agree that it can be done.  I was simply passing on what I had been told by a WM representative.  I now understand that maybe they have changed their stance.  I'm really not surprised, because of their zeal to satisfy their customers.

Now, if we can steer this thread toward food.   digin1    :D

MartyParsons

Well this is not food but I thought you may want to know how much a replacement leg was.
You can get a replacment leg for just $ 37.00
and the new style inner legs have a 45 degree pad for $ 54.00

Hope this helps!

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sdunston

Quote from: MartyParsons on February 20, 2011, 05:07:42 AM
Well this is not food but I thought you may want to know how much a replacement leg was.
You can get a replacment leg for just $ 37.00
and the new style inner legs have a 45 degree pad for $ 54.00

Hope this helps!

Marty
I know in not cheap but what about the new adjustable outriggers?
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Magicman

Thanks Marty.  It was food for thought.   :)

Brian_Rhoad

Drill the hole so you can insert and weld a piece of round tubing with an I.D. the same size as the pin.

Bodger

My mill is only 16 years old, would that still be covered by warranty?
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

woodmills1

So, not food but fashion..................... :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

weisyboy

i to was expecting a catwalk display.

everyting with load bearing and moving parts have wear.

i have recentyl had to replace the winches on my mill as the holes where the pins of had elongated so mutch as to allow for 3" of movement in the rails.

this wasnt a problem you just had to remember to wind below the desired position and then go back up to take up the slack.

other than that and the common things like rollers and belts the old girl ist to bad for a mill with well over 3000 hours on it.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!