iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Lucky Day. (or where's the other 3?)

Started by Jeff, December 11, 2003, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

2nd log of the Day. Minimal Damage, just a set of saw teeth and a couple dinged shanks.  The Shoe nails are still in this one. You can see one sticking up near the left side of the saw marks.

I got lucky, an inch deeper and i would have hit her full bore.  I
guess if ya gotta hit a horseshoe, this is the spot to hit em. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Kinda reminds me of how some of my customers act.

"you almost missed it. Just took the top of the head off. Good thing you weren't any deeper."

..........as I'm removing a blade that has a one and a half foot section of teeth sheered from the body.

Other sayings  that may fall into the same catagory would be>

"Kill it again! Kill it again!!"

My wife was excited after i killed a huge coral snake back in the early '60's

"what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead"

My algebra teacher in the 10th grade.

"A hundred mile an hour head-on collision will kill you really dead"

............as opposed to a 90 mile an hour collision? :D

Jeff

Tom, yer not a circle saw guy. Hitting it that way is a GOOD thing. Hitting one of those with a band, it really dont matter where you hit it, the band is history. With the circle mill hitting a hunk of iron that size could mean THOUSANDS of dollars in damage, not just 20. As it was, the saw teeth were new of course, so it was about a 50 dollar loss for that, plus down time. Very Lucky.

Tom

Yeah, I know. :)   You circle mill guys are tough.  I'm not so sure my nerves could stand running a  5 thousand dollar blade through a log.  I have chest pains now when I lose the $20 blade. :D

Jeff

This one made quite a racket. The blade did not hit solid but followed the edge of the shoe. I knew by the noise and the spark show, this weren't no ordinary nail. :D

woodhaven

Jeff,
What are you trying to do? Scare these band saw guys to death showing stuff like that. One of these days I'm going to drag out some of my old pics of things like that that I've hit. And sometimes I didn't even know I had hit something until the log is shinning on gig back.
Richard

oakiemac

Yikes! That shoe could of been as bad as it gets, unless you run your saw through a cannon ball or something. :(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Stump Jumper

Jeff dont youall have metal detecters :o :o .  can you estemate how far up the tree it was? i have heard of one being 40 feet up .didnt think a horse could throw a shoe that hi :o :o :o
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Tom

There is an old thread floating around here somewhere that has "Things found in a log", Woodhaven.  Maybe you should look for your pictures and bring that thread back.  :D

Stump Jumper, I heard that Michigan horses climb trees. They're trying to stay out of the snow. :D

ronwood

Jeff,

What would have happen to the saw if you hit it head on. Damage the teeth and the blade itself. Not been around circular mill enough to know how bad it can get.
 ::) ::)
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

This was a 10 foot butt log. Near as I can count, the tree was about 45 years old. It was about a 15-16 inch log. This picture shows the shoe was in the tree when it was just a sapling. The pith is in the center of the shoe and the show was horizontal in the tree. This picture is the position the tree would have been in.

And nope, no metal detectors.

Fla._Deadheader

Lived next to a guy in Arkansas, that had a mill years before. Power was lacking in them days, so, they used a flywheel of some sort, to help the saw get through the log. One day they hit a shoe head-on. Heard that it ripped whole tooth sockets off and broke the mandrel. Flywheel part went out the end of the saw shed???

My old neighbor was offbearing. He said the guys left out like Quail gettin up. ::) ;D

I never hit nothing bigger than a rock or White Insulator. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

ronwood,

The potential is there for catastophic saw failure. Not likely, but certainly possible. That means the whole saw coming unglued from the arbor and throwing shrapnel. Not a picture thatI want to be in. More likely would be to knock off several shoulders. The meat part of the saw that holds the shanks and teeth. Generally over 4 digits to repair.

woodhaven

Hey Jeff,
I got a old 48" blade that was given to me. It has a 8" crack in the center of the dish. All the teeth and shanks are still in it. Except for rust and the crack it might be usable. There is no saw shop anywhere around here that I now of. You think it would worth the expense to ship it off to have it looked at? I was told they were still using it even with the crack but it did have a lot of  viberation. If it could be made usable for a thousand dollars or less it would still be a lot cheaper than a new one.
Richard

Buzz-sawyer

Hey woodhaven...I know you were addressing Jeff ...But I gotta question...is it a hairline crack?
Are you little nervous bout spinnin it ?
I would maybe weld it then see if itll stand up...
A little dicey though eh?
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

I would absolutely not run that saw till its repaired. I have heard of saws that were cracked fragmenting. Cracks are repairable, but in my book, the saw is never quite right. Ya know what that cracked saw is good for?

Neil_B

Now that's cool. Would look great in MY living room.  :)
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Ed_K

I like that saw, anyone ever offer you something for it???
 Ed
Ed K

D._Frederick

Jeff,
It sure seems funny that a mill operation your size would not have a metal detection system. It seems that the liability of not having one would be more than the cost of having one. I sure wouldn't want to be around if a circle blade comes unglued.

craigc90

I was wondering if the guys scaling the logs look for mineral stain in the but of the log. With a piece of iron that big it looks like the stain would be visable

Minnesota_boy

Some of the species I saw don't stain more than an inch or 2 from the iron.  No stain on the butt, none on the previous cut, then suddenly the screech of sawing metal.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

craigc90

That is scary I am still new at this. I will have to put that in the memory banks.

Tom

Jeff saws so fast that the log is gone before his eyes focus on the end of the log.  He spends most of his time making sure he doesn't hit one of the off-bearers with the boards as they fly past.  

For him to look for stain would be kinda like "Fire-ball" Roberts stopping on the #2 curve to change a flat.

Have you ever seen his little movie showing him cut a log?  WOW!  Wildflower took it with their digital.

Fla._Deadheader

Ed used our Digital last week to make a movie of "Homey" in action. Didn't turn out too well???  Any input from someone that does this??? We have a Sony FD-83
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

craigc90

A few years ago we took a few loads of logs to a local mill and the guy who scaled them looked at the butt of every log.We had a 30 plus inch Walnut with blue stain in the but.they rolled it over to the side and ran a metal detector over it and they cut the metal out with a chainsaw. Then they payed me blocking price for the rest of the log. They also had metal detector the logs went thru after they were debarked.Seems like a small price to pay for safety and loss of down time.

Thank You Sponsors!