iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Mississippi Alligator Gar!!

Started by fishpharmer, February 18, 2011, 12:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sandhills

Very impressive, can't say I'd want him in the boat with me though :D

Magicman

I read about it in the Jackson paper this morning.  That has to truly be a fish of a lifetime.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Now thats a fish ,are they good to eat ? If so that would hold a fellow over the winter  :D
Bill

Norm

Wow!

That's one huge fish. Thanks for showing us James.

ely

they say van camps uses gar to make fish sticks out of. that is a great fish for sure.

isawlogs

Sure is a big one, lots of teeth in that snout too ...   dangle_smiley   :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

northwoods1

Quote from: ely on February 18, 2011, 08:48:11 AM
they say van camps uses gar to make fish sticks out of. that is a great fish for sure.

I'm pretty sure what they use is Alaskan Pollock. In Alaska that is what you use for bait to catch fish that is worth eating.

Texas Ranger

James, if you could pond raise them to that size, your fortune would be made.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ErikC

Or if one got in your pond, it would be lost overnight :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

If James had that one in his pond, he wouldn't have any catphish left to pharm.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

OMG!!!! :o That's one big dinosaur!
50-70 years old, too. A "Baby Boomer"? :D
I'm glad that was donated to the MS Museum to be mounted so others can look at it, too.
Magicman-you're from down there, right?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

That's a big'n for sure  :o I see why they are called what they are, they eat gators.  Well, do ya see many gators in MS? :D :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: clww on February 18, 2011, 03:32:21 PM
Magicman-you're from down there, right? 

Yup, I'm just downstream a bit from him.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 18, 2011, 07:12:13 PM
Well, do ya see many gators in MS?

We do have an alligator season in specified areas.  Of course, that has nothing to do with alligator gars.  They get their name from their alligator like snouts.

I ate alligator gar once, but that was only because we didn't catch any catfish, only one old gar.  We laughed at him until he became supper.

SwampDonkey

:D :D Now you gone and ruined a good joke. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

fishpharmer

Here is another photo of the actual fish, with two grown men kneeling down behind it.

fishpharmer

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 18, 2011, 11:41:11 AM
James, if you could pond raise them to that size, your fortune would be made.

Amen.  Only problem would be  getting the fortune to buy enough fish to feed a gator gar to that size.  Not sure what the feed conversion ratio would be, usual goes up with the size of the fish.  Lets just say it is 25 lbs of fish for one pound of gain (and thats a pure guess), it would take 8,175 lbs of feed (smaller fish) to gain that size. Assume I paid $5.00 per pound for forage minnows (big ones).    After $40K and most my lifetime  was gone I might have a fish that large.  Hmmm.  Better stick with catfish for now.  Wonder if my daughter wants a pet baby gator gar? :D

No way to really know for sure , it could have come from the river. Chotard lake connects to the MS river.  An amazing animal for sure.  

Ianab

That's some serious fish there.  :o

We have a "pet" freshwater Eel in the back garden stream that's about 4ft long, a pretty impressive fish, but compared that it's just a minnow.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

treefarmer87

thats a big one :o, we have some in the james river here but not that big!
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

I wonder how big sturgeon get? I've seen some big ones in a local fish hatchery, they were selling the row for caviar. We have them in the lower part of the river and there is a season.

isawlogs

They grow quite big and live more then 50 years " Cet animal peut atteindre une longueur de 4,26 m. pour un poids de 367 kg. et a une espérance de vie dépassant les 50 ans."  Ya I know its French but most of yous can figure out the numbers ... ;D 

Marcel

SwampDonkey

That's Kg not pounds and metres not feet, so it's thrown everyone off for sure. ;)

You guys remember Red Rose Tea years ago putting those porcelain figurines in the box. I have one here of a sturgeon, but I think I got it at a flee marker for a buck. Just one of them things as a memento. I think it's endangered in some places.

Thank You Sponsors!