iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Canola Oil as B&C oil

Started by Blue Sky, February 17, 2011, 08:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Sky

I just read an article in an arborist magazine(Tree Care Industry-Feb-2011-Mark Przekurat)) about a fella using canola oil as a bar and chain oil.  Now I just went out last November,2010 and bought a 55 gallon drum of summer weight for $9.40/gal, up from 630 from 2 years ago.  The article really looks at the effects of using regular B&C versus canola oil, from the water perspective-i.e. pollution. canola oil is far cheaper and makes good sense.  What do YOU think, folks?

snowstorm

i have heard of it. they used it to cut up a moose. it might have been before we had a moose season here

sawguy21

Biodegradable oils are becoming more popular especially with municipal crews. Their bosses are under the granola and bicycle crowd microscope.
As snowstorm noted, canola oil is also used when cutting meat
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ChuckinVa

I have heard of this when log home builders were cutting logs. They said that the vegetable oil didn't discolor the logs.

WH_Conley

I bought a new saw just to use that oil in, just to cut wood, mind you , ;D, Dang yahoo buddy of mine used regular B&C, tastes bad.
Bill

wdncno

I've been using it on and off for a few years- no ill effects- about $5 for 3 litres

tjdub

fuzzybear

Quote from: tjdub on February 18, 2011, 11:50:27 AM
Not very useful as a winter oil :)
Actually if you mix it 25/75 with diesel it works great. I've been using it for a long time with no ill effects.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

crtreedude

We use it in our pruning saws - works just fine.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

JimMartin9999

Sorry, I am not much of a mechanic.  Can you simply use canola( salad oil) as bar oil?  And my saw won`t  burn up?
It   is a  lot cheaper than bar oil in upstate NY.
Jim

fuzzybear

I have been using it for years. Those that say it can't be used are just plain affraid to try it.
They scream "chain stretch" ....ok I have to adjust the chain about 3-4 individual times more over the life off the chain.  They scream about it sticking up the bar.....if you invest 100's of dollars into the saw you should be doing daily maintanance on the saw.  This should include cleaning the saw and bar on a daily basis. I have NEVER had a bar gunk up on me. I have never really noticed any difference in bar were .As said before it doesn't discolor logs when building. If you are cutting in a wetland area you will soon be required to use it or something similar.

I use it mixed with diesel in the winter. But this is only when the temperature drops to around-30c. I switched to canola because of the cost. $15/gal for bar oil  or $20/5gal of canola.  That was 5 years ago. With over 2000 cords of wood and 2 log cabins late, I'm sold on it.
FB

ely

plus ,,,, wait for it, wait for it, waaaaiiittt for iiiittttt. bam, you can use it in a skillet to fry up some of that fish.

lets see you do that with b&c oil.

fuzzybear

Quote from: ely on February 18, 2011, 04:07:47 PM
plus ,,,, wait for it, wait for it, waaaaiiittt for iiiittttt. bam, you can use it in a skillet to fry up some of that fish.

lets see you do that with b&c oil.
:D :D :D

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Norm

This is good information, thanks. I've used it in my electric chainsaw to split beefers and hogs in half but not the others.

LeeB

SO, what chain do you guys use for cutting meat? How rough a cut does it make? I need to slaughter a hog or two when I get home.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

The chain was the same I used on wood. Keep in mind that new chain is coated with a protective oil that you'll want to clean off before using. I also used canola oil from day one in it. It is a pretty rough cut and on hogs I now just use my meat saw. On beefers I take them into the butcher and he splits them for me. Doing one at home was just too much for us.

Dale Hatfield

I have used it to carve with for some time.
Only problem I have with it is......
It collects fine saw dust and will build up on cooling fins.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

LeeB

Thanks Norm. I think I'll stick to the meat saw too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

fuzzybear

I use a regular chain for cutting up moose.  It takes a 3 hour job and turns it into a 1 hour job. Now this is just rough cutting, 1/4ing the moose up fast.  When you live and hunt in an area where the bears outnumber the humans you tend to want to get the job done fast.  :D
 Most of the meat around the cuts is very rough. With a little knife work it cleans up good and the "wasted" meat goes for my pack of dogs. They love moose meat.  Dog food here is $55 a bag. So they get a lot of scrap meat and bones. They stay happy and keep me safe.
FB

Ed_K

Yrs ago, we did 7 deer in 15 min's with homy and veg oil  :D :D 8) .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!