iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Historic oaks poisoned at Auburn University...

Started by chain, February 17, 2011, 07:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I know some of you southern foresters have heard the sad and alarming news of someone poisoning 140 yr. old live oaks on campus at Auburn. One thing, the esthetic value lost of such trees, but another is quite possibly the furthering of restrictions put on forest herbicides.

Have any of you experienced such, as the wanton killing of trees, for spite? I welcome your comments, thanks!

WDH

I did not know that this had happened.  What a shame.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I had not heard of it either.

I have heard of neighborhood disputes where a person will poison another's trees.  Usually it has to do with the tree dropping leaves or fruit on another's property or the roots breaking up a driveway or foundation.   I don't see the correlation between this and the curtailment of legalized herbicides.   Is this idea of further restrictions on forest herbicides a supposition on your part, or is there something factual in the works?

There are links available and the perpetrator is in custody.

chain

Yes, I'm speculating, but by the time treehuggers get through with this...it's gonna hit the fan!..The product used was reportedly "Spike 80 DF" [I've never used it]. the product may have federal restrictions. A guy called a Alabama sport show bragging about his dirty deed, even gave his first name and home town, that's how the authorities arrested him so quickly. Read one blog said the fellow was age 62. $50,000.00 bond.

Ron Wenrich

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

RPF2509

I read too that SPIKE 80 was used.  I used this herbicide in an industrial plant to keep out the weeds and it sure does work - bare ground for several years.  If enough was put down and the trees had time to absorb it they won't make it

Slabs

My Dad, and I, have walked under that tree many times.  He was class of 39 and I the class of 78.

Inter-rivalry pranks have been an institution since the beginnings of the colleges  but have mostly been only "slightly destructive" nothing of this magnitude.

The picture that I saw on national news of the perpetrator shows that he is not one of the college "kids" that normally pulls harmless pranks and the structure of his statement leaves me to believe that he is not a product of a college environment.  This was obviously NOT a rivalry prank.

The event was misguided and unfortunate, now let's get beyond it.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Tom

Sorry, I can't get beyond it until he has been issued his due.

He is irresponsible, is a bad example to our youth, and a poor representative of our elderly.  I hope he catches the book they throw and doesn't miss a page.

Those seeds were sown during the darkest days of our country's history and he wiped out over a century of history with a smirk.

DanG

I'm with Tom.  It is a sad day when someone will destroy a precious heirloom just because the football team he favored wasn't good enough to defeat their rival.  He should be made an example of. >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I just learned on Facebook that a group at The University of Alabama has been formed, called "Tide for Toomer's".  They have raised over $8,000 to help save the trees at Toomer's Corner.  While the effort may prove futile, it is a good gesture.  I participate in several forums that mostly center around the Southeast, and I've seen that Alabama fans are absolutely livid about this...even moreso than Auburn fans.  That's the way it should be, IMHO.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tree-farmer

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2011, 09:55:08 PM
He should be debarked and sawn.

watch for the rocks in his head, could ruin a good blade  ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

fat olde elf

As usual I agree 100% with Tom, DanG, and WDH. I have listened to the recording of this jerk several times. This man needs to have a complete mental exam ASAP. His actions and rhetoric go way beyond the bounds of team support and loyalty.

I love big old trees.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

sandhills

I'm not sure I'd worry much about rocks in his head, from what I read sounds pretty much like dead air space to me, saw away.

Jeff

And he used to be a Texas state trooper.  >:(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Now, that's something to think about when you see the blue lights flashing.  :-\

customsawyer

I think they should tie him to the trees and let the linemen take a run at him.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doctorb

What punnishment do you think is just here?  I am not trying to be funny, either.  What can the state legally impose upon this man as a penalty?  I mean, is the crime just regular old run-of-the-mill destruction of personal property?  The tree, given its position and history, is, in my eyes and those of many others that are not connected to either of these schools, priceless.

In Europe, there are several analogous crimes that have occurred in the past.  For example, the crazy who chopped off the bronze mermaid statue's head that resides in Copenhagen's harbor.  How about the nut who started smashing the feet of Michalangelo's classic sculpture David, or the defacing the another Michalangelo sculpture, the Pieta, in St. Peter's cathedral in Rome.  When I was 18, I saw the Pieta up close.  I mean I was within 6 feet of it.  I was back in Rome this summer, now you view it from behind a glass barrier at a distance of 50 or more feet.  Shame.  Oh I know that these objects were man-made works of art, and eternally famous, but, IMHO what's the difference in this tree poisoning crime versus these others?  
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sandhills

In my eyes absolutely none, they were a landmark 130 years old that will take at least 2 generations to get back and that's if everything works out.  I say make an example of him and make it good, don't know what the penalty should be but it needs to be severe IMO.  What a moron.

Jeff

They have ways of determining replacement value on trees like that, and replacement value I am sure would top 100,000 or more.  It is possible to move huge trees. http://www.treemover.com/

He should be socked with that cost, plus fines and charged with any applicable crimes. Willful and Malicious Destruction of Property at the very least.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

He probably doesn't have the money anyway. ::)  I understand there was more than one tree involved, so they could charge him with separate crimes for each one and make the sentences run consecutively.  That should tie him up till he is 80 or 85.  I agree with tieing him to the trees and let the Offensive line have their way with him.  From what I'm hearing, it would be kinder to let the Auburn line do it than Alabama's boys. 

I just hope they don't take those trees to the landfill.  They could make a whole bunch of really neat benches to put in that little park, just from the branches of those trees.

beenthere

I think maybe this is one guy who should be locked in stocks of yore, under the trees he has poisoned and remain there for at least the summer. Maybe he could then appreciate the shade these trees with their leaves would have provided for him while he sweats it out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Actually, he does have some money in the form of a government pension.  Restitution can come from there and a ton of community service, preferably to the Auburn university grounds maintenance crew. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

chain

Don't discount a southern defense lawyer [humor]...

Shucks..When a wife can shotgun her hubby in the back while he lay sleeping..and trial by jury..the defendant walks....in Tennessee.

Let's see..the defense in this 'tree killer' case will have sparks flying for some time..here's how defendant may come to be a hero:

1. Defense lawyer gets change of venue to Tuscaloosa, AL.
2. Trial by jury
3. Defense proves Defendant has best interest of Auburn fans in mind when poisioning trees by proving:

a. old growth trees most susceptible to lightning strikes thus, by the defendants heroic action, saves students and fans from death and injury
   b. limbs fall from old trees, again saving students and possibly young children from serious injury

4. Jury begins to weep over the terrible accusations against Defendant...

Not Guilty! ::)

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

chain

Quote from: Banjo picker on February 20, 2011, 10:55:05 AM
I don't see any humor to this story...Tim

Very true Tim, there is no humor in the fact, yet..my obviously poor attempt at satire rests the case. We often are disappointed as justice does not always prevail, and that is why I chose the subject of my satire, as to point out or attack human folly.

Thank You Sponsors!