iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bluebirds

Started by doctorb, February 16, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Right on time, the bluebirds are building their nests in my old boxes, and both of the new ones.  Right now I have a total of 4.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Burlkraft

No Blue Birds here yet. We have the wren problem. We also don't have that much open space. (DanGed woods)

We've had a pair around but they keep getting kicked out.

I'm going to , with all this great info from Doc, move a couple of the houses to the front yard and see if we can't get a nesting pair this year.

Thanks Doc  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

doctorb

Open space is essential to attract bluebirds.  Much of the comeback of this species was due to placing bluebird boxes around golf courses, which offer the perfect combination of open space and dispersed trees habitat.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

wwsjr

3 eggs in one box, building nests in two more. Hope for another good hatch this year.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

doctorb

Great wwsjr!  I love taking credit for mother nature!  I really do!

This is my bible for bluebird attraction and care.  It covers their annual cycles, predators, habitat, everything.  I don't know if it's still in print, but it's available through amazon - used (I think) and ebay.  This paperback was the key, for me, to understand how to optimize bluebird propagation and enjoyment.

Bluebird
by Lawrence Zeleny.  1976

Burlkraft

I surveyed the front yard and we should be able to fix them up with one house in the prime area.

We'll see what happens
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Saw our first bluebird today. Have been trying to discourage the sparrows from hanging around the nesting box in the meantime. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

This winter has certainly reset the bluebird clock.  Their nesting seems to be 2-3 weeks behind the usual schedule.  I have new nests in 4-5 of my boxes.

thecfarm

WE have been seing them. But no nest building is taking place.  :(  at this time. I'm a hoping for at least a pair.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alcranb

Saw a pair earlier this week checking out a nesting box but the sparrows sure kick the tar out of them :(
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

ron barnes

I have one box about 20 feet outside from where my home computer is located.  The nest has 5 eggs since 4/18.  I love watching them.

wwsjr

We have bluebirds in only one of three houses. Five eggs hatched in last few days. No birds have been around the other two houses. We had about 45 birds hatch last year.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

drobertson

I recently read a good article on these beautiful lil birds, and too my surprise, at least two are nesting in my mill shed, no house,  just in the corner between a 6x post and 2x purling.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

doctorb

Now that is unusual.  These birds are definitely cavity nesters, but when there's a will.....

drobertson

It was early this morning at the mill, saw this one on the line, then another, went around for hopefully a better view. Pitiful camera, but they are blue birds, once out of the shed one flew in, the fuzzy picture if you look close you can see the blue, pitiful camera, 

Just strange considering their need for privacy, but the field is a good one, I have counted over half a dozen around the shed,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

doctorb

No question, that's a bluebird nest!  Really cool!  I've never seen them do that before.  thanks

beenthere

I just hope these bluebirds escape the cats and raccoon's.  They seem to be the death knell for baby blue's.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Quote from: beenthere on April 28, 2014, 09:44:16 PM
I just hope these bluebirds escape the cats and raccoon's.  They seem to be the death knell for baby blue's.
We can only hope that Missy does her job in running off the critters!  glad she does not climb, cause she likes to chase birds, and log trucks, bad habit,

drobertson

Unbelievable, we did get a hatch, but my varmint chaser got one of the babies! she is very soft mouthed, and I put the lil one back in the nest, not sure how this will work.  Missy got a dove in mid air in our chicken coop once, came up to the house bird in mouth, I released her grip, and the bird looked at me, and took off,  same today, but the poor lil thing still could not fly quite yet, seemed ok, find out tomorrow.  I've seen several working on flying all around the last few days, lil birds sure have a hard hoe to row learning to get air.

Thank You Sponsors!