iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bluebirds

Started by doctorb, February 16, 2011, 08:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

February 15 marks the start of "bluebird season" in central Maryland.  The males have returned in full mating plumage (they never really left - saw them all winter )to choose and ready this years' nesting boxes.  I have tried every DanG design of bluebird house, and have just received a new one from Stovall Products ( made in Michigan ).  Kind of cool in that it has a hinged door on each side of the box.  One has a plastic see through partition so you can peek in during nesting without having chicks fall out, and the other door opens directly into the box for cleaning.  (while this sounds like a good idea I can tell you from experience that the clear plastic partition get mighty filthy with guano).  We'll see how this model works.  Need to get them up and mounted within the week or they could be ignored until the second brood of the year.  Spring's a' comin' soon.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Birds nesting in February? Unheard of up here on the tundra. ;) Actually the ravens and eagles start next month and there will be snow here until about May or mid May I suspect. We had a spring too early last year, so have to make up for it you know. ;D

Mom sees a blue bird once in awhile down in Woodstock (here in NB) during summer. I've never seen one here. I see northern parulas on migration in spring time, they are slate gray with yellow throat and chest and small as a chickadee or bluebird. They are loud little buggers. I only notice them in flocks. Seems they winter in Florida and the Keys. You've got them down there during nesting season to Doc.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Swamp- don't get the wrong idea.....the male bluebirds are just staking out territory.  They are certainly not nesting yet.  Actual acceptance of a nesting site by the pair is not until mid-March.  Nest building doesn't start until April 9 or so.

How do I know this minutiae?  Because there is a great book entitled THE BLUEBIRD by Lawrence Zeleny that provides a timetable for bluebirds in Maryland, and I have followed my bluebirds and my boxes for many (over 20) years.  His timetable has never been off by more than a few days.  astounding
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Don K

With the spring like weather we have had the last couple of days, the bluebirds are talking up a storm and checking out the nest boxes. Spring is just around the corner.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

Doc, we used to go by a certain date with the barn swallow to, but since most got froze out in May of 1996 we haven't noticed very many around. Right around the 20th of May they arrived and the 22nd of August they were gone. When they leave, they are all gone. They used to be on the hydro wires by the hundreds on migration. The chimney swift has pretty much disappeared to. And the nighthawk is getting scarce, although last summer I saw quite a few on a thinning block. They were on bare patches of ground among the small softwood trees. Nice to here them out in the deep woods, diving for bugs at dusk and early evening. Vroooooom. :)

Song and dive by nighthawk

Northern Parula

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

Swampdonkey ,  :) not exactly... owls nest very early in the year. I bet they are nesting in February even up by you.

I love the bluebirds and have a lot of boxes out at my farm. My biggest problem is the bears, when one figures out that there is something worth checking out in the boxes it will make a go round and tear every box down. Last year I had a funny thing happen when I was going around and cleaning out the boxes. I got a late start at it and the bluebirds were actually here already. I opened up one of the boxes and a mouse had taken up residency , had a nice nest made up out of fluff from cedar bark. He peered out of it at me like he was saying what do you want? I just lifted the entire works out with him in it and set it on a post next to the box. As soon as I walked away a bluebird flew up and started to tear his nest apart and began flying over to the box to stick it back in there.  :)

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 17, 2011, 06:07:13 AM
Doc, we used to go by a certain date with the barn swallow to, but since most got froze out in May of 1996 we haven't noticed very many around. Right around the 20th of May they arrived and the 22nd of August they were gone. When they leave, they are all gone. They used to be on the hydro wires by the hundreds on migration. The chimney swift has pretty much disappeared to. And the nighthawk is getting scarce, although last summer I saw quite a few on a thinning block. They were on bare patches of ground among the small softwood trees. Nice to here them out in the deep woods, diving for bugs at dusk and early evening. Vroooooom. :)

Song and dive by nighthawk

Nighthawks are cool birds, typically they just pass through here where I live. Whenever I see one it reminds me of the time I spent up around the shores of Lake Superior camping. They are similar to a whipoorwill and I have noticed that they seem to be finally making a comeback around here. Last summer I had one which would come and sit on the roof of the house and sing its song.

Ironwood

Saw my first male BB just last Sunday, ahhh signs of spring, KEEP them coming.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I'm sure they nest early enough, but when you read about the breeding season of birds in books they aren't usually specific to a region. Take the barred owl, one site says breeding Feb.-Aug, while the birds take 6 weeks to fledge and are with their parents for 4 months. I'm not so sure they are nesting in New Brunswick in Feb, but maybe in Mississippi. ;)

Wrangler55

Quote from: doctorb on February 16, 2011, 08:00:17 PM
February 15 marks the start of "bluebird season" in central Maryland.  

Wow, we don't have a season on them here in East Tennessee.  What's the daily limit? Do you use a bird dog and what size shot do you use?  Fixed right I bet they taste just like chicken!

I couldn't help myself.... There are a few things red-necks shouldn't do, like playing golf or birdwatching.  Taking one look down a fairway, the only thing that comes to mind is: "I wonder how many cows I could pasture on this field?"  Or go birdwatching without an English Setter and a double barrel.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

doctorb

Couple of comments-

1.  Used to hear Whip-poor-will every night when in Canada in the summer.  Either I am going to bed earlier, and sleeping sounder, or they are not as plentiful (or moved on) as they used to be.

2.  Nighthawks are most definitely cool birds.  If you see one and there's a kid around, take the electronic device from the kid's hands and let him watch the bird's display.  I remember thinking that the bird was farting during its high-speed dive and pull out that is so unique.  If watching a nighthawk do their thing doesn't pique the natural interest of a child, then the kid has spent way too much time on a computer!

It's an interesting group of birds, the nightjar family.  Some you mostly see way up in the sky, and others you mostly just hear.  They are beautiful when seen close up.

3.  My bluebird predators are cats and snakes.  The biggest problem with right-minded people who mount their first bluebird house is that they often put it too close to, or even into, the woods.  Wrens will fill up these boxes in an hour or two, making it impossible for the bluebird to occupy the box.

Norm

It's funny you should mention this as Monday I saw two male bluebirds at our place. This is pretty early for us and they are the ones that migrate through. In our area they seem to time raising their young to when the crickets and grasshoppers are thick. They'll sit on the power lines outside of my office window and then swoop down on the driveway to grab them. One of my favorite birds to watch but we have a heck of a time getting them to use the houses we put out. The wrens get evicted pretty quick but they are persistent.

thecfarm

I have no idea when the season starts here.I do know it's not in Feb.I have about 20 birdhouses,some in the field,by a rock and some on outbuildings.Mine are nothing fancy at all.Just some plywood is all I use.I find out the shallows will nest in the houses and drive the blue birds away.Some times I'll see 3 pairs but only one will stay.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Norm-

Couple of tips on the placement of bluebird boxes.

1.  One box for every 100 yards, minimum.  Placing them closer together will not get you more nesting pairs.

2.  Place them on a fencepost with a small tree about 23-50 feet away.  Do not put them on the edge of a tree line or woods.  Often, fences are placed on the border between field and woods, so not all fence posts are created equal to bluebirds.  Wrens are not birds of open fields.  They like intricate stuff like buildings and trees and down wood.

3.  Water nearby helps.

4.  Face the box east or north.  As most of these boxes are exposed to the sun for most, if not all, of the day, a west facing opening lets in more hot air.  I have found that they don't select west facing boxes, unless shaded, as readily as those facing east or north.

5.  While its OK to have the second nest of the year built right on top of the first, clean out any other bird's nests right away, and clean out the box at the end of every season.  One of my problems is that I lie the chickadees and tree swallows too and can't bring myself to destroy their nests.  The wrens often just fill the boxes with sticks, ruining multiple sites in their attempt to take over the territory.  Cheeky buggers!

Patty

Well I did everything right except for the facing direction, when i put up the bluebird house. It faces west, placed on a tall post, about 15' from a small apple tree. Last year all I had was wrens in there. I did not have the heart to tear out the wren nest until all her babies were gone.  ::)   Wrens need love too.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

chain

Bluebirds are actually rare where we are in Mo. Nevertheless, we've put up three boxes and will watch and see what goes. What did bluebirds nest in "before fences?"

SwampDonkey

The thing about nest boxes for bluebirds came about because other birds not native here compete for their natural nesting places. So the nest box is made to a specific diameter hole for them that the other birds can't access. Birds like the European starling and the English Sparrow, both of which I don't care for. Bluebirds, like the other two birds nest near human habitation. I like sparrows like the native white-throated sparrow, no bird has any prettier a song in the breeding season. :)

Shotgun

I kept bluebird houses for years until the shrubs/trees grew taller and left the habitat undesirable for bluebirds. I put up two bluebird houses within 10 or 15 yards of each other and then the tree swallows would use one and the bluebirds the other. It worked fine.

I built the houses several at a time, like a production line, and it only took a couple of hours to build a dozen after you had the materials gathered.  I made the boxes so that one side hinged up and I checked the nest and hatchling conditions every two or three days, and kept records of development. Never had a young one fall out. I had a regular route of the boxes. The hole size is fairly critical for the intended target bird. I made the hole area a double thickness and the bottom of the box far enough from the hole to prevent the raccoons from reaching the little ones.

I always cleaned the old nests out right after they fledged, so that the subsequent nest would be essentially free of the insect critters that the boxes usually accumulated as the young birds grew up. The mom would have to arrange the furniture each time.   ;)

I miss having them, but they still come back to the area even though there isn't suitable habitat for them to nest now. They're always fun to hear, for sure, when they're around.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

northwoods1

Quote from: Norm on February 17, 2011, 07:31:45 AM
In our area they seem to time raising their young to when the crickets and grasshoppers are thick. They'll sit on the power lines outside of my office window and then swoop down on the driveway to grab them.

I noticed the same thing. Gets to be so that every fence post in the field has a bunch of grasshopper legs sitting on it the only part they don't like to eat apparently. The sure do eat the bugs though, one reason I love to have them around.

doctorb

What's interesting about these new boxes is that the opening is rimmed with metal.  Many larger birds, especially Starlings, like these boxes enough to try to enlarge the opening to suit their species.  If you boxes have the tell-tale signs of having their openings enlarged, place a new opening over the old one to prevent them from entering.

And, you're right.... bluebirds tolerate tree swallows nearby just fine, and visa versa, but bluebirds do not tolerate another nesting bluebird pair that close.  You could put up a box every ten yards and still only get one pair every 100 - 150 yards.

wwsjr

I saw a male yesterday for the first time. We had 54 birds hatch last year in 6 boxes located around our house. I learned that the boxes must be at least 100 yds apart or they will not nest.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

kderby

I want to say it again as I feel it is an important dynamic...

The swallow and the bluebirds are territorial with their own species but not across species.  The Swallow can kick a bluebird out of a nest box.  The solution is more nest boxes.  Swallows and bluebirds can be good neighbors.  If there is enough nest box habitat available, they will nest at the same location.

Another tip: English sparrows are territorial and will drive other bird species out of a nest box.  The male sparrow will then defend his territory and invite the female to his nest.  I capture the female at night on the nest and dispose of her and the nest.  The male will rebuild and go back to advertising.  He will keep the other males away.  The next female will meet the same fate as the first female.  English Sparrows are not a protected species, weed out as many as you can.

Bird houses are a superb use for small / marginal roughsawn lumber.  Spread the joy, help the birds!

Kderby

beenthere

Over many years of bluebirds, I've not had a time when the swallows prevail in their nest box. Just sayin..

Sparrows get the shot shell treatment, but so don't have many around.  Took down a blue bird box that was within 100 yards, as the blue birds seem to feel they had to protect both boxes and didn't find time to make a family. One box will have three families in a summer if there are no disasters.

They are a joy to have around. Especially on migration days in the fall when 25-30 bluebirds stop by (I'd guess they were born here and stop to check it out on their way south).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Tree swallows will take over here. They are like the bluebirds I suspect and will only tolerate another occupied nest box if several yards away, quite a ways away. The swallows will also drive off the English sparrows. Barn swallows are a lot more tolerant of one another, they will nest two or three  side by side in the barns and sheds, camp eves and forest road bridges. They have learned that a small group is better to defend their nests from invaders.

doctorb

Put up 2 new boxes last week.  One was a replacement and one was in a new spot.  I was out by the OWB shed yesterday and watched a group of about 6 bluebirds investigate the new box.  As I said earlier, in my neck of the woods, you've got to get your boxes cleaned out and ready by February 15, even though it seems way to early, for the first brood of the year to make a home in your box.  It was 68 degrees out yesterday.  Green shoots are popping up in protected areas.  Won't be long now.

Thank You Sponsors!