iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nice find today

Started by Magicman, February 15, 2011, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

With all of the leaves off, now is a time to walk through and see what has happened in the woods.  I spotted this nice Cherry tree down.   I stepped off 36' to the butt and it looked like 16"-18" dbh.  It's going to be a bugger getting it out.  It will take a winch line and a couple of blocks.  I'll try to bring two 18's out, but I may have to whack it.  If that Red Oak on the left comes out, it will be firewood.

I hope it's solid.  There was very little taper for the entire 36'.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

nice find for sure. i want to see inside. pics please. yeah i know you have to get it out of the woods first. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

riverswamp sawyer

WOW !!  nice Cherry tree....
I was given 4 large cherry trees last year almost that large but the centers were rotten.....

I hope yours is solid..... That would make some pretty lumber!!

Magicman

Not really having an immediate use for the lumber, I'll really have to give some serious thought to buck length.  The picture really doesn't show it, but that baby is in the bottom of a hollow.    :-\  Gonna be work.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

Even if it is hollow, the good stuff is on the outside. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

That is a nice find! I love a good cherry log :)

Good luck getting her out of the woods!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

I would think that a 10 foot log would provide sizes that would exceed most woodworker's needs.  Wouldn't it be easier to take it out in smaller hunks?  Your tractor's loader could pick a small one up. :)

Dave Shepard

Unless we have a reason, we like to keep our hardwood logs short, 10' is good. However, maximum recovery dictates log lengths. 10' allows us to trim out some defect and still have a good usable length. We mostly are making flooring and panelling for our personal use. We do have three long cherry Shaker tables at work, that is the only thing I have seen long cherry used for. They were in the 14' to 16' range. All in a row, they make a great banquet table, but were getting pretty unhandy to move around. The 16' is now cut in half awaiting some new parts to become two 8' tables.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

I almost always buck my logs to 10', it's a happy medium and they aren't too heavy that way :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave Shepard

Boards and slabs are lighter too. ;D

AndyC

I agree and even shorter logs actually since it's cherry.  I have a LOT of rough sawn cherry and when I go to actually machine it to S4S and use it I wish all of it were no longer than 9 ft rough so I can get a max of 8 ft usable after chopping off split/checks.  I cut it as a best fit for what I had and some is 12-14' and I will never do that again.     

Given wood is a living thing and moves dimensionally you cannot functionally use wider than 3-5" pieces for glue ups and thats pushing it. For length - ripping or joining is an issue over 8-10 feet for most people.  The bulk of S4S I functionally use is under 4 feet to build anything like cabinets so if you cut and mill it all 9-10 ft your good.   

If it were oak or ash or some other really strong lumber for beams, etc. that would be totally different but cherry is for extremely accurate furniture, cabinets, flooring, etc and will rarely be required to be longer.  Chop it off and drag it out easy unless there is someone who has a specific request. 

Just Me

Another vote for ten footers.....

In thinking about what I need in my shop related to a kiln, I decided that tens are as much as I ever need, so I will build my kiln just over ten feet. I never build casegoods over ten feet in one piece anyway, too hard to handle. Nice cherry log.

laffs

you could use both the cherry and the oak for flooring on your new addition
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

WDH

I cut 8' 6" and 10' 6".  Mostly the 10' 6" because of the practical applications that others have pointed out and because it is more efficient with 20% more lumber in each board versus the 8' 6" logs.

Why would the oak be firewood?  It looks like a nice butt log from what I can see in the pic.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2011, 08:34:52 PMWhy would the oak be firewood?  It looks like a nice butt log from what I can see in the pic.

It's a Water Oak, which as you know, is the poorest quality of our Red Oaks.  It falling indicates that the root system had failed, which may also indicate even poorer quality.  Plus, I gotta have firewood for next year.

Neither one will be an easy chore to get out of that hollow.   :-\

WDH

Lynn,

I have not found water oak to be too bad if it grows in the right conditions.  Water oak, willow oak, and laurel oak are commonly called "pin oaks" in your part of the South.  They are bad to epicormic branch, but I have seen some very fine quality clear water oak logs in the swamps of Central Georgia.  I have also seen some very bad ones too, especially in the bayhead swamps in your area.  And, like you said, man does not live by lumber alone, he also needs firewood  :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tyb525

Surely there is some other fallen trees or dead ones you can use...I hate to see potential lumber turned into firewood ;) Course ya gotta do what ya gotta do :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

Quote from: WDH on February 16, 2011, 10:22:04 PM
Lynn,

I have not found water oak to be too bad if it grows in the right conditions.  Water oak, willow oak, and laurel oak are commonly called "pin oaks" in your part of the South.  They are bad to epicormic branch, but I have seen some very fine quality clear water oak logs in the swamps of Central Georgia.  I have also seen some very bad ones too, especially in the bayhead swamps in your area.  And, like you said, man does not live by lumber alone, he also needs firewood  :D.

is that possibly the same as what some folks here call river oak? i have cut some of those and just as you said some are real good and some real bad. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

carykong

Nice cherry log,Magic. I echo the crowd.  8' to 9' is sufficient for cherry boards. 4' cherry boards have market value. Good luck skidding them out.  How about a power winch?

WDH

Paul,

I have not heard the term river oak before.  There are a number of bottomland oaks, both in the red oak and the white oak group.  I assume that "river oak" refers to a red oak? 

barbender

"Man shall not live by lumber alone..." :D I like that one.
Too many irons in the fire

VT_Forestry

Quote from: WDH on February 17, 2011, 07:30:35 AM
Paul,

I have not heard the term river oak before.  There are a number of bottomland oaks, both in the red oak and the white oak group.  I assume that "river oak" refers to a red oak?  

I believe Nuttall Oak is sometimes referred to as Red river oak

Oh yeah, nice cherry!  :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

Mississippi has 36 different "Oak" tree species listed.  Add to that the different common names that locals use and it leads to "Oakconfusion".  A common and non-curable affliction.

Also these oaks are very abundant.  So much so, that I can be very choosy when firewood is selected.  There are enough cull and fallen trees to supply our needs.  I don't fell any quality trees for firewood.  Cherrybark Oak provide the most heat and the least ashes, and is my preference.  Water Oak is my second choice for firewood.

flibob

With the ice and wind I have several down in the gullies that I am trying to figure out how to get out.  I don't have a winch and don't know if an inexpensive one would do the job.  I know I have some red oak, white oak, and hickory. 
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Magicman

I won't use my truck winch because that's really too much pulling.  I'll use a 100' cable and blocks that I chain to trees to change directions and keep the noses from digging in.  Kinda "long line" them out.  I'll let John Deere do the pulling. 

Thank You Sponsors!