iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about screening gravel

Started by Norm, February 15, 2011, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

We have a creek that runs through our place that has left veins of coarse glacial gravel deposits just under the surface. While doing some clearing next to it I dug out a big pile of it but the gravel has all different sizes of aggregate. I'd like to screen it into different sizes to use but can't find anyway to do so cheaply. Anyone ever done anything like this?

tyb525

I wonder if you could find different sizes of steel mesh and built something like a giant pan that you could dump the gravel through.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Stephen Alford

Hey Norm, I believe you have a highmac and if the gravel is relatively round (not shale), you can make a roof screen for the dumpbox. The one I made was set on the truck with the loader and the oversized just ran off the other side. Took a couple of hours to make but with some used steel it was definately cheap.  :)
logon

snowstorm

a grislly spelled like the bear is what we use up hear or a screen . just google grizily or reed screen

scsmith42

Norm, here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Ft-x-8-Ft-2in-Scalping-Screen-Rock-Sand-Grid-Grizzly-/350438149431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197bdcd37

You can also modify a skid steer bucket and replace the metal bottom on the bucket with screening material.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rockman

Norm, what quantities are you talking about? If you are wanting to screen alot try an equipment rental, they can rent you an electric screener.
Google; hud-son screener
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

LeeB

Try a search on the forum. There were some posts about it several years back.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

NB sawdust

I would have to agree with rockman . I have worked alot around screeners and crushers. Unless it will be an on-going buisness your best bet is to rent a screener for a week or whatever and put up some piles. you need a farly aggressive screener, like a scalping screen . The small box type topsoil screeners usually arent aggressive enough to throw the rocks up out of the screens and they will 'blind". But they will do it if you are not running to big of screen . Best to feed it slowly with a hoe. What size material would you like to have , and any idea on quantity?? Maybe with this info one of us can help more.

Mr Mom

you might need a mining permit.
Friend did the same the mining people didnt like it and made him get a permit.
The fines were more than the permit.
never sold the stone just for around the house.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Norm

Did I say I was mining...I meant to say I was picking up rocks out of the field and needed to sort them to size. Just what I need is another mom.  :D

It's just for my own use and really will not be doing that much of it. I'll look into renting but not sure if I'll do enough to even justify that. I think I'll see if the local scrapper gets any screen heavy enough to use on top of the dump truck. I like Scott's idea for the skid steer too. I have a grapple rock bucket so maybe I can get some screen for it also.

As for size I want to screen out the sand from the bigger gravel. It's mostly glacial till so no real big pieces.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys.

NB sawdust

The skid steer thing would work well for a small amount, they're pretty quick inthe bucket as far as giving the stuff a good shake. We did something similar to a root rake on an excavator to sort a small amount, and it worked good as well.We had to build sides on it though. Good luck!

Mooseherder

You may find some gold in yer stream Norm. ;)
We have a Stream the runs thru our cabin property.
I'd like to do the same thing your talking about.
Finding gold there is one of my hopes. :D

Brucer

If you're looking for smaller sizes, hardware stores sell (or can order) screening material for you. It's called hardware cloth.

I've got a couple of 3' x 5' pieces -- 3/4" mesh and 3/8" mesh -- which I sandwiched between 2x4's set on edge. I set the whole thing off the ground, mounted at and angle,and slowly dump a load of gravel onto the top. The big stuff rolls off the top, 3/4" to 3/8" gets diverted in the middle, and the small stuff drops through the bottom.

A bit slow and tedious, but it works for the small quantities I need.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

shinnlinger

I have no idea what the law is by you, but around here if you were digging out of a stream you would be in big doo doo. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Mooseherder

Maine is the same way about Streams.

ErikC

A lot of guys around here make it with a grizzly. It is at an angle, and big enough you can run the loader bucket under it to pick up the sorted material. usually a bigger loader, like a 966. Put 2 or 3 gradients in a row, run them from smallest to biggest and you have a hillbilly gravel plant :D It works good, you can use scrap iron if you have it, and they don't wear out fast if made right-- but it does take a lot of steel to make them right. But I'm sure you could make a smaller one for a backhoe or farm tractor with a loader pretty easy and fairly cheap. It won't take many yards of gravel to equal the cost, if you figure in trucking.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ErikC

Forgot to mention this- a grizzly is not built like a screen, the bars only go vertical, otherwise it will clog immediately. Space them as far apart as you want, 2" makes nice road base that will hold up well. Especially if you run out some of the fines first in a 1.5" :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Norm

Quote from: Norm on February 15, 2011, 08:40:05 AM
While doing some clearing next to it

So if you read what I said I'm not digging out the creek.

isawlogs

You want to keep the sand or the ruffer material ???

Breaking new ground for planting sure looks like mining to some  ::)   ;D  Hows that dozer going, is the pilot still hibernating ? She about ready to hop onto it.. sorry climb , she must be over the limping by now ?
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brad_S.

A screener is on my "to do" list as well. I saw a homebuilt one locally that I plan to duplicate. The tilt angle was on the shallow side and the screen was anchored to the frame only at the top of the angle. At the bottom was a small gas engine with a concentric disc mounted on the shaft. The net effect was to vibrate the screen, thus creating a sifting type of action.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ErikC

Here is a picture that might help. I just found it on the web, they are everywhere if you search. Not too complicated to duplicate or use.

isawlogs

We used those in the sand pit to screen the material before loading the sanders in the winter. Ours where built to take out 2" and over. these do not work reall good to screen sand.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

Marcel the heavy equipment operator is finally recovering. She broke down and went for physical therapy a couple of months. The coop where this happened was expecting a lawsuit or something but all she asked was they pay her Dr bills. I thought I should get something for having lost my best help.  :D

paul case

it might win you some brownie points with your help if you go tell the coop that you should get something for loosing your ''best harvest help''. makes me think aflac. :D :D :D   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

BURNTSIDE BOB

question for isawlogs.
isawlogs commented on the static grizzly screen that it does not work really well with sand.
I am thinking of purchasing one of these static grizzly bar screens and am wondering how effective it is in screening when the bars are set at one inch gap.
Instead of purchasing one of the small vibrating gravel screens for one inch gravel production I am thinking a non vibrating grizzly screen would be just as productive at one inch screening vs a vibrating box screen.
Isawlogs would you comment has to what you were referencing to when you commented that these do not work reall good to screening sand.

Thank You Sponsors!