iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 390 thoughts?

Started by robert_dangle, February 14, 2011, 09:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_dangle

I am looking at getting a stihl 390 with a 20" bar, most of my saw use is for cutting firewood and various other farm work and I was wondering what yall's thoughts were on the stihl 390? I've got a buddy who has one and so far the only problem he has had with it was his cylinder decompression valve popped off but that was a very simple fix it just had to be screwed back in.

nmurph

they are ok for the firewood cutter. the thing is, you can find a used 361 for about the same money and have a lighter, more nimble, and smoother saw. a muffler mod is a must. when done correctly, this series of saws (290, 310, 390, 029, 039) really wake up. PM me if you want some how-to information if you get this saw.

robert_dangle

CX3

I would go 361 over a 390.  The 361 is a real cutter for firewood
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

JohnG28

I was in the same situation as you about a year ago, and was pondering the 390 for a firewood saw.  After considering what I learned and was advised here I went with a 361 and never looked back.  Its a great firewood saw, light, good power.  Not sure if you'll find any new ones left but its worth the extra money up front, and should last a good bit longer with good care.  Good luck to you and happy saw shopping.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

nmurph

the 361 has several small advantages over the 390. but most are small enough that they are insignificant for a firewood saw. the biggest advantage of a 361 over a 390 is the weight. the 361 is slightly smoother. again, for the average joe, the 390 is smooth enough. the 361 is also easier to work on, if that is a consideration. if the owner is the type that will take it to a dealer, then that advantage is moot. powerwise, they are very close. again, if you really want to be picky a 361 probably has a slightly broader powerband. either saw will last the average woodcutter many years. they will be ready for a new saw bf the saw wears out. now that both are out of production, you will probably see 361's maintain its value a little better. then again, it was a little more expensive to begin with.

JustWondering

How does the 362 compare to the 361? worth the money getting the newer saw? I also heard the 362 C-Q has a really good chain break on it for safety. Is it worth the money?
Stihl 026
Stihl 036
Stihl ms460
Stihl ms 660
Stihl 045 Super (24")
TimberWolf TW5

beenthere

The MS361 is a bit better in that it doesn't have extra weight and less EPA specific changes forced on the mfg's. But otherwise, the same saw.

Jury is out for the C-Q.

My MS361 chain brake works just fine, but rarely is engaged.

I prefer the 20" bar because it handles the bulk of the large trees I may have to cut, and is easier on my back not having to bend over to reach limbs near the ground.

Seems the general consensus on the FF has been the MS361 is a solid all-around saw. Has been a fine performer for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SDB777

Deleted comment

Here is an example of the kind of PM the Admins put up with fairly regularly when members (usually newer ones) get on their high horse and abuse the forum.  To make sure that the forum is punished sufficiently, they delete their posts, like this one did, or find some other way of trying to bolster their bravado. This one hails from Arkansas. I guess even a fine state like that has its grumps.

I suppose that this makes him feel better.

QuoteSo if I offended your delicate feelings....so what! 
Well, back to trying to read all of the posts that are being made.  It's tough to keep up when you have to read them all.  Most are only concerned with five or six.  Heck, this guy only has 11 posts himself.  I guess he couldn't handle being a "Real" member.
Homelite (POS)$30 saw for bucking
Stihl MS390 w/24" for ripping

Thank You Sponsors!