iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Buda engine

Started by moonshiner, February 14, 2011, 09:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonshiner

This was with the mills I bought.Does anyone know much about a buda engine/All I know is the model so far.It is a HP217 gas or lp 4 cylinder equiped with a multidisk hand clutch.It is electric start and has a fairbanks morse magnito.Any info would be interesting.

bandmiller2

Shiner,don't think I've ever laid eyes on a buda, but heard of them.Their mostly found around oil/gas fields to run pumps and compressors.Google it, parts are still around,don't see why it wouldn't make an exellent mill engine if you can afford to feed it gas.Those older industrial engines were pretty genaric used common parts like mags,carbs,governors and likewise with internal parts.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

YOu can find all sorts of Buda stuff on the web and manuals if you have the need.

The Buda HP 217 model was a 4 cylinder 4 stroke petrol engine developing 47 bhp at 1800 rpm.
217 cubic inches, 3 13/16" bore, 4 3/4" stroke
1937 as manufacture date.

a little bit of Buda history, a well known proprietary engine builder. The company takes it name from a town in Illinois where the company founder (George Chalender) started out in business in 1881 building railway equipment. The company later moved to Harvey, Chicago and started building engines in 1910. Buda had 110 different truck manufacturers who bought their engines, and 10 who used their engines in cars. They claimed to supply 32% of the US heavy vehicle market in 1924. In 1926 they bought a diesel engine licence from M.A.N. and built stationary and marine diesels. By 1935 they were supplying truck diesels. They later changed to the German Lanova air cell combustion chamber and were known as being high speed diesels.

A little bit of info about Buda and the Allis-Chalmers connection. Allis-Chalmers used the GM Detroit Diesel two stroke from just before WW2 (e.g.  the HD5 crawler). Apparently when GM decided to get into the earthmoving business in the 1950's (they bought Euclid), Allis Chalmers no longer felt safe buying engines from a competitor, so they bought Buda in 1953.

During the 20's thru 50's alot of smaller construction equipment suppliers used outside suppliers for their powertrain needs. Buda was a major supplier for this market. This engine and transmission combination could very well be used in a road roller, crane. shovel, trencher, etc.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

barbender

I was going to add what I knew about Buda engines but shinnlinger pretty well has it covered ;)
Too many irons in the fire

pineywoods

Set up to run on natural gas or propane, the Dang things would run forever. Years ago there was an equipment dealer in Jackson Ms, who had one of the small 4 cyl Budas set up in the entrance to the shop. It ran on natural gas (cheap back then) 24/7 for years. They claimed they never shut it down till something broke. Made some good advertising.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

moonshiner

Hay all,thanks for the info.I was told it was running when he got it,It was used on the mill and ran on a 100 pound propane tank.Im hoping to bring it home this weekend.Will post some pics if I can figure out how.Up till I found this one I had never even heard of them.

shinnlinger

While using propane is  is nicer on your engine, and a nice thing to have in a confined space, it is also way more expensive.  You may want to switch it to gasoline if your going to run it much.  A 100lb cylinder holds about 23 gallons which when I last filled was $80 and I believe an engine uses 2x as much lp as gasoline.  I had 2 friends with lp rigs and they used to brag about how great they were to the environment, but they weren't good for their wallet, I know that.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

moonshiner

May just rethink the lp deal.Thanks

tractormanNwv

We had a couple Buda's on some Ol Bucyrus cable tool drilling rigs, other than a burnt valve We never had any major problems with them.Good running engines.

Jim

Corley5

Some models of Cockshutt tractors used Budas  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Woodbuzzer

Had a 6 cyl flathead on my first frick.You had to crank it by hand-Choke it,spin the crank(and hope she didnt kick back and take your teeth out :D)and she ticked them off every time.Im not sure of the vintage,but thinking 40s.Buzz
Frick saw mills,NHTC29Dtractors,Jonsered chain saws,Northern Hyd. woodsplitters,Central Outdoor woodboilers,and Arctic Cats too!

ladylake

Quote from: Corley5 on February 19, 2011, 01:17:38 PM
Some models of Cockshutt tractors used Budas  :) :)

That's right, in my younger days we farmed with a Co OP E3 (same as a Cockshutt 30) 4 cylinder 32 hp .   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Mark K

I have a Cockshutt 40 that has a six cylinder gas in it. Bought the overhaul kit through napa a few years ago. Tough engine and runs smooth.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!