Sponsors:

ATV and forestry

Started by lumbertrack, February 14, 2011, 08:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbertrack

Hi guys !

I really need your help.

The topic is:

We bought a wood land two years ago. So far, I have borrowed the tractor and the snowmobile of the neighbor to pull out logs.
I don't do it as a living income but I work seriously. I sell about a van each fall.

The question is:

I want to be independant this next season. I want to buy a used ATV to pull out logs. I plan to use a small tandem trailor and an ATV skidder for big pieces. I don't know much about ATV. With a budget of 2500$, what is the best machine for my needs ?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your tips. 

*** Somebody suggested me a Quadrunner 250 cc, 1995 ...

GDinMaine

I would suggest an older Honda gear drive like a Foreman.  They are not uncommon in that price range but be sure to find one with 4wd. Or you can always look at an older tractor such as a Ford 8N .  That will do a lot more work then the ATV and can be had for $2000-3000 around here.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

chevytaHOE5674

A mid 90's suzuki King Quad with 2 low ranges, 4x4, and a locking front differential will move some logs. But the real problem is the weight of an ATV not being enough to move heavy loads.

I second the idea of an older small tractor. They have the weight to move heavy loads and are also for other things around the property like mowing, plowing, etc.

VT Logger

I tried a polaris 400. Worked pretty good. Be really careful about going over backwards, pretty dangerous that way.

thecfarm

lumbertrack,welcome to the forum.
Never heard of this before,
QuoteI sell about a van each fall
I've never tried a ATV in the woods.For what I do now it might work,just fire wood.What I was doing a few years ago,no way it would work.I was twitching out some good size white pine up a small hill.A small trailer behind a ATV coming down a hill would scare me with a good size load.Don't want the tail wagging the dog.My land is not all that level,rocky too.My 40hp tractor is fine with a load.But can see a ATV having problems.With firewood shorter logs could be hauled out.But trying to sell good sized  logs would be next to impossible I would think.Maybe your land is all level.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumbertrack

Yeah ... well....

I have often heard that an ATV wasn't a tractor; it is obvious. But I thought that it was possible to do a decent work with an ATV.

I don't know, it appears logik to me that with a small load -a full loaded tandem trailor-, an appropriate ATV was going able to do the job.

I can't believe there is nobody else who use an ATV on a regular basis.

Obviously, I don't include people who live from their forestry. I was more thinking about people who do it as a hobby, just like me.

By hobby, I mean, as I said before, about a van (a truck) which is here 10 cords (8x8x4). 

I got a 125-acre land with a good truck road that pass trough.

Anyways, I still wait for your advices and I want to congratulate you for this good web site.

trapper

Here are pictures of the arch my stepson made for me that I use behind my 400 cc atv.
The log is a 15 inch diameter 9 foot long hickory. I have moved much larger logs wth it.

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ironwood

I use a Gator, small Yanmar crawler, and just about ANYTHING else that isnt my back. It is all about doing it reasonably so you dont break something. Arches are tops for putting the load on something besides your "logging" machine.

Enjoy. Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

GDinMaine

Quote from: lumbertrack on February 15, 2011, 07:42:02 PM

I can't believe there is nobody else who use an ATV on a regular basis.

I used to use a Honda Foreman 450 gear shift but I sold it to buy a tractor.  I only had to haul about 5cord of firewood per year tho.  I made a logging arch and pulled the logs to a landing.  It worked fairly well.  I used the ATV for everything but fun riding, it was strictly for work.  Plowed snow, pulled firewood, trailered compost, rocks, dirt I even spread gravel in my driveway with that thing.   It had twice as many miles as hours on the meter that means I everaged 2mph for my ownership.  I ended up getting frustrated tho, because things were taking very long and time was always in short supply. It took me 6 hours to plow after a major snowstorm.  The tractor does it in 2hrs or less.   Sold it to free up money for a tractor as that is far better suited for what I want to do.   Unless you really want to have a go at it with an ATV a tractor would be FAR better for you on 125 acres.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Hanson

Ditto on the tractor, but since everyone has already said that already...I would personally go for an older Yamaha Big Bear, they came in 350 and 400 later. I have a 350 that I use for plowing snow and yardwork, its shaft drive, solid rear axle, Hi Lo range, and its heavy...my .02

Mooseherder

A couple things.  I think you'll need a bigger unit than a 250 for your ATV.
The 250 is way too small.  You may need to budget more.  A good machine will be more than 2500 usually.
If you can get the log off the ground with a logging arch , then you should be able to pull it.
I have Suzuki 500 machines and they can pull plenty but you'll beat yourself up along with the machine when that log stops quickly in a rut.

Ironwood

A tractor would be better, but that said, they are slow to "get around on" 125 acres. A  utv, which should be heavier than an atv, and will cut your "commute" time down, although certainly more expensive.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

ironwood,yes,you can make it back and both quicker,but I would not want to ride with you,would be a bit rough on my land,but I can haul more out than a utv can too.If time is a factor,than a bigger machine is needed.Just like the ones that argue about a tractor-skidder.Just depends on how much time you have to spend on wood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

At times I will use my ATV to pull out a few select logs that I cannot get to in my woods with my logging equipment.  In those cases I use my older 450 and in the winter I have chains on the back tires.   I use a small metal sled to keep the logs off the ground which works well in high grass as well.   Yes, it can do the job but it will take you a very long time going after just one tree at time and if you land is hilly at all it can be very dangerous for you and your equipment.     

Hilltop366

Greetings Lumbertrack

I'd say get them logs out any way you can safely afford to do so.

Not that I would recommend it, my bil use to use a Kawasaki 185 cc 2 wheel drive to haul enough to build a 1600 sq ft house. he had it geared up with a electric winch on the back to lift the end of the log off the ground and a extra two batteries on the front rack. Them little bikes were tough but after a while it was done.

We used a massey 210 2 wheel drive (it's been very tough) with a winch to haul for a long time cutting logs and fire wood for personal use, 24" log would be getting to the max with that set-up.(needs lots of weight in the front) I now have a branson 35hp 4x4 it works real good the tractor is quite heavy for it's hp which helps in the woods.

If I was looking I would look for a tractor just for the weight and ground clearance for the woods around my area.

Hilltop366

Oops I forgot to put this link to another thread from jaythecelt he is using a atv for personal logging.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48977.0.html

tjdub

Quote from: lumbertrack on February 14, 2011, 08:16:39 PM
I don't know much about ATV. With a budget of 2500$, what is the best machine for my needs ?

Buy an old 4x4 truck and pocket the $1500 :)

A few years ago a neighbor brought his ATV with a winch to cut firewood with us.  All he did was rip things up spinning around all over the place.  It seemed like you could pick up and carry what he was trying to drag and save a lot of time.  Not a real useful forestry tool in my opinion, but to each his own.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

furltech

i have a buddy who has a 300 honda and a tandem trailer that he pulls behind it and he has cut most of a hundred acre lot of mixed wood with it the trailer holds about 1/3 cord and he works alone and puts out enough to keep himself in eating and bill paying money lol

mad murdock

Nice pictures Jeff.  I like the curved pieces of cedar you are working on.  What you going to make out of it?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jander3

jaythecelt

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 16, 2011, 12:26:01 PM
Oops I forgot to put this link to another thread from jaythecelt he is using a atv for personal logging.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48977.0.html

I'm using a '98 Yamaha Kodiak 400 (same as a Yamaha Grizzly) and a redneck cart made from my old riding mower.  I bought the ATV a couple of years ago for $1900, I have about $20 invested in the cart :)

Its 4wd with a solid rear axle ... I think the newer models have a split rear axle, solid is probably better for hauling heavy loads.  I've pulled some decent size logs with this arrangement - as big as 14" dia. by 12' (approx).  Last fall I hauled a couple of logs about this size for 1/4 mile uphill on a gravel driveway - I made sure no one was behind me and I didn't stop, but this was well within the Kodiak's capabilities.

A log arch would work better than my cart and I'll probably end up with one someday.  Make sure you get a winch for the ATV.

A truck or tractor would haul more but would have a harder time navigating through trees and rough terrain. So I guess it depends on the lay of your land.  I used to use my old Ranger to fetch firewood, but it would get stuck occasionally and it needed a wide path.  Plus it was a real pain to turn it around in the middle of the woods!
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

VTLogger

i use a atv/snow arch all the time with a artic cat 400 it works great!!! well until kevin ( logrite) built me the awesome horse arch... thanks kevin!!

Jeff

Quote from: mad murdock on February 16, 2011, 06:29:59 PM
Nice pictures Jeff.  I like the curved pieces of cedar you are working on.  What you going to make out of it?

It was part of a log bed I was building during bear season a couple years ago.  The build is shown in this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39063.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

Honda 500. Solid axle and low range. I've towed a trailer with a cubic yard of dirt and regularly tow the arch with 3 tree length balsam.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!