iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pounds in 1 piled cord of 8 foot Spruce and Fir Pulpwood.

Started by Woodhog, February 14, 2011, 07:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Could someone please tell me how many pounds there are in a cord of spruce Pulpwood cut 8 feet long,  also  Balsam Fir. Just small wood,  diameter max about 6 inches.

I searched around but got a few different answers.

To complicate matters they are paying by the tonne (2200 pounds)    around $40.00 tonne...

Thanks

Jamie_C

It's going to vary some by region but if i remember right here in NS i think that both Bowater and Stora numbers were about 1.8 tonnes per cord.

Holmes

I came up with 3616 lbs for spruce using the Forum tool box (down in the left corner).   Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Maine372

fir, especially cut from a wet area, can be heavier, so if its a good mix it may average to around 4000lbs.

Woodhog

QuoteIt's going to vary some by region but if i remember right here in NS i think that both Bowater and Stora numbers were about 1.8 tonnes per cord.

Thanks... Do you know what Stora pays per tonne??

Rick Alger

barbender

Balsam can be quite heavy, I would guess up to 4400 lbs. per cord. Spruce is lighter, it doesn't have as much moisture. They both vary a lot, all the mills up here stick scale it because of that.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

The pulp mills go by weight where the sawmills use a stick here in Maine.
Spruce in my area is REAL light,where fir will add up quick by the ton.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but they drop the price if mixed with spruce or fir alone. :D

Spruce will be around 3600 lbs and balsam will be 4500 lbs per cord.  We've always based solid wood component of a cord on the cunit 100 ft3 between marketing boards and the mills we contracted with. Maine, Rick and barbender I agree with you guys as well, I know how your arriving at it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

in maine we always called it 4100 lbs to a cd fir dose weight more. but there is a law against converting it from weight to cd. only weight is allowed

SwampDonkey

Snowstorm, never knew of any Maine low against conversions. But, our marketing boards converted because a logger couldn't see weight out in the woods when he had to pay his cutters. The trucker could see tonnage on his scale bill, but again some trucker were also boss loggers paying the men by the cord. So, most everyone wanted cords. And since tonnes was metric, they all wanted imperial anyway. :D :D You wouldn't believe how many times a logger said metric was a way to cheat him. Same with weight, they had to see cords to be able to find out if they were beat on scale. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

its been that way for a long time. i had the rule....law.book somewhere. seems like back in the 80's. when i used to haul into the  ip  small or rotten wood the scaler would cut 3 or 400lbs he thought he was saving the mill big cash. after the law change they just turn ya around   go take it off

Thank You Sponsors!