iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotary Joint

Started by rick f, February 14, 2011, 05:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

Does anyone have any idea how much a rotary joint on the end of a gearmatic winch is? Mine weeps so I took it apart. cleaned it but don't see where it can be rebuilt. I put it back togather so I can keep going, but it will need to be replaced.

Thanks guys
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

mad murdock

If it's original gearmatic, it has a center fitting that fits into a "cup" seal, which is the piece that needs to be replaced to stop the leak.  Any old timers who have experience with the older Gearmatic winches will tell you to use 2 seals in place of the one, ensures a leak free joint.  There is a mod that is common on those winches to put a "live" swivel in place of the original fitting, this does away with the cup seals completely.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ed_K

I got sick of replacing the orings every week,so I taped the main shaft where the seals slide into 3/8npt.I then drilled a hole thru the outside cover (teardrop casting)put a npt pipe into the shaft added the live swivel ($70.) no problems since.
Ed K

rick f

It has a Deuelin Joint Number 1005-082-039. Live swivel.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

mad murdock

If you already have the live swivel on it, and that is leaking, I don't know about rebuilding it, you may just have to get a new one.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!