iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

N Guage Model Railroad

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, February 12, 2011, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

Is anyone on the forum into N scale Model Railroads or even HO for that matter? Kind of another form of woodworking when you consider what it takes woodworking skill wise to build these types of layouts.

This n scale layout is 4 x 8 in size and I have been working on it on and off for the past 5 years. The frame is built out of 1 x 4 pine and mounted to a metal set of legs with castors so I can move it around to work on it. The layout constuction style is called a "cookie cutter" method because a single sheet of plywood gets a series of relief cuts made in it and when certain areas are raised and lowered you wind up with the multiple elevations in the layout. All the track is layed out on a tar like road bed. Each rail connection is soldered for better conductivity. The turn table is powered by a small electric motor and allows you to store or retrieve a locomotive from any one of the 15 spur tracks. In the photo with the long bridge, there is actaully a river bed that is cut into the framework of the table to provide a third level to the layout.

All the track and switches are wired now and as you can see, I am just starting the undercoat for the scenery phase. This is the portion I like the best. Really like building the models and making my own trees and such. Hard to see now, but I have actually cast a lot of my own rock formations in the scenery. Should show up better once I take the airbrush to them and add the grasses and bushes.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Bill Gaiche

Very neat. I like ridding those old narrow gauge trains we have here in the states. bg

tyb525

I used to have a huge fascination with trains when I was younger, still do, but wood took precedence over trains. I have a simple double-loop set up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, no scenery though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

I have a pile of HO scale in three or four different boxes here that was about to get put back together, just aint quite got the time to take it out yet.

Nice layout ya got there, a lot of time to set that up  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

I like HO, have a bunch here but no layout yet, mostly for the three young boys, although I think Dad is REALLY into it. ;D I have a Shay and a logging spur in mind ;).

Your layout is awsome, that N really allows for some cramming of lines, wish HO where the case. Our house is small, so layout yet, perhaps in a few years.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sawguy21

Nice layout, model trains are a lot of fun. They can get out of hand though, hard to know where to stop. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

~Ron

SwampDonkey

Looks exactly like what we had here for train and track. Can't get the same quality as we used to years ago. Some sets are only battery driven, I like the electric transformer the best. But, I have not been into trains for a long time. My brother collects, but he's more likely to just sprawl it out on a bedroom floor.

You have a lot of work into that already, keep going.  Looking nice. For now it's got the snowy feel. :) ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 12, 2011, 06:30:11 PM
Nice layout, model trains are a lot of fun. They can get out of hand though, hard to know where to stop. :D

I thought you was supposed to stop at the station  :D

Herb

tyb525

Since I've been into logging, I would love to have the time to create a narrow gauge logging railroad with a model logging operation and sawmill.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: tyb525 on February 12, 2011, 04:45:19 PM
I used to have a huge fascination with trains when I was younger, still do, but wood took precedence over trains. I have a simple double-loop set up on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, no scenery though.

Guys - Thanks for all the compliments on the layout. It does take some time. I would estimate i have somewhere around 500 hours into what is there so far. I know it took me over a week just to wire all the track and switches and almost a week just to lay and nail the track down.

My dad and I were big time into model trains when I was in my teens through my early 20's.

After he passed away, I did not do much with it for about 20 years, then one day I got the bug to get back into it and switched from HO to n scale because I wanted more track in less area.

Ty - If I have any left over scenery supplies, which I believe I will, I will put them aside and give them to you TY so we can get some scenery going on your layout. I do have a sawmill building for the layout and I would love to put together an old style steam engine pulling a log train. The only problem with doing that is that a lot of the n-scale steam engines don't get enough traction to pull heavier loads, so I will need to find some pretty light branches to simulate the logs on the trains. I only work on it a few hours a week, so I imagine it will still take me years to finish it, but that is kind of the fun in doing it. Would not be much fun or much of a challenge if you could throw a layout together in two weeks from start to finish
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Ironwood

One of the reasons I like the HO is we have a BIG train shop down in town (about 2 mi at the most) and he buy LOTS of used HO trains, and it is a quick trip down to GRAB what I like. I have bought just about everything used although my Shay was new in box (used) from a guy who never had opened the box.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

Wood working skills?Well that leaves me out pretty quick.If it can't be done with a chain saw,I better leave it alone.Looks great.Keep the updated pictures coming.Looks like you have alot more to do before it is done.Try using cedar for some "logs".I'm cutting cedar now for the deer.I just cut the ones that are no good to use for logs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on February 12, 2011, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on February 12, 2011, 06:30:11 PM

I thought you was supposed to stop at the station  :D

Not always, this one wouldnt.....
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1137542912/tt0477080
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ironwood

HO is definately the way to go if you have the space for a decent size layout. I agree with you that it is much easier to come buy and a usually a fairly decent price. My Dad and I did HO for years. I did not have as much room to devote to a layout as he did.

One thing that frustrates me with n scale is trying to find smooth running steam engines. I love the look of the steam engines, but there is just not a great variety of high quality ones to select from that run well and can pull a decent number of cars. I remeber back when we did HO, I had a few Rivarossi steam engines that ran like a well made clock and could pull quite a few cars. Wish I could find something like them in n-scale
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

JohnG28

That's a nice looking layout you have there.  I haven't messed with model trains in a long time, had a few HO layouts when I was younger but haven't had my own place or the time in years.  I have them all in boxes still and am in the process of buying a house now though.  Already thinking of a good spot in the basement.  Be a long time before I'dhave something like that going though.  Keep us posted when you get more done.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Busy Beaver Lumber

Johng28

Thanks for the compliment. I am putting down more plaster now and one more small mountain, then will begain airbrshing. Will post more pics when I get to that point so you can better see the details in the rock structures
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Phorester

Don't forget the logging operation in the planned-for forest, and of course a sawmill on a siding.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Phorester

Funny you should mention that, because I just finished putting together the sawmill model last night and spent some of yesterday afternoon making trees. When it dries up outside, I will go out and prune some small diameter branches to make logs for the sawmill piles.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Stephen1

Keep the pics coming, looking real good. My dad used to have quite a layout when i grew up, I'm guessing that's how I ended up in the job I'm in now, engineer for VIA rail, just a bigger train set.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Busy Beaver Lumber

Stephen

Will do. I am putting some models together today and added some more mountains to the layout this morning. Lot of work to get all that plater on the layout to get ready for painting and decorating, but a lot of fun. I think I have about 3 bags of plaster on it so far and about a half bag to go. Then I can take out the airbrush and start adding some color
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Don K

I always wanted a train and never got one. I can't stand to start another hobby now. Got too many as it is. Look forward to more pictures.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

clww

BB-That's a great set-up for your little trains! 8) I started getting train in the early 70s until 1984. 027 Guage Lionel trains, which take up much more space. Someday I'll get them out again.... ::)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!