iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One in a Million!

Started by ARKANSAWYER, February 12, 2011, 02:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

This is a photo of quilted ERC.  It is only the second log to produce this type of lumber in the millions of cedar logs I have sawn.  The first one was about 6 years ago and belonged to a customer.  He nailed it up on his chicken house as he was not impressed with the wood.  I tried to swap him out of it but, no deal.  These however are mine all mine.  Just do not know what to do with them yet as I do not need a chicken house right now.  Just one of those very pretty rare boards that come along from time to time that really makes it worth looking.
ARKANSAWYER

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Bill Gaiche

Arky that was impressive the day you showed that ERC to me. Hope you get close to a million for it. bg

Magicman

Wow, that is knock your eyes out pretty.  I'm still looking for my first quilted ERC.  I do have one Cherry under my belt, but it's not that impressive. 

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Might get uncomfortable under your belt nail it up somewhere. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bodger

for getting the most use out of it (timewise) I would build a casket.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Magicman

I tried to stick it down my pant leg, but the customer wanted it back.   Actually, he wanted a mantel out of it, but I insisted that there were too many boards in there.  With a mantel, only one edge would ever be seen.

Arky, what's gonna happen with your ERC?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dukndog

Very Nice!! Did it come from Arkansas woods or out of state?
Hope to see you in LR for the farm show!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

red oaks lumber

arky,
just so happens i'm fixin to build a new chicken house and the plans call for a such board you got!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Actually, I think that the tree was infected with the very highly contagious and deadly ERC "Thermostropter" disease. 

The only location in the United States that has an authorized disposal facility happen to be here in Brookhaven.   :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

That is some sweet looking fiddle back you got there Arky  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

crtreedude

Quote from: Bodger on February 12, 2011, 05:22:35 PM

Yeah, but I don't think you want to be in the position to appreciate it...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Meadows Miller

Quote from: crtreedude on February 13, 2011, 05:53:32 AM
Quote from: Bodger on February 12, 2011, 05:22:35 PM

Yeah, but I don't think you want to be in the position to appreciate it...

Well you could whack some shelves in it and lok at until you need it  ;) :D :D :D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

SwampDonkey

I see it quite often in the but logs of Eastern White Cedar as well. And lot of stump wood is curly. I've not heard of there being any high value attached to it. But, I bet some hobby wood workers up here horde some away. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

We had an ERC log once that produced quilt, but it wasn't that good. Think that board needs to go on Ebay or to a retailer of fancy woods. Is the whole log that way?

You might get ahold of Mike Mastin that used to have Curly Woods. He is back going again concentrating on the fancy stuff.

SwampDonkey

Here's a log that had some mild curl and some eye as well. These two tung and groove boards came off the same log because of a couple of knots I can match up. I guess the mill saved out most all the figure. When I worked at the marketing board we never had anyone come shopping for cedar figure and we moved thousands of cords of it. But it is common in white cedar.

In these boards the curl runs from top left to lower right and speckled with eye, but the eye is real small and not densely spaced. The curl is easier to see by eye than in a photo, not as pronounced in these as Arky's red cedar.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Cedar chest!  Cedar chest!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ARKANSAWYER

Well I am back.  The boards are just out in the weather right now but I need to get them up and hid in a shed somewhere.  Do not know what I am going to do with them.  They are so pretty.  I turned down $20 bdft for it this week.  As bad as I need money I like them boards even more.  It is just they are so rare around here.
 I have not heard from Mike in several years.  I was down there about 4 years ago dropping off lumber and I know that after the building down turn he was off line and the phone did not work any more.  I sell to another company down that way and they said he went out of business.
 It is a relief to know that if I need to despose of that wood I will only have to haul it as far as Mississippi. ;D

This is a photo of the bark.  It had this figure from top to bottom and all around the log.  You offten see this wavey pattern around limbs and the butt swell of logs.  I knew when I saw the bark of this log what I was in for.  I just had the butt of the tree and it was about 10 ft long and this figure was in the whole thing from bark to pith.  Now if I could afford to buy 500 more tt loads of cedar I may get to see another one before I die.
ARKANSAWYER

mad murdock

Man, save the slabwood and slice it up thin, you could really get some nice veneers out of that wood.  Would look real nice as inlay material. 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kansas

Arky, Mike is on my facebook. He is back up and going at a slower pace. Just getting started again. He is still in McKinney Texas. We dealt with him on a number of occasions and I enjoyed doing business with him. He has a new website now. Its McKinney Hardwood lumber. I just shot him a message on facebook that he needs to get back here. He sure needs to look at those boards, just because of his passion for wood.

papax3

Arkansawyer...

This is Bill Williams... the guy who had the trees in Perryville Arkansas, and a dire need to build a home.

I .... CAN... actually help you with your question of what to do with your MAGNIFICENT cedar.
I would STRONGLY encourage you to share pictures of this wood with guitar "luthiers".
I LOVE beautiful exotic woods, and I'm an avid guitar player....
Western Red Cedar is used as one of only two "tone-woods" (Sitka Spruce is the other) for the tops of guitars.  I realize you do not have Western Red Cedar, but the wood in your photo is absolutely STUNNING, and may be extremely well-recieved by guitar builders.  Beautiful woods for the sides, and backs of guitars are always at a premium, and as you well know, the best of exotic hardwoods are increasingly hard to find.
The wood shown in the picture would catch an excellent Luthiers eye very quickly.
Much success to you, and thanks for answering my questions on wood-web.
Bill Williams

Thank You Sponsors!