iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overdue introduction and some milling pics

Started by jaythecelt, February 12, 2011, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaythecelt

I've been on the forum for a little while and posted a couple of times... I just thought I would introduce myself and include a couple of pics of what I've been up to.

I live on 20+ wooded acres in Beaver County, PA - I work in the software industry, but would much rather be building stuff out of wood!  I did almost all of the interior work in my log house (but didn't lay any logs), and I'm interested in building furniture, especially rustic furniture.  Since I was a kid, I always wanted to mill my own wood (weird kid) and make my own furniture. After nearly fifty years, I decided to do something about it. 

So a couple of years ago I got into chainsaw milling and have been building up the tools I need since.  This isn't my business, and I don't need a lot of wood - just enough to keep me busy and off the streets - so this is a small scale operation.  I have a Stihl MS390 and MS650, an Alaskan Small Log mill.  The MS390 works ok, but the MS650 mills at least twice as fast.  I also use a Granberg ripping chain.

Two things I don't like about CSM is having to work low to the ground and all the rigging needed to make the first cut... so I built this thing I call the Micro-Mill.  Its basically a large, jig to get the log off the ground and some adjustable 'scaffolding' to hang the mill from for the first cut.

Here's a picture of the Micro-Mill:

The Alaskan Small Log Mill rides along 10' rails for the first cut:

A couple of pics after the first cut on a log:

The three 'goal posts' that hold the rails can be adjusted for height and have a fine adjustment for level.  The can also be folded out of the way:

This whole thing works pretty well ... with the MS650 I can cut an 8' board in about two minuets.  The finish is good right off the mill and usually needs only a couple of passes through the planer.

My woods is mostly second growth cherry, oak, walnut and maple.  I also have a fair amount of sassafras, which looks great on rustic furniture projects.

I'm thinking about mounting the saw in a sled and replacing the 'goal posts' and rails.  I have seen some other guys  do something similar.  I'll probably work on that this spring (if I get time).

-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

tyb525

Nice to see someone else getting good use out of the Small Log Mill.

I used one before I got my LT10.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Hello, jaythecelt.  Nice to meet you.  Your CSM setup is very interesting.  Looks like your are Getting-R-Done in fine style.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ARKANSAWYER

Howdy!  Looks like you have been bitten by the sawdust bug.  I like the stand you built for CSM work and that is not a bad looking cherry log.
ARKANSAWYER

Brucer

Now that's a slick setup.

I used to use a regular Alaskan mill. I lifted the log onto heavy duty horses using my tractor, which helped my back a lot :).

The time consuming part of the process was setting up the guides for those first two face cuts. I gave a lot of thought to various setups that would let me just position the log and start sawing. One of the ideas looked a lot like yours, but not nearly as flexible.

The other idea was a steel frame that had an uncanny resemblance to a Wood-Mizer. So I bought a Wood-Mizer instead :D :D.

Take that as a warning  ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sandhills

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jay

Welcome to the forum. Really like you CSM setup. Very cleaver idea you had there
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Holmes

welcome to the FF.  I agree that is a very clever set up.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

jaythecelt

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on February 12, 2011, 02:28:37 PM
I like the stand you built for CSM work and that is not a bad looking cherry log.

Thanks ... that's good old Pennsylvania cherry!  I'm using some of those boards on a set of built-in shelves I'm working on for the wife.

Quote from: Brucer on February 12, 2011, 02:38:57 PM
The other idea was a steel frame that had an uncanny resemblance to a Wood-Mizer. So I bought a Wood-Mizer instead :D :D.
Take that as a warning  ;D.

I saw where somebody said they were married to their CFO... I'm also married to one - I'm lucky I got the budget to get this far.  ;D
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

jaythecelt

Here's how I get logs to the mill ... I made the cart from the axles of my old riding lawnmower.  The front end steers making it easier to maneuver through the woods.  I've modified it a bit since the pictures were taken - I moved the rear wheels back another foot and raised it up so the tires don't interfere with the bed.

I have an old time cant hook that I use to roll the logs onto the cart.  I thought this would be difficult and require two people, but by using another log as a ramp and balancing the log on the cart, this is actually fairly easy to do.  I pull the cart up along side the mill and just roll the log onto it - simple.
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

barbender

Welcome- and nice looking work. I see a log arch in your future ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Jay  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Thats a pretty slick set up you have built for yourself there you and my Dad would get along well he likes building stuff out of timber to just get the job done as well Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

if it cant be made out of timber it cant be made.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum...Its a good thing you went ahead an posted  pic. of that little buggy...cause I could see a bit of it in the first pic...and was wanting to know what it was... ;)   smiley_thumbsup    Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Burlkraft

Welcome  8)

That's a great CSM set-up

Like the pics too!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Corley5

Welcome  :) :)  Cool pics.  Looks like some nice cherry still standing in those woods  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ErikC

Welcome-It looks like you have got the CSM thing pretty well handled. There's a lot of good ideas at work in that set up. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

jaythecelt

Thanks everyone - this forum is a great resource for a guy like me just learning to mill and process lumber.  There is a great deal of experience here!  I hope to relate some of my own experiences and add in my 2 cents occasionally.

The weather is warming up in western PA this week - I'm itching to fire up the chainsaw  ;D
-J

Poulan 2750
Stihl MS390
Stihl MS650

weisyboy

so long as you dont try scratching the itch with the sharp end of the saw. :D
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

fishpharmer

Glad to have you on the forum, jaythecelt!! Welcome.
You prove where there is a will there is a way.  Clever mill setup. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Just Me

I'm just envious of all those nice cherry trees! My property is all maple, with a few ash. Not so many big cherrys up this way, but a few.

Nice work.

Larry

Peder McElroy

Great job on the CSM setup and welcome,alot of good information here on the forum. I started with an alaskan mill and still use one along with my Lucas mill and Belsaw circle mill. Great pics.

ely

mad murdock

Quote from: weisyboy on February 13, 2011, 03:41:24 AM
if it cant be made out of timber it cant be made.
I agree weisy http://marvmackey.com/Wooden%20Harley.jpg
Welcome to the Forum!  That is a spiffy "micro mill" setup you came up with 8) 8) I have been milling with the Granberg Alaskan III (28") I think.  I have been able to unzip some pretty good sized logs with it so far (with the help of an axe now and again to chip away bark, so I could make the first few cuts.  I am going to do something similar to speed up the process of getting to the slicing boards off.  One trick I picked up from watching a vid online of someone with the Alaskan mill, is to make the first cut, then readjust your mill depth straight away using the flat side you just cut as the guide, and slab the other side of the log.  This one trick has sped up my process x2.  Then to get the cant, I just square up the guide rails with one of the first 2 parallel cuts, and if I am going for a cant, do the same thing on the 4th cut that I did on the 2nd.  Another thing I have tried is getting a real straight 2x6, and trimming the log with the saw by eyeball, so the 2x6 can be set on the log and screwed down with a few deck screws.  then cut away.  Much faster than messing with the guide rails, and if setup is paid attention to, the cut is just as straight as with the rails, only much quicker.  I roll the log up on to 2 short logs that I cut to support the log a bit off the ground so's i don't have to bend down so much.  The 372XP is maybe a bit small for the 28" mill, but with a sharp ripping chain (Woodsman Pro ripping chain), I can get through a 12-14" wide cut on a 10 ft board in a few minutes, and the lumber is surprisingly smooth, right off the mill!  Great looking little operation you got there, the trailer looks cool.   :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!