iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

John Deere 2010 Crawler

Started by g_man, February 12, 2011, 08:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I am thinking about getting a crawler to work on my woods roads and keep them open in winter. I found an early vintage (S/N 10000) Deere 2010 Crawler with a blade and winch. The winch control needs rebuilding but the rest looks good to an unexperienced eye. Its an old machine from the 60's still running. Thanks in advance for your comments.

chevytaHOE5674

Have somebody that knows crawlers look the undercarriage and drivetrain over. You can easily spend multi-thousands of dollars repairing a worn out undercarriage.

Reddog

Transmissions and finals are a known weak spot on those. Last I knew parts where getting hard to find also.

pineywoods

g_man, I have a chinese knockoff of that dozer. I bought it for junk iron prices. weak points--hydraulic reverser, some models didn't have them, hydraulic pump, alternator, the tracks are a unique design, not easy to rebuild. throws a track at the drop of a hat. It's a simple robust machine, most of the problems I've had with mine are a result of poor quality control.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

snowstorm

i worked for a jd dealer in the 70's   saw plenty of those. the deisel was not that good gas was much better. track frames were weak dry steering clutchs would get water in the housing made for a rusty mess. unless you can work on it yourself. parts?? a wayyyy better choice would be a 350c ...3cyl. diesel wet steering clutchs

timbuck2

I had one in the 80"s, track frame got bent then it would only travel in circles

g_man

All good info, Thanks. he is asking $5K. Says the under carriage is re built. I am a decent backyard mechanic but have never worked on a tracked machine.
for what its worth here are some pics he sent

snowstorm

looks fairly good. track frames on a lot of them bent. looking from the front the ft idlers wouldnt be straight op an down. check rolls they are a real pain to change. check final drives for water metal . steering clutch housing for water rust. this diesel or gas??hydr. reverser?? i remember working on one that a boat yard had with a winch on it broke the crankshaft in two. the old guy i worked with told them the 2010 was junk and buy a 350 an they would have something

240b

get at least a 350c or 400g  wet clutch tractor is the way to go.  old crawlers are money pits. I know from experience.  you'll want open center pads too.

treefarmer87

i have a 450 c, great machine, never had any problems with it. a little 350 with a winch would be great for a woodlot :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

I don't care how new or old the machine is.. You use one and they wear out.. Its a fact of owning/operating machinery.. And many times its expensive no matter what.. Just check out the "known" problem areas and any area that would see "normal" wear and tear. If theres a place that will see "Extreme" wear and tear check that out the best.

g_man

It has the desiel engine. A set of spare sprockets. And a H-L-R power shifter like a 450.

240b

if it has a hydraulic reverser get the transmission up to operating tem and see if it slips. it will seem to work fine with cold oil. 5k is a lot

Bandmill Bandit

bout the only thing those 2010 were not bad at was pushin snow and I am not sure a shovel wasn't more reliable. slower yes but more reliable for  sure

350 400 were a much better machines.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

s grinder

Like everybody's saying,a 450B or C are much better,I also worked for a JD dealer in the early 70's,had a 450B loader years ago when i was in the firewood business,with a fresh cutting edge and new teeth was good for grubbing brush,pushing small tree tops and limbs into piles for burning. All i give for a 2010 is what it's worth for #1 scrap.

chet

I know the old girl ain't no new fangled 450, but she don't know dat.  :D  She's done alot of work for me and hopefully will  be around for alot more.  ;)

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

jesse

a little smaller 1010 diesel that i use to get logs out of the woods

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

John Woodworth

He might have had tip pins turned but that sprocket has not been rebuilt of replaced and does show wear, there is still hours left on it but should have had attention at pin time, how,s the wear on the front idlers and are you sure the bottom rollers are good.
You can stand some wear if the price is right and you run it with in mind it's not new and keep up with the maintaince, all it takes is one broken obsolete, unavaible major part and you've wasted your money.

Chet your 450 looks super fine, here's a man to tell you about maintaince and operation, the condition of his cat proves that.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

shinnlinger

It doubt this one is in better shape, but something to compare and it is in colebrook.... http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7251757&dlr=1&pcid=2920787
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

g_man

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I can't find much enthusiasm amoungst you guys for the jd 2010 so I will keep this one in mind and keep looking. I can tell the machine size, condition, and price trade offs are going to be difficult. Right now I am thinking pushing snow but I know I will want to be able to do more once I get one. I'll take a look at the 350 Nash has. I wonder if you can get around in his place in the winter?

chet

Quote from: John Woodworth on February 13, 2011, 12:18:20 AM
Chet your 450 looks super fine, here's a man to tell you about maintaince and operation, the condition of his cat proves that.

John,
She's a 1963 2010 ;) But don't tell her dat, da ole girl  still thinks she's a 450.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

g_man

Quote from: Chet on February 13, 2011, 08:30:35 AM
Quote from: John Woodworth on February 13, 2011, 12:18:20 AM

John,
She's a 1963 2010 ;) But don't tell her dat, da ole girl  still thinks she's a 450.  ;D

She tricked us to. Nice machine.

shinnlinger

Gman,

I have never dealt with Nash directly, but I bet some folks here have so I would ask and see if they are fair, will dicker on prices, etc.  On their web site they have alot of stuff sitting in the snow, so they clearly do business right now.  For the loggers this is a hot time so I can see why.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!