iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Life span of raccoon

Started by woodbeard, February 11, 2011, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

Hello everybody
I just got a nice e-mail from Tom who remarked that I had not been here in a coon's age, and upon reflection, I believe he may be right on the mark about that. Anyhow, it is nice to be remembered, and good to see this place and all its residents are doing well. I am not doing so bad myself; still living in Dismal, building geetars, and enjoying life as much as possible.
:)

ely

i had a coon that lived to be 13 years old as a pet. i know you have not been away that long. ;D welcome back

ARKANSAWYER

I had a pet coon and he only lived to be about 2 years old.  He liked to go out and walk around the dog pen which just had a 2x6 on top of the post to hold the top of the wire.  The pen was only 6 ft tall as all I owned were beagles.  One night after hunting coons I broung my friends blue tick and red bone hound home with me.  That morning my coon went out and shinned up the corner post and started walking around the top of the pen to get the dogs stirred up.  Well when that red bone hit the wire that coon fell into the pen.  It was not a pretty sight but the coon gave an account for himself. 
  Glad everything is well in Dismal.
ARKANSAWYER

WH_Conley

Not very long for the ones I found in my sweet corn patch.
Bill

Banjo picker

My bulldog caught one in the fenced in back yard when I let him out to take care of his nightly business...and it lasted about 20 seconds...Banjo got bite once under the eye...Coon was a mess....I don't like him getting coons as a dog can get a diease called coon-dog paralisis from being bitten from one...My boss has a pair of fiest and one of them contacted the diease...It was paralized in its back legs for a while...its better now...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tom

I don't know what to think of someone who builds guitars with old license plates as pick guards.  :D

I'll never forget the dead-end road we followed on the map, trying to get to your place.  Then we found that we had turned the wrong way back at the still.  Once we forded the big creek and found a place to park by the log foot-bridge, we were OK.   I can see why they never have put electricity in there, the extension chord cord would be too long.

What are you sawing logs with these days?

What's paying the bills, guitars or furniture? :)

fishpharmer

Wow, those guitars are works of art.  Makes me wish I could play, so I had a reason to buy one. 

Good to see here woodbeard.  Nice website.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

CX3

The life of a coon is not long here in MO especially when he's in a tree above a good redbone ;D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

woodbeard

Well, they usually live a lot longer as pets.... usually :D
Never had one myself, but I did have a cat that lived to be 20 or so.
Likely would have kept going too, if she hadn't picked a fight with a raccoon.

Haven't sawed a log since I sold the Woodmizer a couple years ago. My shoulder is a lot better than it was then, but I can't do that sort of work anymore. Can't even split firewood, for that matter.
Always plenty of other things to do though.
My partner works full time now, so I play housewife and turn barns into guitars.
It's a pretty good life ;D
The guitars don't quite pay the bills yet, but I am working toward that.

Mr Mom

life span of a coon is short around my chicken coup.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

flibob

Along these lines.   What is the biggest coon any of you have seen.  My daughter and I were having a discussion about size and I said probably 30 lb  max.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

CX3

a captive coon can get upwards of 60 pounds.  The biggest coon I ever treed and knocked out in the wild was in southern Iowa and she weighed 38 pounds.  I have friends in wisconsin that kill a few 40+ pounders every year, wild coons. Here in  southern mo a biggun is 18-20 pounds
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

We've got some big ones up at the cabin cause we feen em lots of bear bait. :D   

Here is a clip we took a couple years ago while bear hunting. No big ones in the video, but they aint shy about coming out during the day for a barrel full of donuts.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1VEdiaapvc
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

I don't know about this situation but this ol' coon here has outlived his life expectancy by y'alls standards.  Also, it kinda reminds me that I don't know if'n I wanna come around your neck of the woods cuz I'd either be shot or your ol' bluetick will lambaste me to death.  ;D  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

woodbeard

Love that video, Jeff!

When my daughter was little, she had one of those toys with the plastic donuts that you stack on the cone, and one summer, the yellow one kept disappearing. Just the yellow one though, and we would find it down in the creek.
I can just picture the coons chattering on about our darn stale bagels. :D

Bandmill Bandit

Much as i love those little critters the best answer is way toooooooooo long
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

tyb525

We have been overrun with coons the last few years. Just in the past week, we have shot on average 2 every night, and we always catch one in the live trap. Caught this gal last night, there's one more coon factory gone.

I skinned her, first time I've ever skinned anything so it was mostly just to say I did. Do any of y'all sell coon furs? Is it good eating?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

Coon fur from this time of year I believe is worthless. I know people that eat coon, but Not me. :)

tyb525

It would be nice to have a good way to get rid of them, throwing them back in the woods is starting to smell the place up.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Troublermaker

I had a coon when I was a kid that live till he was about 9 or so. He would stay lose doing he day and at night he go back in his cage. One night I couldn't find him. He was gone a couple of days. After that he would stay a couple of days to fatten up and take off for a few day. Then he was gone for 3 months till I found him in the chicken house with a 220 conibear trap around his neck. Something had been coming thru a hole in the wire eating eggs. The reason I knew it was him cause Daddy and I had cut him when he was small.

easymoney

i have a neighbor that catches them in a live trap. last summer he showed me 2 half grown ones he caught at once. they must have walked in the trap together. he does not kill them he takes them to a creek a few miles away and lets them go. they can be pretty mad about being in that trap.

Tom

Raccoons are eaten here.  I've not knowingly eaten them, but might have.

Mr. Shippey would trap coons and give them to a black man in Dinsmoore (a community down the road about 5 miles) who kept them in pens and fed them for when "the family" came by.  They would have a "Dinner on the Grounds."  His coons were also sold for about $35 apiece to others who wanted them for supper.   

Those who eat coon here compare it with many of the high-priced meats at the grocery.  It is usually cut up into 1" hunks, battered and fried, or cooked into a meat and vegetable stew.  The meat is dark.

WDH

Quote from: Jeff on July 10, 2011, 03:44:46 PM
I know people that eat coon, but Not me. :)

I had it once roasted in a big roasting pan with potatoes.  I don't make it a habit  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

pigman

Last week I looked out the front  door at the pear tree about 50 ft away and saw mother coon and five little coons under the tree. The coons heard me and the five little ones ran up the tree and mother coon took off for the barn. I tried to get a picture, but it was to close to dark for a picture.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff on July 10, 2011, 03:44:46 PM
Coon fur from this time of year I believe is worthless. I know people that eat coon, but Not me. :)

Why not?

Cleaned properly and BBQ'd coon is pretty DanG good!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Bro. Noble

Mom used to cook about anything Dad would bring in.  We had lots of rabbits and squrril,  but I liked coon better.  Possoms were real low on my favored fare. ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Banjo picker

Bro. Noble I totaly agree about the possum...Mom cooked up one for grandpa when I was a kid ....the absolute worse thing I have ever put in my mouth...the grease sorta slicks over on the roof of your mouth and you can't seem to get rid of it..Tim

Tom

My Old Timer friend, Mr. Shippey, tells me that roasted/baked (?) possum is the best thing in the world.  He ate it as a kid and spooned the grease on sweet potatoes.  You can see his mouth watering as he tells you about it.   Then He said, "I'll sop the grease with some light bread.  It's good."

I guess I would eat possum if it were presented to me, but I have no desire to bake one when there is Beef available.  :)

Opossum got a lot of people through the depression.  You could catch them with your hands.  Only the young fellows could run down a rabbit.

WDH

There is a reason that man domesticated cows and not possums  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Sometimes I have seen a possum catch a person's hand instead of the person catching the possum. Most times a possum will just "play possum" , but sometimes they use those sharp teeth. :o

dukndog

In the small southeast town of Gillett, Arkansas they have an annual coon supper for their community fundraiser. It's got to be the big political thing with the local politicians...even Bill Clinton has eat coon...among other things!!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

tyb525

There are coon farms around, mostly for the furs.

Coon meat is a "best kept secret", so I've heard. Who knows, if history had taken a slightly different course, we might've been eating coons instead of chicken :)

clww

The latest residential oak tree I'm taking down, I had a mama coon in it for over a month. I tried live traps, leg holds, dead-falls and snares and was never successful in getting her. She is really smart. I got 6 feet from her in the tree when she was stretched out taking a nap and tried to get a loop around her. She woke up and batted the pole and rope away from her head, then went higher up the tree and promptly fell back asleep. She ended up moving across the street two doors down and into another hollow tree. I've been told by neighbors that she had another litter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

pigman

Four of the young coons are back today under the pear tree in mid afternoon. :o
  I wonder at what distance I should be to get all four with one shot with the shotgun.

rbarshaw

When I was about 10, Mom cooked a coon That Dad shot, I remember that it was very good. I think it was cooked as a roast with vegtables. That evening Dad was eating a bowl of tapioca pudding, first time I had seen it, I asked him what it was, he said 'raccoon brain pudding', I believed that for many years till I recalled it with my mother and she told me what it really was. :D
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Taylortractornut

Cant blame a possum for how they taste look at what they  eat and which end that start eating it.       Dad said when they were  kids growing up at Turnpike MT in Burnsville everyone was poor.   Dad said  when ever a possum was caught  it was put under a weighted down  wash tub with  water and ear corn and  garden scraps to purge. Them

My overload permit starts after sunset

WDH

Taylor,

That is exactly how it was done down here to.

Magicman

A possum is just a buzzard with 4 legs.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I think there is more meat on a possum than one would think cause I took one to a church supper that had about 75 people at it and there was still a lot of possum left for the next day. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Yes, possum is very filling. 

This porch possum eating the cats food is just shy of getting filled with lead  :).

Jeff

dukndog

Now that thar is funny Jeff!!!  You should try puttin a bigger item there to get his trapped like say a walnut!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Ron57

Years ago I had a trapline for  muskrat and my grandmother said" Bring in a couple of those and Ill fry em up!!" Tastes like chicken digin_2 
Grandma did make me cut off the rat tail before I brought it in the house.
Last year my boys had a trap line muskrat were bringing $8.00 top price. Coon was only $5.00 ave.

Troublermaker

Every since I was big enough to know anything we would eat rabbits, squirrel and muskrat. I have eaten coon when I was a kid and I love deer. Back then we eat most anything but I am not eating a possum. Anytime a dog will not eat it I am not going to eat it.

Thank You Sponsors!