iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When it rains it pours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Woodhauler, February 11, 2011, 07:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Ever had one of those weeks? Started  a week ago tuesday, i noticed a knocking sound around my air compresser on my westernstar, took it to the garage and ended up being the gears on the front of my motor{its a 60 series detriot}We had to replace all the gears and the camshaft and i got it back monday of this week at the cost of 4200$$$$ Then if that wasn't enough yestruday morning the water pump gave out with a load on and just got it out of the garage this am at 4:00 oclock ............Cost 1300$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes i wonder why i get out of bed in the morning!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

dsgsr

You're right, Sometimes it just ain't worth it. With the high cost of doing business and the low price of wood it's hard too stay afloat.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

treefarmer87

sorry about your truck. i know the feeling. it can happen to anybody. when your logging you can bet somethings gonna break. i hope things get better for you
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

madmari

Break something cheap on purpose. These things happen in three's, so at least you'll have control of the third. I suggest a headlight. That will satisfy the breakdown Gods and you'll have a new light ahead of scheduled replacement.

Seriously, I hope it stops for you.

I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

tyb525

talk about things happening in threes, in the last few months the front brakes went out on my car, replaced pads, rotors and calipers. then water pump goes out, replaced that. then shortly after discover one of the heads is cracked >:( i'm still working on replacing that one...luckily I'm doing my own work.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ironwood

I am just fighting the temps here, getting things going in the mornings is a pain for sure. Then, weather kicks in and kids off school, AND fevers from flu, so they miss one day and cant go back until fever free for 24 hours so miss the next ::). So lost 2 days this week to kids and colds, then 2 days of 2 hour delays for my older one. I shouldnt complain as it is not costing me near the truck bill, but point being sometimes it seems on day after another seems like a stone, a NEED a diamond tomorrow.  Yesterday forklift would not start/ run properly, so plugs, wires, cap, rotor, overdue alternator replacement, and still missing at idle so called my buddy forklift guy, says I must be sucking air i nthe propane system, did find it but wanted to replace a bunch of stuff that needed replaced anyhow to make sure that stuff was not the issue. Tested it this morning, and fired right up at 10 degrees.  Never a dull moment, gotta be tencious as a business owner of any type.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Woodhauler

Well  you got your wish!!! I hope things only come in 3s! After putting the water pump on at a cost of 1300 now the extra pressure of a new water pump blew the egr cooler! Cost............................. 900 plus labor!!!!   Going to go back to work tonite as soon as it gets out of the garage! Wish me good luck!!!!!!  Got to love your job!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

egr coolers are trouble ........replaced the one in my pickup at 80000 miles

Maine372

Woodhauler

I hope the three strike rule is in effect with me!  ;D

clww

I had a spending spree myself the other day. Gas for the truck-$95, two gallons of chain oil-$19, gloves and falling wedges at Northern-$38.50, then pick up the Stihl 084 from the repair shop-$221. Total-$373.50.
Then I drove over for day 2 of a $350 "clean-up" job. Sometimes I wonder why I do it, too. I guess my situation is more of a hobby than a full-time logging operation where I could really spend some $$$. :D :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

madmari

The problem with the three strike rule is that there is no #4. You just start at #1 again, and so it goes. ::)

I had a starter, hydraulic pump and frame break in one week. Maybe thats not too bad, but consider for a moment that in that week I only worked, other than as a mechanic, about two days. I would have had to have pulled 200 cords a day by myself to pay for the repairs.

If trees had no limbs, grew square and nothing broke, everybody would do this.

Best of luck!!!!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Mark K

I hope my bad run is over. Popped a compression ring on #1 cylinder on my Timberjack last Friday. Brought it home Saturday and tore it down. Back up and running Monday night but couldn't move until roads cleared on Wednesday. Went to go to work yesterday, lift pump went bad on the Dodge cummin's. Got a good start this morning only to blow the main line from the hydraulic pump to the valve body on my skidder. Oil was a little thick at -18 this morning. Glad I pushed hard last week to survive this week :D. Get up and do it again tomorrow.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

AvT

Reminds me a bit of my last construction contract about 25 years ago.  I had a couple of D 8's on a $10000 contract that I had bid on.  I had bit it cheap to get the job as things were slow in the oilpatch.  Blew motor on one.  $25,000.00 motor overhaul.  Torque converter on the other, several thousand.  Had to hire and haul in a machine to finish the job, thousands,,,, I said thats it, I'm done.  That was the end of my construction career.  I did ok but I was sick of the rollercoaster anyway.  The phone kept ringing for a year or so after but I turned every job down.  I still have my original D6 for around the farm.  Poor thing gets pretty rusty sometimes.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Ed_K

I'm feeling the same  :(.Going up the mountain got off the packed trail skidder starts jumping, got to the top and started cutting,got saw stuck  >:( go around skidder to get other saw,green snow  :o.radiator leaking from tank to core  :(.It did this one other time from same jumping.Should have just stayed home,but I'm trying to make $ to pay for the 10k rebuild done this fall  :'( .
Anyone know of a way to mount radiator to frame where it can't keep breaking the sodder?
Ed K

allmosdone

Woodhauler, I read some where that a man who sells wood to buy (or repair) iron is starting of in a pretty deep hole . I've beainig one eveningen wrenching cars, trucks and some equipment for 28 odd years and can only tell you this, it pays to get somebody with experience on your equipment, around your equipment, ever so often. The things that his eyes, ears and nose will notice can save alot off down time and high blood pressure. Won't say money cause it cost the same to fix, just you might have a little more control over when it's down for service. A realy good example is on my own diesel pickup. I do all my own maintenence, of course, but don't see alot of them in my reguler work. While attending some training one evening , a guy from a truck shop asked when I was gonna do my clutch. I said I didnt have any trouble with it, why did he ask. He tells me the noise he heard told him "do it today". I never heard tht sound, but after our talk, I pulled it apart and that flywheel was just bearly hanging together!! Would have left me standed.
  Lesson for me was to get someone  who's good on that particuler machine to check it at least annually. Do it with my truck and my kubota tractors too. Saves heartache and downtime.  JMHO. Good Luck All. 
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

Mark K

Ed K- I'm having the same problem with the snow, skidder jumps up and down when climbing hills as soon as I put power to her. Suppose to warm up so snow should settle. I had problems with mine breaking the solder on my TJ all the time from vibration. I don't know how yours is mounted. Mines held in with 2-1/2" carriage bolts at the bottom and a 3/8 bolt on top. I cut two pieces of rubber out of the sidewall of a tire, drilled them, placed them between the radiator and frame and put longer 1/2" bolts in. Then I found two small coil springs and put them between the frame and the nut. Did the same on the top so the radiator isn't getting so much vibration through the frame. Hope this helps.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Tom

I have a little different take on the subject.   I was looking for the salt box to fill the salt shaker and it was no-where to be found.  I asked my wife to get some and she, very disgustedly, opened the very cabinet in which I had looked and showed me the big square box of Morton's salt with "When it rains it pours", emblazoned across the front.

"But... but..... ", I stammered, I was looking for the round container. Salt is supposed to be in a round box, and this one doesn't have a big picture of that little girl with the umbrella."

It didn't help. I was just talking to the back of her head.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!