The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Jd 440 Steering problem  (Read 8673 times)

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
Re: Jd 440 Steering problem
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 01:48:06 am »

you dont need that fancy blade valve. replace it with a closed center spool valve. back in the 80's deere sold a conversion kit to replace the blade valve. it was a simple spool valve
[/quote]

Hmm. Now you tell me.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 05:36:10 am »

you dont need that fancy blade valve. replace it with a closed center spool valve. back in the 80's deere sold a conversion kit to replace the blade valve. it was a simple spool valve

Hmm. Now you tell me.  :D
[/quote] you didnt ask before

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:57 pm »
Ok, I guess that's a pretty good reason.  smiley_beertoast
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline Old Iron nut

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:52 pm »
Back in the late 70's or earlier 80's I worked for a chap that had a 440 JD skidder and every now and the the hydraulic system would screw up. It acted like it ran out of oil. We replaced some check valves in the front pump which we found later that wasn't necessary. There is a little oil pump in the rear of the transmission at the top that keeps the front pump primed. It finally got so bad that we could't use the machine. It turned the machine off to one side so that I had access to the rear of the tranny, drained off the oil in a washtub, and pulled the rear cover off the tranny. The suction line to the small pump was only held in by an oil ring and the line had fell out partially, allowing the pump to such air. I brazed the line back in place (totally around the line) and added a clamp to hold the line so that it could not vibrate out in case it broke again. Installed the cover, added the oil, and we never had any more trouble. This arrangement only shows how stupid some of these engineers are. Why couldn't they have the pump down lower in the oil so one couldn't have this problem. The oil line was only about a half inch in diameter or so as I recollect, it might have been a little larger, that was 30 plus years ago. Cheers, Old Iron nut.