iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Three point hitch log skidding grapple

Started by logman81, February 10, 2011, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I'm thinking about looking into getting a three point hitch skidding grapple. I currently have a Fransgard winch it works grate for thinning wood lots. I thinking that the grapple will be easier to use as I would not have to set chokers on the logs and would save me from having to get on and of the tractor so much. Do the grapples work good for thinning wood lots? Would I be able to get more production out of the tractor? I interested in the uniforest scorpion 1800 grapple it looks like a very well made unit and easy to use. Just looking for input on what you all think or if you have experience with one.     
Precision Firewood & Logging

g_man

They look like nice units but I could not use one in my woods. There are very few trees that I can back right up to with a tractor because of the rough terrain. Maybe it would work if I was working with someone else who was felling and winching to the road where the grapple could get it  to skid out. Try getting some logs without using your winch cable and see how it works out.

lumberjack48

I took a look at it on google, looks like a pretty slick little grapple. Logging bigger timber and picking up logs it would be easier and faster then climbing off and on the tractor.
No , they don't work good for thinning, all-tho on some thinning you do have room to get around with out skinning up other trees.
More production would depend on how far your skidding, on a long pull you want to pull as many trees, you can every turn.
You need good ground, fairly flat, ect, you'd still have your cable for rougher going ect,[ ether- or ]
On a short skid this would be fast, grab-an-go-an-drop, and deck after pulling 6 to 10 trees. You should have 3 to 4 landings, that way you can pull 60 to 80 trees before sawing up.

Depends on the cost to.
It would be nice to have dry gloves
Easy for your wife to use
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Stephen Alford

Hey logman 81, are you thinking of a bypass grapple and hauling tree length or will you be trying to carry product from the stump to the landing ?  Got some pics in the gallery of the one I have been using for 20 years.
logon

Maine372

when i was logging with a tractor had a couple lots where i was pulling lots of big wood. either one tree to a hitch or actually merchandizing the tree where it falls and pulling it in two hitches.

i wanted a grapple for the same reasons you listed, less on and off, and saving time. i never got the money together and i realized somthing. most of the wood that would have been grab one and go was to big for a grapple that my tractor would support. so i would still need the winch so i could use a long chain to get around it.

i still wanted one. wouldnt be to hard to keep on the landing with the tractor and swap out as needed. remember you will need a hydraulic circuit for it, my tractor didnt have one and that was another hangup.

good luck with your decision, and remember pics are required.

bill m

I have a grapple  ( made by Iron & Oak ) for my tractor and it works great for smaller trees and lot clearing. Sometimes I use it for bunching logs to the skid trail and then pick them up with my trailer. The biggest drawback with it is the amount of weight it will pick up. The grapple can handle the weight but being so far behind the ends of the lift arms it greatly reduces the amount you can lift. My grapple opening is 52 inches and will grab some big logs just can't pick them up :(

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ed_K

I have often thought of mounting one onto the winch.Using a hydrolic piston to move it up down as needed.That was till i read Bill's latest comment   :( .
Ed K

logman81

I think it might work good for the lot that I'm on now. The wood is small 8'' to 12'' mostly with flat ground with good straight trails. It would make the wife more productive with the machine and yes it would keep your hands dry. :) I hate getting my gloves soaked and having to work like that all day even with extra pairs of gloves you just bring home more wet gloves. :( My tractor is fairly strong for it's size built very heavy about 8,000 without winch so I think the weight of the grapple would not effect it much. I've also been granted to cut the whole lot witch is a total of 75 acres so it would definitely pay for it self. The wood lot is dense about fifteen to twenty cord to the acre. I will try to get the logs out without winching and see how well it works tomorrow and will take some new pics of the layout. Thanks again for your help. ;D

woodmills1

send me a PM one of my tree guys has one he bought      too large for his smaller Kubota
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ed_K

Logman, I carry a pair of rubber gloves from Gemplers that way I keep my warm gloves dry ;).
Ed K

logman81

I like the set up you got there bill m. I didn't know Iron $ oak made one with a winch on it. How much weight can you lift with it? What is required for hydraulic hook up? Thanks for the great tip Ed K I'll have to get some. I'm still thinking about getting one but not sure it would be that much better than what I already have.

bill m

Iron & Oak does not offer a winch - I installed it myself.  To operate the grapple you only need one set of remotes. The amount of weight you can lift is determined be what the 3 pt. hitch on your tractor can lift. Being that the grapple is so far behind the ends of the lift arms it reduces the amount you can lift. I can pick up about 200 bd. ft. of pine. The higher you can get it the better. It pulls easier and puts more weight on the rear wheels. On the bigger stuff it works better if you grab them by the small end. On firewood size trees ( under 12 inches dbh ) you can grab 3 at a time, just have to make they stay tight in the grapple. If you have to back up with with something in the grapple and the log is at an angle be careful you will bend your lift arms. If you do not have a long skid it is faster than a winch.

g_man

Quote from: bill m on February 10, 2011, 08:13:38 PM
I have a grapple  ( made by Iron & Oak ) for my tractor and it works great for smaller trees and lot clearing. Sometimes I use it for bunching logs to the skid trail and then pick them up with my trailer. The biggest drawback with it is the amount of weight it will pick up. The grapple can handle the weight but being so far behind the ends of the lift arms it greatly reduces the amount you can lift. My grapple opening is 52 inches and will grab some big logs just can't pick them up :(

Bill how do you power and control that winch. What is it ? Nice set up !

Doc Hickory

I see Wallenstein makes a nice 3 point grapple also, has bypass tines to grip stuff as small as 3". I've also encountered a 3 point grapple that swivels like a backhoe..can't remember who makes it right now-that one requires 2 sets of remotes, one for the grapple, one for the swing. Long live the internet!
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

logman81

Thanks bill m for the info, you did a nice job putting that winch on there. :) Do the grapples come with their own hydraulic control valve? I have a backhoe that runs off the tractor hydraulics there is one line that comes out of the pump (high pressure) and one that dumps back into the hydraulic tank of the tractor. Would I be able to run a grapple off this system?

logman81

I have seen the wallenstein grapples they look ok. Don't think their as well built as the uniforest grapples they seem to be built very rugged. I'm thinking about getting one to use for short skids and cleaning up slash on my jobs!

bill m

Logman81, The grapple does not come with a control valve.
g_man, The winch is a hydraulic Ramsey rph8000.

I modified a 2 speed rear shifter to operate the free wheel so I did not have to get on and off the tractor

treefarmer87

that is one neat tractor setup you have bill m :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

g_man

Thanks bill, Good picture too. I like it.

logman81

Well I've decided to stick with the winch for now kind of hard to beat for thinning and doing selective cutting. I'm going to hold off and look for a old small skidder of Iron mule instead of the grapple.

logman81

Well after many land clearing jobs and more coming I have changed my mind. I am going to purchase a grapple in the future for my tractor. I will keep the winch for when I need to work on hills. I desided on the smaller Ryan's grapple I like the design and it's not to heavy about 400lbs.

logman81

Does any one know how many gpm it takes to operate the grapple? My tractor, puts out 16 gpm.

bill m

I'm not sure what Ryan's specs for their grapple but I would think 16 gpm should be enough. My tractor is about 12 gpm and works fine with my grapple. Have you looked at the ones from Iron and Oak?  That is what I have. I know they say a shipping weight of 650 lbs. but mine does not weigh anywhere near that.

logman81

Yes I checked them out they are actually a little more money and I don't think they are built as well as ryn's grapple? Ryan's claims  only 400lbs.

logman81

do the grapples work good for dragging brush and bunching small trees? I was thinking it would be good also for pre bunching tree length logs for my skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!