iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

snowblowers

Started by David_c, December 08, 2003, 04:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

hey good people i need to get a snowblower and was wondering what kind you folks have or wish you had.

Minnesota_boy

I have an Erskine.  Mounts on the 3 point of my tractor and cuts a 6' swath.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

David_c

thanks minnisota_boy but i am looking to get a walk behind kind. also is that 6" or 6' if 6' thats definatly the cats meow.

Scott

My neighbor dished out some big money and bough one of those honda blowers with the tracks and electro hyraulic shute, some slick. We have a 8 HP craftsman that works fine for anything we get into.

David_c

hey scott i was looking at those honda's with the tracks 32" cut nice unit 11 horse power. but before i dish out so much $ i would like to see what others are useing.

Minnesota_boy

David,
Thanks for the heads-up on the inches-feet mark.  It really does 6 feet, but I usually use the plow on my pickup, because my pickup has a cab and a heater that works.  :o  

I use that tractor mounted blower to remove the snowplow banks so the snow doesn't drift over them.  It mounts on the 45 horse tractor and takes every pony it has when you blow compacted snow, but it will throw it 30 to 40 feet if you rev the engine.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

David_c

that is sweet. and i hear you on the heated cab ;D

CHARLIE

I recommend no less than a 5hp, 2 stage snowblower with wheels.

I have a 5hp, 2 stage with 5 forwards and 2 reverses that has served me well since 1982. Rarely, the snow is heavy enough that I have to go slow.  

I would not want a snowblower with tracks. Too much work. With regular tires, I can lift the front of my snowblower and spin it around.  You can't do that with tracks. You would have to drive it around and that's a pain in the patooty if you are in a tight spot.  I've rarely got into situations where my tires spin, but if that is a concern, there are chains.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

David_c

my driveway is 200 feet long and opens up to about 50 by 75' dirt also have 5 outside dogs i want to be able to keep there areas snow free i am looking at the 11hp honda 32" has tracks seems nice but i know nothing about snowblowers.

CHARLIE

If I were you, I'd look at getting a snowblower attachment that fits onto a lawn tractor.  I know of several people here in town with John Deere Lawn Tractors and in the winter they attach a snowblower attachment to the front. It does a fine job.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

David_c

dont have one. thanks though.

oakiemac

Don't mess around with cheap junk. Go to an auction or e-bay and buy yourself an old Gravely with the snowblower attatchment. You can get a good one with a 4 speed transmission (walk behind) and several attatchments like mowers, rottotillers for under $500. Gravelys were built with all gear drive, no belts, no cheap foriegn parts. I inherited my grand fathers 1970 model 5660 12hp and it runs like the day it was bought. They are indestructable. I'll be passing this machine off to my grand kids. It throws snow 20 ft. One word of caution-keep all women and children inside when running the snow blower. It'll trow a rock like a bullet. These machines are tough, but no modern safety features. I could go on a long time about Gravelys so I'll shut up now.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Mark M

I have an 8hp Honda with tracks. If I had it to do over I would not get the tracks because to me it is hard to steer and my arms get very tired. I do really like the hydrostatic drive however and it starts 1st pull, even after setting all summer.

David_c

thanks mark i have been doing some research and alot of folks say that.

Kirk_Allen

I have had a Craftsman 6 speed 2 reverse with tracks.  I lived in Anchorage for 10 years and can say there was never anything I couldnt handle with it.  

I have had wheels and tracks and though the tracks are harder to stear, they grip much better than wheels.  I prefer the track any day.

I think the one I have is a 26-30" and about 8 horse.

Thank You Sponsors!