iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turnings in the last Month

Started by Lud, February 09, 2011, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

Turned some stuff in the last few weeks and wanted to share.

The lid on the left is sort of like a bellybutton.  It can be an innie or an outie

I am liking the finals in a dark wood ......kind of like chess pieces

The one on the left feels Turkish for some reason
Here's the group.

and some bowls.   I'm trying to burn some Ash bowls with a torch like the candle sticks in the previous pic.

And these two 8" and the 17"platter are in Imbuia (sp?) a /south American wood that a friend brought back as a 2" thick plank from Brazil.  The big guy in back is Walnut.

Birdseye Maple,  Speckled Cherry and Ash that has been torched.

So ,  What do you think, eh? ;D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

beenthere

Lud
Looking great. Pretty impressive collection of turnings. Well done.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

They're beautiful Lud. :)
I need lessons. :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

Hi Lud,  very nice work there! :) 8)

How fine do you sand to and what finish do you use?

Here are some recent ones of mine that were meant for food this time (salad bowls and tongs).  The wood is Claro Walnut and the finish is a mixture of food grade mineral oil and carnuba wax.

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Dale Hatfield

Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Lud

Chris the claro walnut looks great.   I use a test of holding a turning with my eyes closed to evaluate the "hand" of how it feels...what the balance and weight is, etc.  I want it to look and feel as good as possible.,

Dale,  burning erodes the spring wood more and results in a wavy texture. Burn it ,  put it back on the lathe, scrub it off with a nylon pad, sand if you want, oil and wax to finish.  And the black you get is a lot cheaper than ebony!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Very nice pieces Lud.  That Imbuia (sp) also has a strong odor when you are working it.  :o   I'll bet Jim King and add some insight.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

You've been busy, Lud!  The speckled cherry bowl in the last pic is my favorate.

I don't think I turned that many all last year. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Burlkraft

You've been busy Lud!

Like Chris I don't believe that I have turned that much in the last year

The finials look good. Ya gotta like eye!

Good work!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jim king

QuoteVery nice pieces Lud.  That Imbuia (sp) also has a strong odor when you are working it.     I'll bet Jim King and add some insight.
Magicman:  I have never seen the wood as it grows several thousand kilometers from here.

Peter Drouin

the bowls look nice, nice work, can I make a bowl out of bass wood? I have a 12"x 10' long log I would like to cut it up in to bowl blanks. what do you all think. :) pete
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lud

Well, others might care to weigh in on this, but basswood is the classic carving wood..color is bland, grain is straight and true, not too hard, not to soft etc.   But does that make it a good turning wood?  It's only 12" , ...not bad,  maybe get 10" bowl when you split it down the heart.  I think it would be a lightweight on the lathe.  Classic turning material is pretty hard, walnut, cherry, ash, oak,  maple, hickory, in my order of hardness  .  Crotch or burl to get some character,  maybe some knots nearby for swirl, outer cambium in play for some color contrast.

I turn a bit of poplar now and then which is softer than walnut, it has some satisfactions but kind of bland.  I'd suspect basswood would be similar.

I 'd say this stuff would be good forgiving practice material to start getting the feel of the tools and the lathe but won't make keepsake bowls. Hope this helps. :)

Burlkraft

I would cut the basswood for carving blanks.

I sell some to our local Woodcraft Store.

They take all I can get them usually and they always sell them.

Maybe you could trade carving blanks for turning blanks.

I agree with Lud on the basswood
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jamesamd

Well met Lud,I like them all,SWEET work!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!