iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ripping chain

Started by ely, February 09, 2011, 04:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

what is the most common angle for someone that is ripping a log with a chain saw.
i get some larger logs at times and quarter them with my saw before i put them on the mill. i have alot of the time just used my regular chain, at one time i had a chain that i had sharpened to almost 90 degrees that i would put on to rip with.
just wondering if there was an angle that works best.

sealark37

Chain that is designed to rip saw is available from the on-line saw supply distributors.  You may be able to find it at a good chainsaw dealer, but not many carry loops.  Some may have a roll of rip chain, to make the loops to order.  You will be pleased with the increased performance of rip chain.  Keep your regular chains sharp for cross-cuts.  Regards, Clark

Kcwoodbutcher

I find that regular chain actually rips faster but ripping chain produces a smoother cut. Cutting goes a lot faster if you can use a long bar and cut at an angle not directly attacking the end grain, you know the angle that produces those long slivers of shavings that eventually clog your saw.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

hobbytrucker1966

i sharpen mine at 5 deg on my mill
fourth generation sawyer with all my fingers

mad murdock

0 to 5 deg.  When I got my ripping chain new, it was at about 5 deg maybe 10 at most, It cut well, but when I sharpened it I went straight across (0 deg.), and it makes a smoother board, cutting speed seems about the same, maybe a tad slower.  For freehand quartering, I would just use a full skip chisel tooth chain for a faster job.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mikeb1079

most milling chain manufacturers grind their chain to 10 deg.  as others have said the closer you get to 0 deg (or 90 deg depending on how you look at it) the smoother the cut.  i mill at 10 deg (woodland pro chain) and like it alot.  compared to using standard cross cutting chain it produces a much much smoother surface.  i've not done timed cuts but i didn't notice a huge slowdown with the milling chain.
good luck
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

bill m

Kcwoodbutcher is correct. I have ripped thousands of feet of logs with a chainsaw and regular chain cuts faster just not as smooth of a finish as ripping chain. If you are just breaking down large logs to fit on the mill I would use regular chain.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Brucer

I used to make my own ripping chain by re-grinding a standard chain.

- File straight across (right angles to the bar).
- Keep the file level (don't file upward toward the chain).
- File deeper into the gullet so there is a lot more hook on the tooth.

This always cut faster than regular chain.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

weisyboy

do you wanna do this kinda ripping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn4e-uLbic

or this kinda ripping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbbx_pwxD9I

what size saw and size log do you wanna rip down,

how smotehr cut do you want.

you can ct frigin fast i a rough cut isnt a problem.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Lud

For ripping big logs,  I'm about to try a "skip-tooth" chain.  Additional raking gets more important to keep the kerf clean.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ely

all i am doing is quartering a big log to fit on the bandmill. it is a sycamore that i hope is spalted, i have a ms 360 with a 24 inch bar, so i am in no hurry on the ripping. smoothness does not matter at all.

clww

I run a 5 degree angled grind on the two bars(36" and 54") I use for ripping those big logs. As others have previously posted, you can rip with either design. On smaller diameter pieces, I've had just as smooth with regular chiseled chain.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Sec

skip tooth ripping chains great for falling stringy bark because it has time to clean its self out were normal clogs up and you have to take it off and clean it out

weisyboy

for just quatering its like post splitting.

you want a big saw, with a bar about 40% longet than half the log (if that makes sense). chain ground to standard 25 deg or up to 40, low rakers and hangon.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Mad Professor

Ripping a full 24" is asking a lot of a ms360

customsawyer

I use the skip tooth chain on a 48" bar with a ms660 and it does fine. I ripped a 48" dia. 16' red oak last week in just over a tank of gas. I file the chain to the regular 20-25 degree angle and let it rip. I have tried the ripping chain and found it slower but smoother as stated above. It will help to have a few wedges on hand to keep the cut open. With practice you get better at it.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sigidi

:o I WANT THOSE LOGS :o

All week and most the month would be great!!! any chance of having about 20/wk? 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

Meadows Miller

Quote from: sigidi on February 14, 2011, 03:47:57 AM
:o I WANT THOSE LOGS :o

All week and most the month would be great!!! any chance of having about 20/wk? 8)

I think we all would like logs like that day in day out It dont have to be Oak I'll take Pine Too  ;) Problem is Id need a bigger loader though Al  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

Loader?!?

Don't tell me you getting old or somethin Chris?

What ya want a loader for, I'd almost move the mill for each log at 48" dia :o

Meadows Miller

Me OLD  :o :o :) :) Im not 30 yet am I   ;) :D :D ;D Im not straying to far from home these days with the mill as I have to help Mum and Dad with the Log building for at least the next 6 weeks so traveling upto 100mi to a job for two days work and still having the logistics of getting the timber loaded and delivered it easier to just get John to pick afew loads up and del them for me he loads with a jcb teli I just have to watch what lengths I dock them to but the old chaimberlain will still clean lift and get around with a 9'long by 4' dia pine on it  ;) ;D you just don't wanna try driving it uphill  ;) :D :D :D

I got that job too as much as I can send them COD too Mate  ;)  ;D 8) he even liked my rough sleepers I was getting treated for Myself   :o :) :) I said you wont' be seeing nothing that looks like that Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D Im lining up the first couple of jobs atm one windbreak and about a 5 acre block of big pine  ;)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sigidi

Quote from: Meadows Miller on February 14, 2011, 04:46:06 AM
I got that job too as much as I can send them COD too Mate  ;)  ;D 8) he even liked my rough sleepers I was getting treated for Myself   :o :) :) I said you wont' be seeing nothing that looks like that Mate  ;) :D ;D ;D Im lining up the first couple of jobs atm one windbreak and about a 5 acre block of big pine  ;)

Sounds terrific Chris 8) ;D

Thank You Sponsors!