iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ozark Chinquapin

Started by chain, February 09, 2011, 02:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Update available at www.ozarkchinquapin.com. This tree nearly wiped our by the chestnut blight is continually being found and ID'd in SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, and other States. Important for all forest folks to be familiar with identity of this tree. Some trees stricken and killed with blight continue to sprout; fortunately, a few resistant trees have been found. At any rate the website is a great educator for identification of the species.

ely

that is an interesting site. thanks for sharing.

chain

Quote from: ely on February 09, 2011, 03:26:03 PM
that is an interesting site. thanks for sharing.
.....Well..you're most welcome! First time I visited the site I realized I had seen a similar tree somewhere before. I found two trees that have leaves much like the 'Ozark' but turned out they were the Chinquapin oak, a tree with the typical acorn, whereas the 'Ozark' has spiney husks covering the seed like the chestnut tree. My search is ongoing; as noted, the wood of the 'Ozark' is decay resistant....and somewhere in the forest there lies evidence of years past of a once heathy forest of Ozark chinquapin trees.

Larry

I keep searching and thought I found a little one once but was mistaken.  Nations Sawmill down in Prarrie Grove had a few wide boards.  I tried to buy them and was turned down. :(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ely

you may think im crazy but i have seen the trees somewhere in my travels, i just have to pay attention to figure out where.

pineywoods

I have a small one in my back yard. Big crop of nuts every year, but most times the bushy tail rats get there first.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!