iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Troy Built?

Started by Typhoon, December 08, 2003, 03:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Hey, any of you have any experience with Troy-Built stuff? I am looking to buy a straight-shaft brush trimmer. I initially was going to get a husky (that is what my saws are and I love them) but you can get a troy-built with a larger engine for a little less money. I know that doesnt necessarily mean its better, but for the price it looks pretty well built. I am thinking of going with the 2-stroke model because of cost. The 4 strokes really jump up in price. Looking at a 26cc 2-stroke model for around 189.00. The 24cc 2-stroke Husky model is 269.00. Thanks for any input!!

Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Scott

We have a Troy Built tiller and its tough as nails. We also have a troy built lawn mower, it seems to be holding up well. My dad really likes thier stuff and has had no problems with them.

Tobacco Plug

I have a Troy Built tiller and it is just great.  Don't know about the other equipment they have, but the company was bought by the folks who make Bolens (I think it is called MTD) a couple of years ago, so I don't know about current quality.  You know how it is when new folks take over an old established company.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Ed_K

I have a troybuilt (pony) rototiller, 6 or 8 yrs old, no problems. Have a mtd lawn mower its works fine too. As for the brushsaw, I have the husky 240r, Its 4yrs old and the only problem I've had was with the clutch. Changed from clip system to springs and haven't had a problem with it. I use carbide skill saw blades on it, Touch a rock and you can still finish the tank, before changing.
Ed
Ed K

RMay

I got a Troy-Built tiller and if the Troy-Built brush trimmer is like there tillers it should be a wall made trimmer if it is made by them or is it made by some one else and painted red  ::)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

DanG

I dunno! ???  The old TroyBilt tillers were second to none in quality, but I'm now seeing a lot of stuff with that name that looks awfully "MTD".  Not that MTD isn't good stuff, but it ain't in the same category with TB's reputation. Methinx MTD might have just bought it to get the name.
On the other hand, I was looking at pressure washers at Lowe's, the other night, and they had a Troybilt with a 6.5hp Briggs on it for $299. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company best price for a Briggs 6.5 is $264, and you get the frame, pump and wand for the other $35?  Looks like a promotional deal to me.  I may buy one, anyway. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LSUNo1

I have a Troy Built weed eater with 4 cycle engine. I love it! Its the only weed eater I've had that I havent had to take apart after the first year or two of use.

ScottAR

MTD owns Troy bilt now.  MTD is owned by electrolux.  They also own Cub Cadet, Snapper, Bolens, and I think Husky.  Maybe wrong on Husky though...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

chet

Yur right, they do own Husky. Have for a long time.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Mark M

I went to the vacuum cleaner store the other day and they have Husky sewing machines - DanG nice ones that sell for over $3000! Can you imagine paying more for a sewing machine than a chainsaw :o

ScottAR

If I was a sewing instead of cutting... :D

I used to work at a screen printer/ embroidery type place.  They had a 15 head embroidery machine that cost nearly $20k.   Pretty cool to watch, the hat or shirt would move automaticly in the programmed pattern and all moved at the same time...    Loud though, Can you imagine 15 sewing machines going full bore at once?
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Stan

My wife has a sewing machine that cost more than any chainsaw. But then there are only 2 others similar in the whole world. She has another that only cost her $300, but it would remove your fingers faster than any chainsaw in the world.  :-[
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!