iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new guy, intrduction

Started by sawmillsmith, February 09, 2011, 01:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmillsmith

Hello all, I love this forum, it's been very helpfull. I have an old circle mill, I think it's an American #2, at least it's got some ameican parts on it. It's kind of a frankenstien mill, all steel construction etc.  Power is from a 220 cummins truck engine, I currently have a 48" blade w/ 40 teeth. I've had the mill for about 7 years, and although I consider myself an amature at this, I'e had pretty good luck with it. I should add that I only cut for myself and a couple of niegbors on my road. I think I have a lot to learn before I can charge actual money for this. Another interesting thing I have for moving wood around is an old Garrett 15 skidder w/ a front end loader on it. I have never seen one of these before this one, only heard of them. I've had machinery in my life, but this thing tops them all!  I live near Buckley, Wa. which is one town over from where Garretts were born. Anyway, I love talking about sawmill stuff and Garrett stuff, and collecting any advice I can.   Thanks, sawmillsmith     

redbeard

Welcome sawmillsmith, Nice logs in your area, I spent a few years in Algona in the 80s doing construction, worked all over. Several folks are running old Americans on the FF, Can you post some pics?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fishpharmer

Hi there, Sawmillsmith!!! Glad to have you on FF!! I look forward to hearing about your sawmill adventures.  Can't wait to see pictures of your Garrett skidder too. 8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

weisyboy

gday and welcome, how about some pics?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Sawmillsmith......you'll learn a lot on here! In fact, we all know the words to the Star Spangled Banner!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I can't help you with your mill, but I can say Welcome to the Forestry Forum, sawmillsmith   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome Sawmillsmith.....you will have lots of fun here.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

SandpointSawmill

I, too, want to see pictures - especially of your skidder!

Welcome!
Scott
www.SandpointSawmill.com

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, 2010 Wood-Mizer LT15G15

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forum Sawmillsmith!  Check out the pics in my gallery, I have a Garrett Tree Farmer mod. 15A (diesel).
They are nice machines.  I will not part with mine.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

backwoods sawyer

Glad to welcome you here 8) I looked at one of those Garrett's a while back. Good solid log handler. This one has hydraulic issues but still is used, so will be glad to hear more information on them.

Seven years of playing just about should qualify you to be able to be called a "sawyer".
I know ::) some places it can take longer :)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sawmillsmith

Thankyou everyone for the welcome, I'll try to get some pictures on soon, but right now I need to get my computer worked on. Maybe the motherboard needs to be hammered and retensioned or something I dunno. I'll try not to keep you in suspence too long! Thanks, sawmillsmith

bandmiller2

Welcome millsmith,what do you use for a governor on your Cummins.Does the limiting speed over the road gov. hold your speed constant wile sawing.? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawmillsmith

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 17, 2011, 06:54:35 AM
Welcome millsmith,what do you use for a governor on your Cummins.Does the limiting speed over the road gov. hold your speed constant wile sawing.? Frank C.
I was wondering if someone would ask about that. After looking everywhere and asking everybody, I was lucky to finaly find an original Woodward full range governor that mounts on the accesory drive ahead of the pt pump. It was off an older engine w/ a disc pump so it turned out to be quite a project to get it to fit. Since I had to make adaptors for both ends I went ahead and kept the Bendix compressor too. That lashup puts the pt pump 2/3 the way back on the engine. The woodward gov uses its own oil pressure vs. flyweight for balance. It seems to be very sensitive, and works very well.  I know i could have used a small belt drive tractor gov. but this seemed to be a better way.  I will try starting an album and post some pictures there.

bandmiller2

Millsmith,your right about that Woodward governor being sensitive,they used them on gen sets to hold RPM/cycles constant.Judging from your adaption you've got what it takes to be a sawyer and mechanic.What do you use to turn the logs on the carriage?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!