iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Likely To Tip Over?

Started by treefarmer87, February 08, 2011, 11:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

which would be more likely to tip a bell feller buncher or a skid steer with a cutter head ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bandmill Bandit

depend an awful lot on the A) operator and B) terrain C) tree size. A bad operator can tip a rocking chair. ;D
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

chucker

to many differances in the machines ! although the skid loader has its feet(tracks) planted flat on the ground .... lower center of gravity!! its like a wide front tractor over a narrow front ,wide is better!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

ephnyb

ABell is ten feet wide vs Skidsteer under eight feet.
There are Old Loggers and there are Bold Loggers, But No Old Bold Loggers

treefarmer87

i might hold off on the cutter, there is a CTR 42 sawbuck for $2500. i might put a saw package on my loader ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

forget the skidsteer. 2500 for the slasher and another 3000 to hook it up not enought valves or oil

treefarmer87

it will cost $3000 to run the hoses and add the extra spool!!!!? my loader already has a 3 stage pump i am running 2 stages right now... cant i run it on the stage im not using?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

how many gpm??? my valmet with a 150keto head takes 80gpm to run it really well it has a combiner valve so bolth pumps combine to run the saw    feed tracks.. thats running a 22" bar   chain  that is about like a 50hp chain saw. i knew a guy that had a bar slasher on a 130 barco it worked but it was slow. most up here have circle saw slashers. how old is that crane?? looks sorta like an old 150 prentice. its old it needs an easier life than trying to lift tree lenght. your wood looks heavy

snowstorm

call a dealer that sold ctr ask them how much oil it needs then price bars and chains. 3/4 pitich bars are a lot of cash. mine runs 404 chain . bars $65....chain$17

treefarmer87

i would use it for smaller saw logs but mostly pulpwood. im not sure how old the loader is ??? my old one had a 4 cyl ford motor and a saw package on it. On the CSI site, they say it needs like 60 to 80 GPM to turn over the 4200 DL model. i have 4 saws to choose from a CTR 42, 2 FEC short frames, and a FEC with a 16' bunk. i picked up a 16" tree length poplar with it the other day :). i would be picking up small stuff with it though anywhere from 4" to 12" stuff. im going to mount a heel on the jib boom, like my old one had.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

if you have a triple pump it is most likely 25gpm per section. that means you would need all 3 combined into one hose to run the saw. while the saw was running you could not use anything else. the tricky part is coming up with something that will work well . valves hoses pressure return case drain for the saw motor. for an old crane its not worth it. i have come up with some real projects over the yrs.......most work out fine......but ive been working on this for over 35 yrs......ya learn when ta hold em when ta fold em

treefarmer87

i have seen smaller barkos and prentices pushing circle saws, how do they do that?
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

how small?? bar saw may not need as much as circle saw. job i hauled off from yrs ago had a hood crane  big 28000 series maybe. had a big pump for just the saw cause the saw turns all the time. the flywheel efect helps keep it going. the hood worked great in sp fir hard wood it slowed down. next problem you will have is heat pumping more oil = more heat. got an oil cooler on yours?? youll need one big one. dont know if you want my advice ......but your gona get it. you always cut hard wood like in your pics?? ditich the truck the crane the skidder buy a fowarder. have one good cutter work with you . find someone to haul your wood your not making a nickle with that truck. if you got wood on the ground you can yard it with a fowarder you can work in the rain snow or after the sun goes down

Bobus2003

Quote from: snowstorm on February 11, 2011, 07:53:13 PM
how small?? bar saw may not need as much as circle saw. job i hauled off from yrs ago had a hood crane  big 28000 series maybe. had a big pump for just the saw cause the saw turns all the time. the flywheel efect helps keep it going. the hood worked great in sp fir hard wood it slowed down. next problem you will have is heat pumping more oil = more heat. got an oil cooler on yours?? youll need one big one. dont know if you want my advice ......but your gona get it. you always cut hard wood like in your pics?? ditich the truck the crane the skidder buy a fowarder. have one good cutter work with you . find someone to haul your wood your not making a nickle with that truck. if you got wood on the ground you can yard it with a fowarder you can work in the rain snow or after the sun goes down
[/b]

Pretty good advice.. Running my processor and Skid steer makes it so i can work longer days (Including Times of Dark) and still do it safely

treefarmer87

i would like a forwarder, i cant find any around here :(.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

Quote from: ga jones on February 11, 2011, 09:51:52 PM
You wont find a forwarder for 100 miles of these parts. I dont know what kind of conditions you work in but around here its mostly small select cuts .Land owners dont want them around. To much damage to the forest. You dont even see swing grapples for the same reason. That why small cable skidders are so popular in appalation hard wood country.
a fowarder will do far less damage than a skidder. your not dragging anything. no skid trees. just 2 tracks thru the woods

treefarmer87

if i had one i could get into some nice timber stands around here, nobody has one around here anymore. there was a iron mule around here about 10 yrs ago. my friend had it and sold it to a man, the man used it and tore it up :( i found a nice valmet 544X
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7611465&
in alabama, i would love to have. 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

there ya go. dosent say if its power shift or not. it dose have the smaller crane. i have a 646 power shift 6 wheel bigger crane cummins tracks chains. dosent have any trouble with the 3' of snow we have. comes out with 4cd on it

treefarmer87

and it takes ford tractor parts- dealership less than 5 mi from the house :). i wish iwould have seen it sooner when i bought the top kick and the prentice, i had the money to buy it, and i could have got it and never had to look back.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

ga jones

a fowarder will do far less damage than a skidder. your not dragging anything. no skid trees. just 2 tracks thru the woods

In these woods there isnt room for a forwarder you will damage other trees that you are not harvesting. Be it @ the stump or knocking limbs off. You also have to run over sapplings that can be avoided with a small cable skidder.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

PAFaller

Its all in the operator!!! And there are plenty of forwarders in PA, I could rattle off a handful of guys working them. Heck I ran one and become good friends with the owner of an 8 wheeled Rottne here in Tioga County. I've seen jobs cut with horses that look like a bomb went off because they only took the 2 best logs out of the tree and left the rest,, and couldn't directionally fell at all by the looks of things. I've also seen jobs cut with Timbcos and 748 grapple skidders that looked great. With that said you have to match the job to the equipment too. A guy with a CTL processor and a forwarder probably wont go cut 15mbf out of someones 10 acre back yard, but there are plenty of instances thinning out low-grade that a CTL setup is the way to go. On top of that, if you are out plucking just the gravy out of a woodlot thats 16 inches and bigger yes it makes it look better when you weasel them out with a little cable machine, but thats not forestry either. Aside from sugar maple, most of our hardwoods need ample sunlight to regenerate, which means cutting out a lot of junk if you are doing it right. And most of the 'saplings' we have up here are beech brush, and as far as I'm concerned they can run that stuff over all day long!
It ain't easy...

ga jones

I may have over reached with that response .I have never seen them in western luzerne and eastern columbia county. And most of the logging Im involved in and see is plucking out 16inch and up.Maybe there just not popular around here.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!