iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Work Trip To The Bush

Started by Trailer Builder, February 08, 2011, 02:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer Builder

We took our blokes up the bush for a work trip a while back to try to get them enthused about what they build.

Ed_K

Thats a nice trailer setup,dot here in massachusetts would have a field day figuring why we shouldn't have one on the rd.
Ed K

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Tom

I'm wondering what those fenders are made from and how long they last?

Even the paint is pretty.

Jeff

So were ya all in the sleeper?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Trailer Builder

haha nah we caught a bus up there jeff... haha

The mudguards are made of plastic but its not just a standard plastic its a moulded 4-6mm plastic. They are very common over here.

Ed K: I have tried to get in touch with some blokes in usa for sales work but no one seems interested haha it may have something to do with the fact that the people over here pay anywhere up to 240K AUD for this setup lol thats why i put a post up a little while ago about the prices of trailers because i beleive you guys dont pay anymore than about 60k for the similar setup. other than that reason i cannot see why people wouldnt want one...

customsawyer

That is a nice rig and trailer. I haven't seen one like that around here these roads aren't strait enough for that rig.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Autocar

Very nice truck and trailer  ;)
Bill

Trailer Builder

Thanks yeh i love the peterbilts i wish we had more of them here they have a more classic look to them rather than the new plastic fantastic kenworth setup....
These trailers dont track to badly but they are restricted to B Double roads.

Meadows Miller

Gday

I have been meaning to say Welcome to The Forum Cory  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

I see you went out to one of Garry Leeson's landings was that a Hancock's or APM plantation  Mate  ;) I see they are still getting some fair size pulp out off down that way My family use to take all Gary's oversize sawlog for years back in the day   ;)

Jeff the only truck with a sleeper I think  Garry has had was my Uncles  Star which was traded for a loader and and a Big wack off logs back in 92 ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Trailer Builder

Chris,
I beleive its a Hancock's landing, they have a fairly big run of wood now days.
Yeh they seem to be the only ones moving wood in these quantities it seems to have died off unless its plantation which is a shame...
What sort of units did they use to shift the oversize sawlog with?

Meadows Miller

I think they are carting about 1/2 a million tons a year these days  :) :) :)

When He started carting logs to us it was a couple of Sline Inters with Strait Tri Skells Kerugers I think  ??? then he got the first Western Star with the foldAskell in about 86 it was think when the family got out of the mill in 92/3 he had the couple of Stars towing a couple of Your B Doubles Bogie,Bogie,Tri and Bogie,Tri,Tri B doubles Mate  ;) my Uncle did alot of the cartage out of their landings with first up 81 K125 with a Freuhauf flat top or a Freighter Skell then the 88 W/Star they also had a suby with a 69 KW cabover and later an 82 White Road Boss they where flat out back then  :) :) :)  ;) ;D

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

We took everything over 20" 500mm dia They where Bloody Nice Logs   ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Ill ad the McMahon's and AKD  where about the same size back then i think we where a few thousand ton a year behind them As they where taking the same size logs at Colac  but it added about 80ks more to the trip from down your way Heathcote was the shorter haul at about 320ks each way from Sale ;)

Regards Chris

sandhills

Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2011, 04:16:41 PM

I was wondering if I deck that, and put up a few stock racks, how many head of cattle would that scale, hmm........ :D :D :D

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

tjdub

Quote from: Ed_K on February 08, 2011, 04:08:06 PM
Thats a nice trailer setup,dot here in massachusetts would have a field day figuring why we shouldn't have one on the rd.

A Massachusetts logger and an Australian logger were at a forestry conference.  The Australian logger was trying to explain how much bigger things are in his operation, but just couldn't get it through.  Finally the Australian logger said "Look mate! I can load a load of logs and drive all day long and I still wouldn't be at the mill yet!".  The Massachusetts logger says "Yep, I have a truck like that too.".

(adapted from a joke about a Vermont farmer and a Texan rancher)

Trailer Builder

Quote from: sandhills on February 08, 2011, 07:11:11 PM
Quote from: Tom on February 08, 2011, 04:16:41 PM

I was wondering if I deck that, and put up a few stock racks, how many head of cattle would that scale, hmm........ :D :D :D

I dont understand???

Meadows Miller

Gday

Cory I think Tom was asking about the plastic guards over the tires I have never rely liked them that much apart from the fact that they keep a fair bit of grit n grime of the logs during winter  ;) Tom Im sure Cory can fill you out lifespan and such Mate  ;)

Sandhills alot of blokes run low profile 2 deck b doubles for cattle on Volume Loading have never seen one of those buys getting pulled up over weight   ;) :D :)  them in im not sure how many head i hear figures of the 70 to 100 mark thats all depending on the size though Mate  ;) :D :D 

Regards Chris

clww

Definetely could haul a LOT of wood with that beast! Impressive! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Quote from: Trailer Builder on February 08, 2011, 02:42:09 PM
to try to get them enthused about what they build. 

I enjoyed looking at the pictures.  Exposing our younger generations to the actual work of a logging operation is very important, even if it is just looking.  I'm curious, what do they build?  The logging trucks/equipment or something with the logs?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Trailer Builder, I was just messing around about the cattle ;).  That is a very impressive rig, don't think the little 318 Detroit I have in my semi tractor would care much for the loads you are getting on there though :D 

Trailer Builder

Quote from: Magicman on February 09, 2011, 08:52:04 AM
Quote from: Trailer Builder on February 08, 2011, 02:42:09 PM
to try to get them enthused about what they build. 

I enjoyed looking at the pictures.  Exposing our younger generations to the actual work of a logging operation is very important, even if it is just looking.  I'm curious, what do they build?  The logging trucks/equipment or something with the logs?
Magic man we build the logging trailers and fit them to the truck so some of the truck gear is from us as well. See my factory below....

Trailer Builder

Quote from: sandhills on February 09, 2011, 09:38:42 AM
Trailer Builder, I was just messing around about the cattle ;).  That is a very impressive rig, don't think the little 318 Detroit I have in my semi tractor would care much for the loads you are getting on there though :D 
oh haha yeh i follow...  :D
We have a yard truck with a detroit in it i think its one of those dual HP at different RPM setup though... I think 415 -475HP?? But it still struggles to pull something like this easily... These get loaded out to 68 tonnes!!! which and dont quote me on this but you guys woyuld say 150,000 pounds??  8)

snowstorm

thats just a little fellar compared to what they run on the golden road. its in northern maine. look up american logger it was on tv. i knew a guy that hauled up there back when they tried pulling 3 trailers. 25cd per trailer. the off road trailers that they use the axles arent any wider than the tractor but the bunks are 14' wide 14' high. there is at least one westernstar triden 3 rears all drive.....and its air ride

Trailer Builder

I think i have seen them on a youtube video, umm it was a doco on canadian logger i think if you type in log truck drivers it'll come up.

Thank You Sponsors!