iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Real music from real musicians

Started by Norm, February 06, 2011, 12:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I belong to a guitar website where I've been taking lessons for a couple of years now. We were discussing how tired we are of what the music industry pushes down our throats and how few alternatives there are to it. That is until the internet and youtube came along and changed it.

One sections on there is where just normal folks play music they've recorded to various places like youtube. What has always impressed me is how nice folks are to those that are brave enough to do so. Here's one that Mike put on to show that there's plenty of alternatives to the justin biebers and lady gagas of the world. You just have to look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMArk1XVUEk

Warbird

smiley_clapping 

I like it a lot, Norm.  Thanks for sharing.  Back when it was released though, wasn't that Poison song just another example of music that the recording industry was shoving down our throats?  Or are you guys noticing that the problem is much worse?  Regardless, I agree with you.

Kansas

The internet has become the "great equalizer". You can post whatever you want on the you tube, or a personal website,  from songs to anything else.

I was never much of a poison fan, but that is a great song. Even bands I detest, occasionally come up with a gem. I could not stand the group Kiss growing up. Still can't. But their song "Beth" was and is a timeless classic to me. Never cared for Ozzy Osborne's music generally speaking.  But his song "Mama I'm coming home" is one I can listen to over and over again. Now you can find those songs on the internet. We can all complain about business, the economy, government, you name it. But the internet is a portal to whatever you want. And its a wonderful world out there. To me, these are the good old days.

Norm

I'll admit I don't care for the original song but what I do like is a real person playing music.

We've been having a contest on there playing Iron Man. Each of us gives it our own personal touch. It's done on webcams during chats so it can't be recorded to show you but wow there's some awesome players out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF0wRx4XpRw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Our resident rocket scientist doing a cover of AIC's.

Ianab

"Manufactured" pop music isn't a new thing, it was just the same 30-40 years ago.

Luckily the really bad stuff is long gone and forgotten, and only the decent stuff still gets played  (or covered). Same today. There's lot of good music if you sift through the crap, or pick the right radio station.

Been to a few good shows in the last 12 months, from some big commercial bands, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam.. And some not quite so commercial ones like Homegrown which is a one day festival of NZ musicians. Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters are another act I'd line up to see play live.

You might not like all those bands, but they got there because they can write good songs, and perform them. Without relying on the auto-tune and a record companies advertising hype.

Best thing you can do to improve the quality of music? Go see the good bands, buy their music etc. Leave the dribble on the shelf.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

I believe there are several folks on this forum that play some sort of instrument. I would love to see videos of you all performing.

I bought myself a piano about the time Norm started on his guitar. I know I will never be a famous rock star for real, but it sure is fun to try!  :D  I ecently found some of Carol King's music, and I love playing her songs. I may even get brave enough to hook up the microphone and sing along!

Our grandsons think the music room is pretty cool at Gramma & Grampa's house. Every time they visit we end up out there singing and playing music and dancing. It is such a natural instinct in man to want to play & listen to music.

So which one of you brave souls is going to be the first one to post his music video?!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ron Wenrich

I've been playing in bands off and on for nearly 45 years.  I've never made a video.  I've been in on a few recordings, and some of the best stuff is when you just get together for a jam session. 

Over the years there have been all sorts of venues for the serious amateur and the wanna be professional to get together and jam.  Back in the folk days, it wasn't uncommon to just get together in someone's apartment or a park and just jam.  But, that gave way to the country rock scene.

There were a lot of good pickers and players back then.  All young and trying to figure out how to break into the big time.  Most didn't make it.  But, there were always bars to play in.  Jam sessions were often the open mic night they had on Thursday nights.  Sometimes you'd get free beer. 

Country rock gave way to disco and DJs.  They were cheaper, and could give the crowd whatever they wanted to hear.  That put a pretty big crimp on local music, along with the tougher DUI laws.  Cops were always busting patrons, so they stayed home. 

The past several years there has been a resurgence in classic rock, and country.  There are a few places to play, but carnivals are the best gigs.  They still have the open mic night, but the days of the clubs with lots of dancers and the like have pretty well died off in this area.  Then there are those that like to go to Karaoke.  When they get a band behind them and get into a regimented program of singing the entire night, they often lose interest, or find out just how tough it can be to be part of an organized band.

I like watching the pros doing unplugged nights.  That's where they put away all the heavy duty electronics and actually play acoustic instruments.  Lyle Lovett doing solo work is really good.  Arlo Guthrie does a good job as a solo act.  Chris Hillman (from the Byrds and other groups) does a wonderful job as a small acoustic act.  Tom told me to see Tommy Emanuel.  I did, and he was incredible. 

The internet has allowed all sorts of home grown talent to self promote.  Some are good, and some aren't.  I've seen a few on Youtube that were pretty good.  But, I think its pretty cool that a bunch of guys from all over the world can get together and have a jam session. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Patty on February 06, 2011, 04:49:28 PM
I would love to see videos of you all performing.

Nope, no! Don't bother lining up at my door, can't strum a tune or carry a note.  ;D :D :D

Can you hear the big Gong go off? ;D

Quote from: Ianab on February 06, 2011, 02:57:24 PM
Best thing you can do to improve the quality of music? Go see the good bands, buy their music etc. Leave the dribble on the shelf.
;D :D :D

Hey man, I like to explore other music, sometimes I fetch a decent one in the lot. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

I can't play a thing or sing either but my stepson seems to be a natural at pretty much anything he tries.  In highschool he was a drummer and now at 21 he decided to learn guitar after going through a bit of a rough patch in life.  He watched a guy on the internet for a few hours-that's about how long it took.  He doesn't like to play in front of people but will for his mom and I, it's really impressive when he can just start fiddling around and say "wait that's a song" then he messes around until he gets the rest of it right, the last one I heard him do that way was the song from the movie Topgun when the guy is standing on the ship and throws his buddies dog tags over the side.  Now he wants to ride bulls, unfortunately I'm sure he'll be a natural at that too. :-\

LOGDOG

Norm you hit it on the head.  I have to say though that YouTube has helped me find and enjoy some of the "famous" talent that I was not aware of. Names like JJ Cale, Zakk Wylde, Mark Knopfler, and Tom Morello. Tom's an absolute mechanic on the guitar. I started out posting links to YouTube to some of their tunes but that was about an hour ago when I started and I got sidetracked listening to their stuff. Some of the comments in the comments section of the videos can be coarse and I wasn't sure how Jeff and the Mod's would feel about those links so I opted not to post them.

Searches for some of my favorites on YouTube would include:

JJ Cale Call me the Breeze
Zakk Wylde Farewell Ballad
Mark Knopfler Brother in Arms
Tom Morello Solos
Tom Morello Tricks

etc, etc .....

My entire family is musical on my mom's side. Everyone plays something. I used to be good at reading and even writing music when I was in school but like anything that you don't put to use you lose it. I really need to start taking guiatar lessons. I fear that if I learn though it'll be an absolute addiction. Oh well, I guess there are worse addictions right?

Can I ask what website you're using to learn and how that process has gone for you?

Ianab

Have seen Tom Morello play a couple of times at the Big Day Out festival in Auckland a few years back. (08 I think)

He played with the Nightwatchmen and Rage Against the Machine on the same day.

Very unique playing style for sure, but yeah, some of the videos might not make the "family friendly" classification, especially the Rage ones.  :-X

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Yeah that's the down side of youtube. I'm not sure why the don't police it better but then again those posting vids can do so too.

It's jamplay Logdog. You have to put the time in but it works for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hlNQPSpams

Panda's from GB, nice gal that shows what  a bit of time practicing can give you.

LOGDOG

I'm jealous Ianab.  ;D If a person can separate the message of those groups from the individual musician there's some definite talent in Tom Morello. On YouTube he talks about when he used to practice 8 hours a day. At some point he was a "nobody". Now he's recognized all over the world. I guess that was a good call not posting links to the videos.  ;)

Case in point though .... Fergi just butchered that song Sweet Child of Mine with Slash playing next to her on the Super Bowl halftime show. My personal opinion .... she shouldn't even be on the same stage as Slash. But that's just me.  :-\

Thanks Norm I'm going to check that out. Wife just told me she wants me to learn to play.  8)

LOGDOG

Norm,

What type of equipment did you choose to start with? Was there a certain sound you were looking to learn and develop?

Brucer

We have a monthly event ... the Joe Hill Coffeehouse (which fittingly enough is held in the Rossland Miner's Union Hall). Lots of amazing "amateur" talent there.

I really like to hear "mainstream" musicians playing live in small venues. Recent examples ...
- Fred Eaglesmith.
- Amos Garrett, Jim Byrnes, Doug Cox, and Steve Dawson.
- Jesse Cook.
- Bruce Cockburn.

These guys all sound good on CD but the live performances are even better. They all bring a special energy with them that you don't get in big concert halls.

Quote from: LOGDOG on February 06, 2011, 07:31:16 PM
... Names like JJ Cale, Zakk Wylde, Mark Knopfler, and Tom Morello. ...

Hmm ... Blues and Heavy Metal. Pretty compatible, actually  :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Coon

Well now that you've got me started with the jam tunes I thought I had better add one that a couple of my friends put together.   ;D Justin can sure make that guitar sing.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggLTnljt08&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Norm

Logdog I play electric guitar and originally went for the classic rock genre. Bought a stratocaster and cheap amp to begin with just to see if I'd stick with it. Well since then I've added equipment and guitars and genre's.

If you tell me what style of music you're interested in I can give some better advice on what to start with.

LOGDOG

Awesome Norm. I checked out that JamPlay site last night. It's extensive for sure. It's actually really humbling to see such a gap  between the talent I want to have and the talent I actually have. Ever feel that way?

Sounds that resonate with me can be found in Eric Claptons style. Love the sound his guitars make. Same with Zakk Wylde. He gets tones and sounds out of his guitar that just seem to "find" my eardrum if that makes sense. Mark Knopfler too ... the way some of these guys bend those strings ... it really seems to add to the "emotion" of the music. I definitely favor the blues and rock. A song that comes to mind is called "Same Old Blues" I think. Clapton plays it on YouTube. Do those tidbits give you an idea of the sounds? I could post links to the videos with time markers where the particular riffs are being played.

After being able to watch so many musicians on sites like YouTube and JamPlay, I've noticed that even though the music often seems to be going wild with sounds dashing here and there, the musicians themselves are most often very controlled and there hands may be moving very little. I guess that's where the amps and pedals are working for them? Don't get me wrong, sometimes their hands are working overtime. Last night I was watching a young guy giving a lesson on the electric guitar on JamPlay. He was doing these stretches. He had long skinny fingers. I could tell that I was going to have to strengthen my pinky fingers and probably be ready for some aches along the way.

LOGDOG

Here's a clip of JJ Cale and Eric Clapton. I like the sound of JJ's guitar and dig Clapton's solo starting at about 2:06 in the clip and you can hear his guitar singing again at 3:39-3:44. Love that sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8uk7vlk0sE

Here's another one, same concert. Starting at 2:48 to about 3:20.  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Tiqv4Irjs&feature=related

Can't tell you how many times I've listened to those riffs.

LOGDOG

And this sound from Mark Knopfler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVVZPefbR4

He seems to have such control and clarity. Love that. Not overly busy ... the guitar just sings. That song has a ton of emotion in it because of the nature of the song itself, add to it the orchestra backup. It's almost like the guitar is expressing the pain of him losing his brother. It goes right through me.

Love this one too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJzlIedCuo&feature=related

pineywoods

Anybody fool with a hammered dulcimer? I built one a while back, can't seem to play the thing, but I love the sound. When I hear Alicia Jones beat up on one, I get discourged and then want to keep trying...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Norm

There's a couple of guys and an instructor that play those on the site Wayne. Neat sounding instrument.

For what you want to play logdog a stratocaster would work quite well. I'd watch craigslist for one as many folks get them over Christmas and soon lose interest. For an amp this one is getting good reviews for a starter amp. Fender Mustang I. The next one up called the Fender Mustang II also gets great reviews but is more money.

On the strat I'd buy a made in the USA if your budget can afford it. You should be able to buy one for 6-700 used. If that's above it the MIM ones aren't too bad as long as they are properly set up.

Clapton is a Fender guy and Mark Knopfler plays one too. I have one set up for playing SRV music and really enjoy playing it.

As for talent to play one I came to the conclusion quite quickly that I'll never sound like either of those guys. The amount of time put into playing guitar can be quite large. But so what, I'm having a great time getting close. Yes the electric guitar is very hard to play and years to master. I'm 2 years into it and consider myself to be a beginner.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Planman1954

Hello All:

Here's a recording of a song I wrote after 9/11 called "We Stand United." The recording was done live by a guy on a portable 8 track I think about 9 years ago. Kim Hill Dewitt is the vocalist, and I'm on the piano. Hope you like it.

https://forestryforum.com/media/track13.wma
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Patty

Your song is beautiful!  8)   I would love to see & listen to you all in person. Do you write alot of music?
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Very nice planman, thank you for sharing.

You know it's been almost 10 years ago but I still get very emotional on that subject.

Thank You Sponsors!