iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

THE BEST UTILITY KNIFE EVER!!!

Started by ASUDesign, February 05, 2011, 07:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASUDesign

Hello, I'm a junior level design student at Appalachian State University, we are currently working on designing trade specific folding lock back knives for an Irwin sponsored project and i really would appreciate your insights on what the professional tradesman needs. Below I've posted a small questionnaire please answer as honestly as possible:

1) What do you specialize in? (i.e. rough-framing, finish carpentry etc.) List as many as apply.

2) How long have you been in your trade?

3) How much cross over do you have between trades?

4) What kind of utility knife do you use the most?

5) What do like most and least about you current utility knife?

6) What do you look for most in a utility knife?

7) How important is price when purchasing utility knife?

8 ) What type of utility knife do you prefer the most? (Fixed blade, retractable, or folding, etc) Why?

9) How many utility knives do you own?

10) How often do you purchase utility knives?

11) Rate how essential the utility knife is in your trade? (1 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 )

12) What other similar tools do you use?

13) How do you use your utility knife while working in your trade (What specifically are you cutting and what techniques are you using as a framer specifically)?

14) How often do you use your utility knife outside of your trade (at home or in another trade such a plumbing)?

Feel Free to ad any other comments about your process and your experience with utility knives.
Thanks for your time.

Brad_bb

Hmm, I want to help.  I do timberframing as a hobby, not my job. I also do other wood working, but again, not as my job. Should I answer the survey?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shinnlinger

Oh what the hey....

1) I am a woodshop teacher/chicken Farmer/occasional builder

2) 15+ years

3) lots of crossover

4) whichever one I can find when I need it

5) I have some fancy locking blade stanleys that are comfortable to use

6) locking blade

7) While I have spent more (see #5) I like knives under $5 in multi packs(see #4) 

8 ) locking retractable as they stay out when wanted but not as dangerous as a fixed blade

9) 10+

10) every year or so if I find them on sale

11) 3

12) Gerber pocket tool

13) sharpening pencils, removing romex, scoring drywall, scoring timbers, severing cartroid ateries

14) weekly

hope that helps...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brad_bb

1) Timber framing
2)4yrs
3)?
4)STanley Fat max, fixed blade, quick change no tool needed for blade change.
5)Blade is rigidly fixed and doesn't move., no tool needed for blade change.  I carry it in a leather belt holster.
6)Sharp, razor point, no play.
7)Important, it's a simple tool and 9-$15 is what I expect to pay for a fixed blade.
8)See 5
9)5
10)once per year
11)10
12)Cheap folding stainless blade pocket knife
13)Scribing cut lines, pencil sharpening
14)weekly
I prefer a fixed blade.  When lining your layout work on a timber, you want a fixed blade to reduce error.  This necessitates a holster.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Aikenback

hi, skipping the survey on utility knives, while we have your attention, i would like to see a high quality marking/scoring knife that retracts and is lockable in both positions. it would protect the blade and allow you to put it in your pouch or pocket. sorry im too lazy to take the survey, (or use capitols, appostrophies etc.)
no whining.

SwampDonkey

I don't see the point of reinventing the wheel. I use one on occasion to strip wires and once to cut counter top. I have a Stanley and a new set of blades that will probably do me for 25 years. :D

I use a carver's knife to sharpen my pencils. A pencil sure seems to get dull quick when marking wood. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ljmathias

I've found the perfect utility knife but can't recall the name and it's out in the barn.  I hate the folding kind- one hand is usually holding something when I want to use it- pull it from my workbelt, slide it forward and cut, then slide it back and put it back in it's holder.  Key thing is this: to swap blade ends, push the orange button on the side, pull the blade out, turn it around and slide it back in.  If both ends are worn, just pull it out and throw it away, slide the slide back in and forward again and bang! New blade is automatically installed from the flip-open holder in the side of the handle.  Handiest thing since sliced bread-  8) 8)  I like it so much, I went back and bought a handful of them; got them everywhere now, all the barns, both (working) trucks and in the house mud room.  I HATE getting out a utility knife only to find both ends of the installed blade are dull, and I have to unscrew a slotted screw to open it up only to find I've used up all the spares: argh!!!

Yeah, so again, why reinvent the wheel?  Work on a different tool that we need innovative updates on, like a screwdriver with multiple tips in the handle that can't fall out or get lost. I've never found one of those that is actually usable... ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ljmathias

Duh!  Had a senior moment there- after I posted that and realized I'd said it was out in the barn AND in the mud room... well, the one in the mud room is a Husky and I only found them at Home Departed...  not cheap but I don't ever expect to buy more unless I misplace the ones I have, which is why I always buy several of anything that I find really works as a tool.... which is why I have half a dozen 18V Dewalt impact drivers and drills... plus circ and cip saws and best of all, a battery powered large-size glue gun that I use for framing and roofing: I can hold on with one hand and squeeze the trigger to put a bead of glue on every rafter without constantly pumping the trigger... forgot the brandname on that one (argh!) and it's out in the barn... ??? ::)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dave Shepard

SD, you need to get some Dixon Hard carpenters pencils. If you put a nice edge on them, they will mark, and score pine timbers in one go. :D

I use a small Stanley knife that slides out with the right thumb. It has a little spring loaded clip to hold the blade, so no tools needed. Fits in the toolbelt nicely.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

School kid pencils are cheaper by the 30 or so package and I use them on hardwood, rarely pine. Birch, cherry and ash don't have much give to graphite. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

Every time I front up to the Hardware counter there seems to be a new utility knife, I've got a modern ergonomic Stanley.

I find a 3 blade Old Timer fold out knife does everything I need, I use them from castrating calves to peeling oranges to stripping wires, cutting bailing twine, feed bags, taking the back straps of a deer, cutting a splinter out reasonable carbon content makes sharpening easy, expensive but can't beat em. I just hope Old Timer/Shrade don't see the need to incorporate a torch or laser guide in their knives too soon. ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thehardway

1) Computer cabling, rustic timber products and timberframing, fishing plumbing, drywall, electrical, painting

2) 15 yrs.?

3) Lots of crossover.

4) Stanley retactable blade utility knife?

5) retraction button is in the wrong place and does not securly lock allowing knif to retract will cutting or com out while in storage and the point of blades break too easily

6) Heavy duty construction.

7) Should be under $10.00 as I loose too many

8 )  retractable.  Often put it in my back pocket to avoid misplacing

9) 5

10) once a year

11) 3

12) Cable strippers (5 diferent kinds), wire cutters, scribes, paint scrapers pocket knife chisels, window scrapers.

13) opening boxes, cutting wire, cutting wood, paper, foam, plactics, flesh, rope, string, caulking. scraping.

14) very often

All utility knives should be made so they are brightly colored and visible to avoid overlooking.  They should all have knurled bodies to avoid them slipping when used with wet or slimy slippery hands.  They should have blades interchangeable with other tools such as cable cutters/strippers/paint scrapers etc.
They should have a device built in for puncturing seals such as in cauling guns an sealant tubes. Retractabilityy should only occur by intention. No plastic should be present in construction. screwdriver should not be neccessary for balde change. A built in sharpener for blades and pencils would be handy.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

DanG

Quote from: WildDog on February 07, 2011, 02:56:24 AM
I find a 3 blade Old Timer fold out knife does everything I need, I use them from castrating calves to peeling oranges to stripping wires, cutting bailing twine, feed bags, taking the back straps of a deer, cutting a splinter out

And the best thing about those knives is that you don't have to wash them. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WildDog

QuoteAnd the best thing about those knives is that you don't have to wash them.

And I get the whole orange to myselff..no one seems to want any ???
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SwampDonkey

Sounds about like an old 3 legged dog describing this. :D :D ;D

Raider Bill

This is the one I use. I love it! Feels nice in my hand, takes a cartridge so when a blade goes dull you just turn to the next one. Cartridge is reversible so you can use both sides. Has a neat holster that I clip on my apron or belt.
It's 15 years old.
I've remodeled several houses and apartments and built the Tenn  house using it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

shinnlinger

Bill,

I have never seen one of those before, but I am most impressed that you still have it after 15 years!!!

Dave
Shinnlinger

Raider Bill

I'm generally pretty good with my tools. I also don't use it to make a living nor do I use one as much as many here.
The problem is finding reloads. When I do I buy a bunch.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Raphael

I've got one somewhat beefy one made by Exacto that I've had for about 25-30 years, it's retractable with finger grooves in the handle.  The blade has never slipped on me the way some retractable Stanleys do and it feels really comfortable and secure in my slightly over sized meat hooks.  :D

I've used and abused it for everything from trimming flash off of plastic models to gouging holes through hardwoods  ::)  It spent a lot of time in the dirt when my primary occupation was landscaping and has cut a lot of drywall since I started finishing my house.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ASUDesign

Great stuff gentlemen, all your input has been a great help thus far and were really starting the grasp some of the issues you guys have with your knives and your preferences.  Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week in the studio. As a general question what about folding knives don't you like and how does blade storage impact your knife selection?  Also,  could you expand upon why you enjoy your current knife as opposed to other knives?  Thanks for all the help

Holmes

What I do not like about folding knives is how blade storage impacts on a finger when the knife collapses under pressure. This usually happens when the knife is very sharp.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

Raphael

Quote from: Holmes on February 10, 2011, 10:20:57 PM
What I do not like about folding knives is how blade storage impacts on a finger when the knife collapses under pressure. This usually happens when the knife is very sharp.  Holmes

Indeed, a really secure blade lock on a folding knife is a necessity!
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ljmathias

Folding knives are fine for a pocket knife with several blades, but a utility knife only has one and it only does when thing- cut something.  Being able to draw it from my utility belt with one hand, push out the blade with my thumb, cut what's needed to be cut, slide the blade back in and re-holster is fast and easy.  Again, replacing the blade used to be a pain but with the new button-push blade changers, easy and fast...  just my opinion.

Lj

shinnlinger

I feel fat max knives have addressed the typical issues with retractable knives by allowing the user to lock the blade securely.  Their model is not super easy for the lock or blade changes though so perhaps a folding unit is a better option and I will check out the Irwin model when I next see one.

While blade storage is a nice thing to have, It is not a critical feature for me.  If the knife was all that and a ball of wax w/out storage I would still consider it.
Shinnlinger

RockyMountainSawyer

I used to carry expensive clip knives, but they seemed to walk off when i wasn't looking. So i switched to the $20 clip knives, and got tired of never having a sharp enough blade. So i bought on of those black and blue sheffield with the pocket clip and blade compartment, really liked it because i always had a sharp blade til the clip fell off. Now i have a turbo knife. I love it, it is thin and ergonomical. The clip is fixed to the body of the knife. It is light, I think it is alluminum(won't own a plastic tool). And it carries like six or nine extra blades which are standard blades i can buy anywhere. Just take the turboknife and paint it blue and yellow and you will sell the heck out of them. I like my irwin tools so i would buy it. For less than $10 of course
Homemade Mobile Circle Mill, case 830 w/loader, 2-ton dodge w/ skyhook, 3/4 ton chevy duramax flatbed, stihl 460 magnum, and a brand new beautiful baby girl!

Thank You Sponsors!