iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Wack O Logs and a couple of mill pics

Started by Meadows Miller, February 05, 2011, 02:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Well with having nothing but dramas with getting a contractor in Victoria to supply what we need to build log homes with for the last 9 months  :) ??? ::)  We have a new log supplier for House Logs and what ever other logs we need Including Sawlog on an ongoing basis  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Whiteheads Timber Sales and Forestry SA in Mount Gambier in South Australia  ;)  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

I contacted Darryl Whitehead Our family's have known each over since the early 80s and have done business in the past to see weather they could supply 11to12" 12', 16', 18' and 20'  House logs on a constant basis to run through Our Woodlandia LL41 Log lathe and Round Master Notching Line  ;) ;D   We got the reply that would be no problem with sorting hose logs out on their scaner and debarker line for us  as they mill about 68000bft of pine these days  ;) he also got back to us the next day to say Forestry SA was keen to supply logs to us and wanted us to commit to a min volume  :)  ;D So we went over for a Meeting with Darryl yesterday to go over grading and to have a good talk about things in general We left at 6am and drove the 280mi in 5 hrs and spent about 5 hrs talking then came home last night  ;) something has to be said about Old School Connections  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Heres some pics Im sorry I did not get more of the mill camera went flat  :o :( >:(   As its a pretty impressive setup Two break down lines one Linck Chipper canter and  a Cooper sgragg with an autopos scaning edger and brewer bull rip are the machines in the mill shed with an Grey one man bench for recovery and to boost production when needed an 1990 Meadows #2 deluxe out in the yard sawing cants and wing boards  that are fed into the Grey for re sawing  ;) they are also installing an Newens trim and 20 pocket sorter with an auto stacker  ;)

The mill form the outside with the debarker and sorter

The Infeed of the Linck Chpping canter with Twin saws it also has quad saw capacity thats Me in the pic talking to Darryl  beside me about the mill layout you can also see the second log feed and infeed deck to the Cooper Scragg and resaw line which was their original mill back in 93 before that they had always been portable sawmillers with a couple of small mills working across 3 states Vic, NSW & SA Before they put the cooper and brewer in back then  ;)

Hers Darryl and I going over grade requirements and measurements with Mum supervising  ;)  

and afew pics of the log yard  

I hope you All like it I know I Had A bloody good Day  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8)

Ill also say any town that has a Picture of a Harvester in a Pine Plantation on their Big Welcome Signs is a town heading in the rite direction Mt Gambier is the only one I have seen so far  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

weisyboy

looks like a nice setup,

its always a good idea to hang onto those business cards and phone numbers, never know when you might need them.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

customsawyer

That is a nice looking set up thanks for taking the time to show it to us.
Is all those logs debarked or is that the way there bark looks?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I don't think that I have ever seen a cleaner and neater operation.  Thanks for giving us a peek.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sgschwend

Nice show, thanks, Blue sky we don't get a lot of that here.

What is there normal product?  Air dryer?  Hog fuel boiler?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

clww

Looks as if those folks are total professionals there! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

backwoods sawyer

Sometimes changing your log supplier can be a good thing.
Having a debarker ahead of the sawmill can sure extend the life of the saws, looks to be along the same capacity as a Nicholson A-8 with multiple sort bins. Having a paved surface for the barked logs to be decked, keeps them clean. Looks to be a right nice little set up.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Meadows Miller

Gday

No Worries Im glad you like them  ;) ;D

Carl it is handy I though about contacting them earlier but most sawmiller's like to keep a hold of whatever logs they can get hold of these daysso I though I would not bother them untill we realy needed logs  Mate  ;) :D but its worked out well  ;D 8)  as its just been too bloody wet for the blokes in Victoria plus the fact that they are tied to contracts so they are all playing catch up atm :(  

SA is pretty good as most of the plantation country over there is on sandy loam which drains well so they don't have too many dramas even during winter  ;)

Jake the ones with no bark at all have been put through the debarker and sorted for dia range and grade then stacked aside in rows so when they run the mill its all on one spec log the two rows in the bottom pic are logs for the linck line and the pic above with the logs staged with one end on top of the skid log are set up to be re docked into shorter lengths due to sweep which improves recovery  ;) ;D The Pic in which Darryl and I are at each end of the log pile are how most machine harvested logs look when they are delivered to the mill Mate  ;)

Magic They Run a Very Tidy Show  over there !! :) ;) ;D the whole yard covers about  40+ acres with sealed yards and roads  which is choc a block with timber yard  sheds kilns ect ect  post and treatment plant with neat stacks of timber either gos,air drying or treated everywhere  ;)

Steve usual target products are Radiata Pine in anything you would like to order  ;)they also now have 3 or 4 timber yards in Victoria so alot of their production is geared to supply their own yards with Diy treated timber  like Building sections ,decking,fencing and landscape timber but they also wholesale alot of timber and pallet grade material too Mate  ;)

Cllw They are Total Professional's I do not think you could find better people to deal with in this game   ;) ;D ;D 8) they are also very down to earth people to talk to we talked a fair bit about milling and mill size and he asked what I was upto with our mills atm and I replied not alot these days   :-\  :( One funny thing that came up was Dad said well I reckon Christopher would like a mill like yours one day  ;) :D and  Darryl said well some days I would not mind having a little mill like yours again ;) :D :D ;D Both sides of the coin have their own set of problems to deal with that is for sure   ;) :)  ;D

BW Yeah it extends saw and knife run times out of site along with providing clean -1% bark content screened chips for either paper or partical board production alot of softwood mills here export their chips through one of two ports in Victoria if their is excess supply ;) The Debarker is a VK 800 So it will cope with anything upto about a  30-32" dia log at up to about 200' odd feet a min if it is an high speed model they have Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

Autocar

:D Yep the blue sky is the first thing I noticed also, sure looks like a nice set up. Good luck and it would be interesting to see a picture of one of those log homes  ;D
Bill

Meadows Miller

Auto Yeah we left here  and it was overcast as we where just getting the tail end of the first cyclone that hit QLD  and we coped it about half way home we got 5" in 48hrs here at home over fri/sat and we still have the reminants of YUSI coming our way in about a week which is going to be even heavier :) :)

We have a couple of kits to do for a start but the log issue has held things up but it will be full steam ahead as the loads to do this first place will be hear on thrus/friday we have two rounds up already and it should take about 4 weeks to get the logwork done this place is 1800sqft ill do some pics when we are under way for you Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Thank You Sponsors!