iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5.9 cummings preheater switch unhooked

Started by muellerlogging, February 04, 2011, 06:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muellerlogging

just bought the 490 prentice and the preheater switch is unhooked. it is a 5.9 cummings, should i just wire a new one in cause the wires r all gone to the old one. 

snowstorm

is the relay there??how much is missing? would think it would have one maybe like a ford starter selionoid switch to big cable from batt thru selionoid to grid heater. a little toggle switch with 14ga wire batt to heater will not work.......well it mite for a min till it catachs fire

DanG

It might depend on where you are. ???  The pre-heater on my ol' '93 Dodge truck started killing the battery, so I just disconnected the whole mess.  Of course, I'm in Florida.  If you're up in the cold country, you may really need it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

muellerlogging

the relay is still there. they just unhooked everthing to the switch. i imagine there is a reason for that. maybe i would be better off to put in one of those webasto diesel heaters. i have never messed with them before. anyone have any advice on these?

snowstorm

a can of 'happy gas' either is the cheapest. think youll find a fuel fired heater is close to a grand. how cold dose it get where you are? i have a 4cyl. cummins in a valmet it will start down to zero without either. it dosent have a either injector on it? mine dose

muellerlogging

we dont go in the woods if it gets to far below 0. r one 5.9 cummings we have starts perfect and the one in the prentice is starting hard i better check my fuel filters.

snowstorm

the grid heater manifold heater whatever you wanta call it. it heats the air going into the engine. fools it into thinking its warm out. my cat excavator has one works well

Thank You Sponsors!