iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Purlins

Started by mmhailey, February 04, 2011, 06:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

I've been working this week on cutting my 16 Purlins. They are 4X8 cut down to 5" where they join the rafter. I searched all over for some guidance on how to cut these, and got some good advice from the forum, and some emails. Having never used an Adze so I was a bit hesitant.

I'll post a few pics here, but I uploaded quite a few more to my Blog.

http://16x24kingpostcabin.blogspot.com/2011/02/cutting-curve-of-purlin.html

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this better, or easier please let me know. I have 12 more to go!

After I get the curve fairly smooth, I finished with my belt sander with 60 grit.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jim_Rogers

The way we were taught was to do exactly what you have done.

After all the relief cuts we used an axe to chop away the bulk of the wood.

Then an adze to shape it.

After a draw knife to remove the adze marks and further shape the curve cut.

Finish with a spoke shave and we never used a belt sander as we were only using hand tools.

Other than that you have it correct.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I would rough out with an axe, adze close to the line and finish with the spoke shave. I've also done the entire sweep just with a framing chisel, bevel down. An adze is never swung like an axe. You grab the top of the handle with one hand, and hold that hand against your upper thigh or hip, whatever is comfortable, and you swing with the other hand. This way, you are much less likely to have an errant swing take out anything important, like your ankle. That looks like a very nice adze. I've never seen one quite like that before.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mmhailey

Thanks for the comments.  I definitely do not swing this Adze around my ankles. I do much like you spoke of. I stand beside the timber while it is on the cribbing.  I don't know much if anything about the Adze, as I bought it on Ebay a few years back. I have worked on it a lot, and is holding an edge now quite well.

I currently do not have a spokeshave. I do have a drawknife, but it doesn't really work that well for me.

I timed myself this afternoon, and from first touching the beam to decide the layout it took me 1 hour to completion. So only 11 more hours to go :-)...  I have nothing but time anyway, so who cares.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jim_Rogers

We usually put the timber on the ground and stand over it with both feet apart and the timber in the middle.
Bending over slightly to make the adze swing at the right height.

I put the end of the handle at the point where my right leg meets my body and hold it there so that the adze kind of swings line a pendulum. With my left hand I guide the adze to the stock.

I don't actually chop with it, I kind of direct it to fall under it's own weight, and hit the wood were I want it do.

I work one side of the timber but just chopping a very little bit of the wood with the edge of the adze. Something like 1/4" wide. Then when that line is done, I move over about the same amount. The less you try and chop with the adze the easier it goes and even faster.
When you move over the line you've already cut acts as a guide for the bottom side of the adze to follow.

I should do a video of this.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

frwinks

hi mmhailey,
How long is the handle on the adze?  Mine started out as a 36", after many, many hours of use, and recommendation from my tf teacher, I'm down to 16" and loving it.  The adze became a somewhat rough/finishing tool :o  Yup, no drawnifes, no spokeshaves, no sandpaper, just straight adzing from start to finish...it's one of my favourite tools to use and not just for curves. 
I would suggest chopping the handle stubbie from the "outside" face of the adze and let the adze dictate the curve of your reductions...after a few you'll get the hang of it I'm sure.  If the adze is nicely tuned, it'll cut wood like butter and leave a slick looking finish, saving a few finishing steps for ya ;)

mmhailey

I like the shorter handle idea.  After the pic I took of the Adze I cut the handle down so it seated nicely, and didn't have any handle sticking out of the top. That helped a lot following the curve of the Adze per your suggestion.

I have an extra handle laying around somewhere, and I think I'll trim it down like your pic, and give it a try.

What are the timbers in your pic for? A boat maybe?

Thanks

Dave Shepard

I think they are braces for a cruck frame.

The adze I am using now had a long straight handle. I chopped about a foot off of it. I think it was originally a railroad adze. Maybe for seating plates for ties? It has B&M RR stamped in it. I have another Something&Something RR adze that needs to go to the forge for some remedial unsmushing. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

frwinks

sound like you're all set mm...we have four matching braces like that holding up two main ridges, but a TFboat could be next on the list of project :)

I have another long handled adze stamped DEVIL.... :o that one stays in the barn most of the time and only gets used while wearing shin protectors...:D

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Dave Shepard

Yes, that looks like it. I think my other RR adze is a "Hawk Devil".

B&M RR:

Thank You Sponsors!