iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for ideals

Started by ARKANSAWYER, February 04, 2011, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

This is a spalted hardmaple top that is about 4' long and about 18 inches wide and up to 5 inches thick.  I have it rough sanded but not sure what to do for a base.  I have sit it on a stump, slabs and thought about putting limbs in it for legs.  Nothing turned me on.  Any suggestions or just sell the top?
ARKANSAWYER

metalspinner

Arky,

In a book I recently purchased, the fella used "rough" slabs like yours and used "finished" legs and a back to make a seating bench.  The juxtaposition of materials was really neat.

Turned or octaganal legs of walnut (10/4?) would look really good with that.  Set the legs like you do on your cedar benches. A bent back rest set on spindles will finish it off. :)

There are several pieces like yours in my stash that will end up as I've described.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

jim king

It would make a great book matched coffe table with contrasting butterfly connectors on a nice cyprus base.

ARKANSAWYER

I worked this spalted pecan out today and now I have to come up with another bottom.  I will be glad when this snow stopps and it warms up and I can work some and make a little coin.
ARKANSAWYER

low_48

Thank You Sponsors!