iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new guy - introduction

Started by SandpointSawmill, February 04, 2011, 01:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandpointSawmill

I have benefitted from reading the boards for quite a few months, and I have finally decided to register.  My brother and I own a 2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 hydraulic with the 28 horse gas engine and a 2010 Wood-Mizer LT15 with the 15 horse gas engine.

We have been sawing lumber for several years for our own homes and personal projects and have done several projects for customers - mainly bringing logs to our own places for sawing or sawing our own logs and selling leftovers from jobs.  This year, we have decided to begin advertising and run the portable sawmill at customer sites.  I created a website  for our business, www.SandpointSawmill.com.  I will refine it over time and personalize it.  

We are in the panhandle of North Idaho, about 60 miles south of the Canadian border and mainly mill birch as our only hardwood.  Lots of Doug Fir, Grand Fir, Larch, Aspen and many different varieties of pine.

Historically, we have both done some timberframing, and I have a general contractor license and do pretty much everything in residential construction.

Nice to finally register and introduce myself.
Scott
www.SandpointSawmill.com

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, 2010 Wood-Mizer LT15G15

redbeard

Welcome Sandpoint sounds like you guys have been busy, What do you guys sell your Birch for? I like using the Gran fir for structure projects.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

SandpointSawmill

Thanks redbeard.

We use the birch mainly for flooring.  We have also used it for cabinets and stair railing.  To dry it requires cinching it with straps and retightening the straps occasionally.  It also greatly benefits from resawing - back on the Wood-Mizer.  Doing this yields perfect flooring - very pretty.

I have some pictures of the birch as flooring.  We produced the cabinets in the picture from Aspen, dried and resawn, and the stair railing in the background is also birch.  Actually, every piece of wood you see in these pictures we produced on our sawmills.  The ceiling and walls are all kinds of pine varieties as well as Western Larch.

I, too, love Grand Fir for structural beams and posts.  very stable.

Scott
www.SandpointSawmill.com

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Sandpoint!

Sounds like you guys have a good setup!

Nice looking wood-work!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Welcome Scott, do you guys sharpen and set your bands or ship-em out?Some fine looking woodwork.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Glad to have you Scott, welcome.  Impressive woodworking.  Nice website too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jdtuttle

Welcome Sandpointsawmill. I have a friend that lives at Bonners Ferry, Wayne Ronek. I'm coming out this fall for an elk hunt.
You have a nice set-up & great skills.
jim
Have a great day

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome Sandpoint,  what beautiful country you have, i'm jealous. Nice web site and woodworking.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Burlkraft

Welcome Scott

Nice lookin' work there  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pnyberg

Welcome Scott.  Did we talk on the phone?

I like your website.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

I'm curious about the strategy of having both the LT40 and LT15.  Is the smaller mill used to mill longer logs?

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

Welcome Scott.  It sounds like the Forestry Forum scored when you decided to join.  Your experiences and talents will be interesting to share.  I enjoyed looking at your pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!   8)

Looks like you've got a lot to bring to the table.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

oldaxman

Nice website.I live nextdoor to you in Chewelah and plan on doing sort of the same thing after I finish my own projects. I'll show my wife your site as a good example for her project. We won't compete, the Flowery Trail pass will be a good dividing line. :D I destroyed a set of brakes going over that once pulling my tractor with my sawmill in the pickup, lesson learned. Actually I am in Sandpoint right now remodeling a house we have had as a rental many years hoping to sell it in this market. Wish me luck huh. :-\ I wish you well in your business, these are tough times.

ely

welcome to the FF, very good looking work in the pics.

Wintergreen Mountain

Welcome to the FF.

The kitchen looks so Nice, I wouldn't think of useing it, For Fear Of Soilling It.

Leon.       :)  :)   :)
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Bill Gaiche

SandpointSawmill, welcome. Great photos. That wood really makes a statement.It also makes a home feel cozy and warm. bg

Don K

Welcome to the forum, sandpoint. Beautiful woodworking.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

gizmodust

Welcome to the forum, Sandpoint.  Sounds like you've got a lot to share.  We're the lucky ones.  Great looking work.  Look to hear more of your experiences.  (And more pics :o :o ;D)
Always liked wood with alot of character

SandpointSawmill

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 04, 2011, 05:58:52 AM
Welcome Scott, do you guys sharpen and set your bands or ship-em out?Some fine looking woodwork.Frank C.

Hi Frank - we use Wood-Mizer's Resharp Services.

Quote from: jdtuttle on February 04, 2011, 06:41:04 AM
Welcome Sandpointsawmill. I have a friend that lives at Bonners Ferry, Wayne Ronek. I'm coming out this fall for an elk hunt.
You have a nice set-up & great skills.
jim

I got a nice 5 point elk this past season practically right outside my door.  We don't usually have them right outside my door, but the Lord decided to bless.  The elk was eating all of the neighbor's apple trees, so I call it apple fed elk every time I eat it.

Quote from: pnyberg on February 04, 2011, 07:25:41 AM
Welcome Scott.  Did we talk on the phone?

I like your website.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  :)

I'm curious about the strategy of having both the LT40 and LT15.  Is the smaller mill used to mill longer logs?

--Peter

Peter - yes, I am the same guy you talked to.  I will customize my web site soon, but to get one up quickly - with yours - you made it too easy.  I hope you don't mind the loan of data for now.  You have a good web site.

My brother bought the LT40 years ago, and I added the LT15 at my place to have a sawmill available here when the LT40 is elsewhere.  We live next to 1600 acres of timberland, and I have deeded access to standing dead and deadfall.  Therefore, I get quite a few trees coming across the place.  I usually mill them, air dry them, and then sell certain pieces via craig's list.

Thanks for all of the compliments everyone.  Since you all like pictures, I'll share these of the timber frame barn I built on my place 18 months ago.  A lot of the lumber was milled on the LT40, and some of it is cirular sawn from dead Doug Fir milled not too far away in Montana at Specialty Beam.  Jim Nash is the owner of that business and runs a big 5 foot blade on a million dollar mill - or something like that:

On the exterior, the fascia is Western Hemlock, and some of the siding and all of the trim is Western Red Cedar that we milled on the LT40.

On the interior, we used Doug Fir for the structural members, western Hemlock for the 2x studs that are nailers for the metal siding, and the loft is Wester White Pine:

Scott
www.SandpointSawmill.com

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

SandpointSawmill

Quote from: oldaxman on February 04, 2011, 08:43:10 AM
Nice website.I live nextdoor to you in Chewelah and plan on doing sort of the same thing after I finish my own projects. I'll show my wife your site as a good example for her project. We won't compete, the Flowery Trail pass will be a good dividing line. :D I destroyed a set of brakes going over that once pulling my tractor with my sawmill in the pickup, lesson learned. Actually I am in Sandpoint right now remodeling a house we have had as a rental many years hoping to sell it in this market. Wish me luck huh. :-\ I wish you well in your business, these are tough times.

Wow, in Sandpoint now, huh?  Excellent.  I hope you do sell the house.  I suppose it all depends on asking price.  I haven't looked at prices lately, but it seems that in-town it is still possible to get a house sold.

Is your wife developing a web site for you?
Scott
www.SandpointSawmill.com

Magicman

Nice barn also, and that is an understatement.   :) 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Hey, welcome Scott.

One of these days I'm going to have to get a passport and take a day trip down through NE Washington and Northern Idaho. Problem is, then I'll want to swing by some of the members in Oregon, and maybe over to Montana, and then ... well it'll turn into a "week trip"  :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

oldaxman

Yes my wifes going to do the site for me when I get to that point in life, couple years I hope. Building my house right now and barn and shop and............ . Then I want to supplement my retirement with my mill. Your sites very informative and to the point, I'll tell her not to plagerize it to bad. :D She is a puter nerd at coldlwater, shes the brains I'm the brawns, at least I used to be when I was younger. Now I just kinda stumble along hunched over and limping :D By the way, all those cool clearcuts you can see in the cabinets mountains from town and the lake, I was proud to be a part of. Ahhh the good ole days.

ljmathias

Please, no more pictures!  I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, bemoaning the sorry state of "clean" in my barns and sawmill shed, and the more I think about how clean and neat and .... I can't go on. :'( :'(

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jasperfield

I'm happy that you've decided to become a member. Talent is welcome.

moonshiner

Welcome ,Great work I love the floor.

KyTreeFarmer

Another welcome!! I love your barn, great work.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Just Me

Very Nice work! Love that barn!

I don't know how some of you guys find time to work on your own stuff. Always seems I am last on my list. I'm always short on either money or time.......

Larry

dovetails

Quote from: Just Me on February 06, 2011, 08:28:28 AM
Very Nice work! Love that barn!

I don't know how some of you guys find time to work on your own stuff. Always seems I am last on my list. I'm always short on either money or time.......

Larry

Just to let you know, YOUR NOT ALONE!!!!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Thank You Sponsors!