iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too dang cold!

Started by texican, February 04, 2011, 12:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texican

It's been in the teens for the last three days... finally got caught up with work, and couldn't stand being cooped up any longer, so figured I'd spend the afternoon cutting down some of my personal logs that are piling up.  {Relatives are already asking when they can bring trailerloads of logs down...}  I knew the 50hp tractor would have to be jumped off to crank... no biggie.  Cranked her up, raised the bucket, and the steering system was froze solid.  Let the tractor idle for ten minutes, and no movement at all...  Had a good four hours of cutting time available, and couldn't get started because my red mule wouldn't turn.

My next mini project is to build a loading deck, so I can load up four or five logs and not have to worry about whether the tractors going to be feeling poorly.

Of course, as soon as I get it built, the cold weather'll be gone.  ::)

I love it cold... was working on an outbuilding this morning, in just a shirt, and was sweating... figured I might as well do something I wanted to do, instead of a 'honey do' project.  Once she saw the tractor not moving, I was corralled back into her kennel building project...

Will visit the local tractor mechanic in the morning that specializes in Hesston's and see if we can figure this out.  Really need to pull some logs out of the woods while the ground's frozen.  First time my tractor's steerings been froze solid.

Rather not have to buy another loader...

bandmiller2

Tex,my neighbor used to have a kubota that the steering box would freeze.Problem was condensation a small amount of water would freeze and lock the bottom bearing.Water was below the drain plug,I put a small amount of gas line antifreeze in with the oil kept it from locking up,mayby not the best fix but it worked. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

What are you guys using for steering fluid? water?  :D

Try run'n tractors and equipment in -20.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

paul case

i agree its too cold.
i have had to do some work, not sawing, out in the cold since tuesday. our highs have been as low as 12 and lows of -10 to -15.our normal for this time of the year is 26, 45.
my trucks hydraulic bale bed dont want to go at all when it gets that cold. the hy tran fluid recomended for it comes out of a bucket about like well  molasses in january. but it eventually warms up enough to go and we have used it extensively the last few days along with 1 tractor. with 20'' of snow if one of them wont go the other will.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

red oaks lumber

no worries paul, there is still enough cold for eveyone. 12 deg high up here is a real nice day, the bright side the bugs arn't much of a problem. hang in there this to shall pass......
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

texican

When it thaws out, I'll look into getting some gas line antifreeze.

It snowed around 4" overnight, and you'd'a thought the world was ending.  Radio this morning had all the schools closed, courthouses closed (which means I can't get any work done), and apparently most businesses... tried calling first thing this morning to the Tractor place, and no answer... heck, the owner lives just a quarter mile away.

Since global warming is going to be causing longer and longer cold spells, reckon I'd better get my equipment 'used to' sub-freezing temps.

If I had a logging arch, I could at least get the Samurai out, and move the logs around.  Guess that's something else to add to the list.

weisyboy

fark mate its been hot here.

5pm this arvo it was still 30 deg c in the house.

wednesday it was 42 deg c down at the mill, in the little shed, we were in the sun all day nearly gave up but had an order to fill.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

SwampDonkey

To heck with that. My brain starts to boil at 30C :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NB sawdust

I would take -30c over +30 any day!! I can dress for the cold ! Trouble is we get both here.Was - 39c with the wind last monday/tuesday.Later in the week we got 11 inches of snow over two days with no schools cancelled.Seems like my corner of the province is getting all the snow swamp donkey, little above waist deep and fluff right down to the ground !

texican

Won't be long before we get into the 80's... by the end of February, most locals have their garden put in...  By June, it'll be close to 100F.  I haven't built a shed yet... I'm still debating about the location.  Definitely favoring sites with oak trees on the south side, to shade the shed as much as possible.

I prefer it cold, but apparently my equipment doesn't.  Of course, since I'm itchin' to get cutting again, sure we're going to have the longest winter in memory...

SwampDonkey

My garden was doing nice until August when the dry weather finally burnt it up. It was hot here from May 1st to the end of August last year. 80-95 degrees may not seem hot by southern standards, but it's too dang hot working in the woods with a saw in your hands. Sometimes you wish the sun would shine, then after about 8 weeks of heat you wish it would rain for a change. :D

laffs

i  know im sick of the cold weather. everything is either froze up or snowed in. il take 90s over 2 degrees any day. ive got 8' snow banks and more on the way. keeps going and were gonna have snow till june. IM SICK OF IT
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!