iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

263 Logs

Started by Autocar, February 03, 2011, 07:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

We sawed 263 logs to build our home,the vertical timber between the patio doors is 24 feet long and is sawed five sided. The center of the front, sticks out four feet further then the side walls thats why we had to cut five sided. Each panel of glass is double pane and custom cut each one is a 1/2 inch different then the one next to it  ;D. The rafters are 26 feet long and the side walls are 2x6 so all the doors and smaller windows came up short so we made jamb extensions. I dug all the stumps out by hand and it took her and I one year to get it weather tight. All the logs were sawed on a circle mill with a 54 inch bottom saw and a 48 inch top saw all the lumber we sawed was cut with a chain saw we never owened a hand held electric saw  ;D. Its 28 years old now it probably wouldn't suit alot of folks but we stay dry and warm, not sure if I would ever tackle another build like that , but you can save a bundle doing it your self with your own logs. I gave $2500 for the woods, I sold all the ash to a local mill that got my money back. Then we built only when we had the money to move forward. With the carpet down ready to move into we had $32,000.00 in the whole project. Great exsperance but don't think I could tackle another one.
Bill

Bill Gaiche

Autocar, that is a very nice place and looks peacefull. bg

laffs

id be very proud to have built something like that. it looks very peaceful set back in the trees. for most of us that like that, we call it home.
i have about the same invested in mine thogh mine looks smaller and its stick built mostly, because i bought my mill after the fact. il do some modifications with timber as time permits. right now i have to contend with the snow.
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Banjo picker

Very nice...it always makes a person feel good to see the end results of his hard work.. smiley_clapping  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Tullivor

Wow autocar, that place looks incredible.
I would love to do that someday, build my entire home from wood you have sawn yourself.  I think your house is designed well from the picture, I would be proud of it.
Jeff  

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

clww

A truly nice looking home :)
BRAVO! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

fishpharmer

Looks great.  Anyone would be proud of a home like that.  8)

Something I see wrong with the picture though....

All that dang white stuff ;) :D :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

Thanks for a the replys we surely like our place, in the summer you can't even see the road its like another world. James if you want some of this white stuff I'll put some in the freezer for you but the way its going now we will still have it in July  ;D
Bill

fred in montana

Nice work! It is a big effort to do all that yourself- especially with cutting your own lumber.

Looks great!
woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

oklalogdog

Great looking house and beautiful place.  I built my own house in 1980.  It was a 3200 sq ft stick house covered with rock and cedar - beautiful home if I do say so myself.  One builder bid it for $108,000 with no fireplace and one bid it at $125,000 with the fireplace.  We built it for $68,000 and just like we wanted with cedar shakes, solid ash cabinets and real leaded glass In the built in gun cases, book cases and etc.

Now I am 60 years old and am gonna do it again.  I have cut 300 cedar logs for a log house we intend to build in a very nice location by a creek that feeds our lake - I obviously have no sense and I have no cents either.  So, I'm using all the materials I can from our land. Planning a post and beam piece on piece construction - wish me luck!
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

thecfarm

Going to take us along for the ride,pictures?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

What a beautiful place Autocar!

We built our place thinking it's where we'll end up for the rest of our lives. Nine years later I'm still working on it.  :D

Okalogdog we saved a bundle too doing things that we could ourselves, said this will be the last one we build. We had the gator up on a ridge of our farm overlooking the valley and my wife commented on how beautiful it would be for a house!

Magicman

I look forward to watching your new home's construction oklalogdog.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

oklalogdog

Yep - I'll post some pics as I go along.  I'll try to put a few up here in 3-4 days when I'm on days off.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

ljmathias

Oklalogdog: Couple of words of advice- start a new log that's just yours so we can keep track of it, take lots of pictures and don't use most of them, and try to write something everyday.  From my own experience, it's really hard to sum up a long absence- you feel overwhelmed (or whelmed, as my daughter claims is the correct use of the word) by how much you have to write and how many pictures you have to sort and put in, so you don't... you postpone and delay until you reach the point of "oh, what the heck..." and just give up.  We'd love to see and hear about your progress- it's hard work and you certainly have some neat ideas or short cuts that the rest of us can steal ; oops, I mean learn from.   :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ljmathias

I meant "blog" not log- of course you'll be starting a new log, several hundred, in fact!   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!