iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new state record

Started by ely, February 03, 2011, 05:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

192 pounds,7ft 8 inch long.   41 inches girth

fishpharmer

8) 8) Look at that!!!  A true "Monster Fish!"  8) 8)

Thanks Ely.  I like it.

Wonder what kind of bait he used?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

DanG, that ain't a fish, that's a gator that lost his shoes.. :D I've seen several in that size range that came out of the ouichita river.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SPIKER

kind of looks photo shopped to me.  but I have seen some BIG gar back when I spent time on the Arkansas River playing out in middle of southern Kansas when I was in military.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Magicman

I wonder what a gar sammich would taste like  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

I don't know, but I hear that they make good Salmon Croquettes.  :-\

Magicman

I've (had to) eaten gar cooked over a campfire before.  All that we took was cooking oil, potatoes and bread.  Where was fishpharmer when we needed him  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

this pic was sent to me by the guys that snagged that fish. i know them personally. no photo shop involved, and if there is i will eat my words.

this is an alligator gar, somewhat different from the gar that would be found in kansas.

the fellas name is james tucker, the fish was certified at the fish hatchery in oklahoma.

gar is good to eat,imo. ive had it baked, fried, and boiled. all good.

Just Me

Wow!

That looks like a nice size sturgeon! I had no idea that Gar could get that big. Wow!

Jeff

Isn't that an Alligator Gar?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

isawlogs

I don't know what an alligator gar looks like, I do know what a sturgeon does though, and that aint no sturgeon.

Its a big fish regardless  :o :o    :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Chuck White

Quote from: Just Me on February 04, 2011, 06:04:04 PM
Wow!

That looks like a nice size sturgeon! I had no idea that they could get that big. Wow!

At first glance I too thought it was a Sturgeon, but the framework was wrong.

Then I just thought Gar, no particular kind!

Congrats to the man on setting a new state record.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

crtreedude

So, that is what I would look like if I was a fish... (I weight 192 lbs, roughly)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

fishpharmer

Quote from: crtreedude on February 05, 2011, 06:07:35 AM
So, that is what I would look like if I was a fish... (I weight 192 lbs, roughly)

I picture you more as a shark ;) :D ;D

Magicman

At 165, I would be bait.   ::)

pineywoods

There are several species of gar. Most of them won't get over 18-20 inches and weigh a couple of pounds. Alligator gar do get large. I think the largest on record came from the white river in arkansas, somewhere around 200 pounds. So named because they look like an alligator with no feet, that includes the teeth. Years ago, I used to help an uncle who was a commercial fisherman. Occasionally one of these beasts would get caught in his nets. Usually destroyed the net.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Being a gar (don't care what type) I'd be a little nervous with his head that close to mine, dead or alive :D  I've seen their teeth.

clww

That would be a nice prize with a bow! One fish I would not want to be in the river with! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

The only thing I can find on the internet about a 192 lb gar was from 2007

http://corsicanadailysun.com/outdoors/x212347908/Gar-Gantuan-Nacogdoches-teen-reels-in-new-state-water-body-record-alligator-gar-at-Sam-Rayburn

I'm kinda dubious of the authenticity of the photo the more I look at it, simply because unless that is a little man, that fish would have to weigh a whole lot more than 192 lbs at that size. It also seems like with a fish that big, the story would be all over the web.

I checked it on a Freshwater fish weight calculator and if you plug in those dimensions, you get a weight of over 300 lbs.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/fishfreshwtcalc.html

Dale Hatfield

If the fish is 7 foot 8 inches long then that is one very short man.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

fishpharmer

Jeff, I find it completly believable.  Compare Oklahoma fish to fish in this story.  http://www.thejump.net/fishing/1fishphoto5/fish-pic-15.htm

I know the fish in link was real.  If the fish was an official record it could take weeks or longer for state officials to make a press release. I know from experience. ;)

Gator gar aren't like most fish.  They are tube shaped with little taper.  I think the angle of pic and shadows make it appear larger than reality.

If I am wrong, it won't be the first time. :)

Jeff

I don't think the shadows are right. He is casting a long shadow, but the shadow of his hat looks like the sun is right overhead. Looking across the water into the brush, there seems to be no long shadows there.  I dont think you would get the deep solid dark shadow behind him on water, because of the daytime reflected light off of the water surface.

Gary_C

When I saw that picture I too thought it was altered. Can't understand why you would take a picture like that unless you were trying to distort perspective.

Here is a good picture and story about a real big fish. Course to catch one of these you have to be really nuts and go ice fishing.  :D :D

Bayport Man Hauls Massive Sturgeon Through Ice on St. Croix River

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Woodcarver

The dimensions match well with the record alligator gar listed on the Oklahoma DNR website.  They list the current record as a fish 92 inches long, 38 inch girth, weighing 184 lbs 3 oz.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!