iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used Lumbermate 2000

Started by Tullivor, February 02, 2011, 11:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullivor

Hey everybody
I am a new member here.  I live in Canada and have always wanted a sawmill.  I don't need anything serious, just something to cut back the cost on my dads and my kitchen building business.  I have access to maple, cherry, walnut, and pine, but a 1000 bf of each would last me a long long time. I would also like to do some custom milling in the area just to make a little extra money to pay off the sawmill.
I have been looking at a lumbermate 2000 purchased new in '07.  The person who owns it has only used it maybe 10 hours but it has sat outside for the last 3 winters with the cover on.  It is the 15 horsepower kohler engine and it comes with a tooth setter and sharpener (neither have been used) 4 ft extension, 10 blades (8 new), lap siding and shingle jigs, and cover.  All said and done it cost him just less than $9000.  My question to experienced sawyers is what do you think this sawmill is worth now?  And is a 15 hp engine up to the task?

nas

Hi Tullivor,
Welcome to the forum.
I sold my 2007 LM2000 last winter for $6500.  It was a similar setup, with a 13hp Honda, 2 extensions and the trailer package.  I think mine was around $10,000 new for everything.  I think $5000-$6000 would be reasonable.  It is a great little mill for what you want it for, but hide it somewhere, because when other people find out you have a mill, you might end up having to upgrade.(don't ask me how I know ::) :o ;D)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

H60 Hawk Pilot

I bought my 2001  LM 2000 for $ 2,700.00, add $ 300.00 more in gas money & trucking usage for 900 mile round trip for the pick up of the mill in NC. My true cost of LM 2000 is} $ 3,000.00 bucks, bought it - Oct., 2009. I bought it without power because it was electric. It came with (2) four foot extensions, toe boards, 5 new blades, 5 used blades and Norwood tree faller. The mill was well cared for and low hour usage (looked as new).

Used LM 2000 Math --             $ ,3,000.00  Used LM 2000 (with pick up cost)
                                                  1,200.00  New 16 HP B & S Eng.  
Note: I did not buy                          400.00  New Clutch  
a new eng. & clutch                         300.00  Shipping for Eng. & Clutch
I priced them in for                          100.00  New Gas tank and fuel line & fittings and attaching bolts & throttle cable.
cost factor. I bought a                  $ 5,000.00  = < Cost of LM 2000 ~ if I had bought a new 16 HP eng. & 16 HP clutch.  
used B & S 16 HP eng.
& clutch for $500.00.                    $ 3,600.00  < my true cost in LM 2000 with new gas tank & fuel line, throttle cable.  $100.00 gas tank, etc. .                                                          

I priced out the 2001, Lumber mate 2000 with all the options and NW tree faller at $ 8,700.00 with No shipping charges figured in.  I see that the 2007 year model   LM 2000  that you're looking at is a little less than $ 9,000.00 at new price.

NAS sold his 2007 year model (LM 2000) for $ 6,500.00, I think that's a decent middle of the road price for seller and buyer.  

You asked about 15 HP, if that was enough power to do the job. I have read that the 13 HP is enough to do the job but just a slower feed rate when you saw. Sawing hard wood with 15 HP... it's just a little slower yet with a 15 HP compared to the 23 HP. Since, you are just starting out and never sawed before.. you will not have a refererce to base anything against. Most folks that have the 23 HP will say that it makes a difference to them. They are 100% correct because they are trying to get the most production they can from their mill.  It was mentioined that you may out grow the 15 HP LM 2000 .. once the word get's out and you're sawing for other's and yourself.

Thes LM 2000 is right there in your back yard and it's a good starter mill.  I like dealing with Norwood on the phone and good ownership forum. All the other mill advertiser's here on FF get high mark's as well (good service and mill quaility). If you buy the LM 2000... call Norwood  and have the ownership changed over. You can't buy parts from  Norwood  untill the previous owner verify's that the mill was sold to you. I like this Norwood Requirement and it makes it tougher for the crooks to buy replacement parts for a stolen mill.

If you can buy the LM 2000 for a $$ decent price... you'll be pleased with it.. I was and still smiling with my deal ;D at $3.6 K.

I added this information a few minutes later.

Buying a sawmill is the start and the tip of the iceberg. You need support equipment, basic package i.e. pick up truck with trailer, small/ mid sized farm tractor to skid with, chainsaw, cant hook, chains, axe, etc., etc. .  No you don't have to own this equipment to buy the LM 2000... just know that related (support) cost's are involved to be fully operational.  

I just read Deep Wood's Post, He mentioned Support Equipment Too and a lot of work. I always say... " anything that's related to farming and working in the woods is honest work and hard work goes with this view point as well. "  I'd think twice if I had some health issue's or not prepared to work quite a bit (lots of hours). Also, be prepared to move a lot of material around and the drying process too.. all time consuming work.  I'm Not trying to talk you out of it... just making you aware of the big picture (don't know your background) when buying a sawmill...  did I mention tip of the iceberg  :D ?                                
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

DeepWoods

First off Welcome to the forum Tullivor.   I bought a new LM2000 in 2004 with a 23 hp briggs and a trailer package for $6200.00.  Then proceeded to add about another $1000.00 to customize it a little.  Last year I added 2 bed extensions for another $1100.00.  I have been very happy with the LM2000, and while I don't have a band sharpener and setter, or the Lap and shingle jig, I would think if I were to want to sell mine I would ask at least $7000.00 for what I have.  I only have 44 hours on the mill.  I have cut some large logs on it, and really liked the 23 hp.  I think for what you want to accomplish, this would be a good match for you.  Manual mills are a lot of work, and one must be careful and aware of the risks involved with handling large logs.  With a little support equipment it will make the job easier.  I have never been sorry for getting involved with having a sawmill, and get a lot more time on the mill this year as I need to cut the lumber for an addition to our house this spring.  Once you have a mill, there always seems to be a reason to cut more lumber. 

Les
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

Tullivor

Thank you guys so much for your input, extremely helpful.
I already do a lot of chainsawing throughout the year, gathering wood for boiling maple syrup in the spring.  And I have gone through some large beautiful logs but never milled any of them up so it only seems proper to have my own mill.  I love working and keeping busy.  I do realize that manual saw milling is hard on the body but I am still young and too dumb to listen to when my body tells me to stop.  Who knows maybe someday I will be able to afford a labourless mill, but I will certainly have to work for it!!
I do feel better about this sawmill after reading your guys opinions.  It seems like sawmills don't really depreciate that much?  Do you think having it sitting outside for 3 years would have done any damage?  The engine has been covered.
Hawk pilot had mentioned the drying process.  I have been considering building my own solar kiln that can dry 1000 bf at a time.  I would be using this wood for facing cabinets so has to have the proper moisture content.  Can you obtain the needed MC without a kiln?
Thank you again for any input you may have!
Jeff

nas

Where are you located?  Canada is a big place. ;)
The motor should be fine if it was covered and the mice stayed out of it.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Tullivor

I am located north of Orangeville Ontario.  I actually have family in Milton, and some work to do there in the coming week. 
So if this guy accepts $5000 I would be getting a good deal?

bushhog920

what kind of sharpener? if it is the manual norwood it takes 45min per blade and dremmeral tools are underpowered for the job. would not put much value on it. I have one and got soo tired of it went and bought a cooks catclaw sharpener ;D.

Tullivor

I can understand spending $2000 on a blade sharpener if you are milling for serious production, but I'm not about to spend nearly half the price of the sawmill on a sharpener.  The cat claw does look awesome though!!  :o

H60 Hawk Pilot

Tullivor

I would request a quick demo. I'd want to see how the motor operated overall. I'd check the mill out on small log or cant that's laying around. The battery may be discharged or froze (ruined) up over Winter.  If so, find a smaller sized battery to stick in for the demonstation run. The gas may have turned bad if it's been in there for a long time without a stabilizer additive. Open the gas cap and check it out, sometimes you can tell if it's turned by the smell and color.  If the gas is wrecked.. drain the gas tank & the bowel of the carb. (if possible). Hopefully, the carb. is Ok and depends on the time period it's been setting with old gas to gum it up inside. Also, if the engine won't start and idle and on & on.. then price will drop as well. Buying a operating mill for $ 5 or 6 K is one thing; buying a non operating mill for $ 4 or 5K is another.

Regarding Drying.. I mentioned drying as part of the whole operation (iceberg factor).  Lot's of folks have been drying lumber outside since day one and lot's of posts on that subject. You're in a whole different world with cabinet work and way out of my (limited) expertize in that area.  I'd go to the Drying and Processing section and post your specific question's.

Avery      
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

nas

Quote from: Tullivor on February 03, 2011, 10:41:07 PM
I am located north of Orangeville Ontario.  I actually have family in Milton, and some work to do there in the coming week. 
So if this guy accepts $5000 I would be getting a good deal?
My Wife grew up in the Hockley valley, so I know the area well.  I think $5000 is a good price if the motor runs well.  Stop by if you like.
Quote from: bushhog920 on February 03, 2011, 10:43:48 PM
what kind of sharpener? if it is the manual norwood it takes 45min per blade and dremmeral tools are underpowered for the job. would not put much value on it. I have one and got soo tired of it went and bought a cooks catclaw sharpener ;D.
I had the Norwood sharpener when I had my Norwood, and I didn't find it too bad.  About 10-15 min per blade.  I sold it with the mill because my new mill came with a WM sharpener.

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Tullivor

Hey Nick, I was just checking out some of your pics, you run a milling operation for business?  Pretty cool meeting someone in the same area interested in the same things.  I truthfully have not seen many mills in operation before.  I usually go to the wood show in Waterloo and One year they had a mill set up outside.  I am considering going to the farm show at the international centre next week because norwood haw a booth set up.

Ironwood

Before I bought my fully equipped 23 hp, two extension, hour metered (200 hours) LM2000 w/ sharpener ( I spent $5500) I had a friend who would bring his 13 HP LM2000 here to work, he NEVER covered his and generally neglected it for 7 years, and it was fine. They are a good solid mill. Assembly, while not hard is worth something. I was glad I did not have to do that part of the process. "Opportunity cost" of the assembly process should be considered.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

nas

Yes I run my mill for a living.  PM me if you want to stop by some time.

Nick

2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!