iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you think?

Started by Cory, February 02, 2011, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cory

What do you all think about the Woodmizer LT15 and the Hud-Son 330 Pro.  I have looked at a bunch of mills and it has come down between these two.  I want a good solid mill that is easy to use and maintain.  I like to get the most "bang for your buck". 

TreeWinder

Being a realtive newby to band mills and this forum not to logs and equipment; you can't go wrong with the LT15,

I built my own CSM and then bought a Baker. However I read more than I can remember on the smaller saws, and the LT15 in the size of mills your looking at would be where I go. Nothing negative personnally against the Hudson, but for customer service and peace of mind LT 15 would be my suggestion.

Ed
Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

laffs

i  dont own either one,but i did look them over a little bit. the 330 is a 30" machine thats a huge plus right there. you can up grade it, probably off the shelf parts its cheaper than the lt15 even when the wm is on sale i think if it were me id lean torwards the  hudson
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

flibob

I don't know about Hudson but I have really had good experiences working with Woodmizer.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

VT-Woodchuck

I looked at both Hud-son and WM at our local farmshow. I felt that there was enough of a difference for me to spend a little more and buy the LT15. I also opted for the 25 hp engine. I feel it's a more rugged machine.

Peter Drouin

WM all the way. and by all the engine you can. good luck 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

KyTreeFarmer

Cory, There are lots of LT15 owners here and like me I think they will all pretty much tell you the LT15 is indeed a well built and reliable mill. If you have decided a manual mill is all you need, then I would say go with the Woodmizer.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

tyb525

Just cause it can cut 30" doesn't mean it will do it well ;)

I'd go with the LT15, not just because it's a WM, but because it's a very good quality mill.

I own a LT10G10, and while it's small I love it. WM has been great with every question I've had, they even replaced my log clamp for free.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Knock on wood..........I bought my LT15 in the fall of 2002 and I have cut 10's of thousands of BF with it.  It has stayed in perfect adjustment since day one.  I have never had to so much as touch an adjustment mechanism.  Knock on wood, again..........

The Hud-son may be the same, but I have had no experience with one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodmills1

WM

I know a hudson owner

hudson has it's place in this business

but ifin ya wants a run day to day

like I do go WM

the support alone is worth it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Knute

Hudson may be a fine mill, but I am very satisfied with my WM and the people there I have worked with.

paul case

does that model hudson have roller blade guides? some hudsons i have looked at didnt and i think this would be harder on the blade than roller guides.
i like the roller guides on my mill. they work real well.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Cory

I think that the Hud-son has guide shoes with a bearing behind the blade and the woodmizer has a bearing.

So far here is what I like about each

Hud-Son 330 Pro
30 inch Capacity, Centrifugal Clutch, double block bearings on band wheels, 19 inch band wheels, the log dogs/clamps, operator isn't on the sawdust side, four post head $5295

Woodmizer LT30
Box beam bed, gas assist height adjustment, easy bolt on power feed option, has six log dogs standard.

The bad

330 Pro
Could be a hassle to change blades with the head between two posts

LT15
Operator is on sawdust side price is $5900 ($600 more than 330 Pro), only 28 inch capacity, to engage the blade you have to pull a lever then idle up the motor.

Thanks for everyone's input so far ;)

Brucer

If capacity is a concern, be sure you understand what they mean by the term (for both saws). Does it mean a 28"/30" log? or does it mean a 28"/30" width of cut? And if it's width of cut, is that the distance between guide rollers, or is it the width of a cant clamped on the mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tyb525

What woodmills said.

A 30" log is pretty big for that size of mill, hud-son or wm ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!