iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Jonsereds that made them famous..(Pics from the Spike60 collection)

Started by weimedog, February 01, 2011, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

First production saw I ever owned was a 1974 silvertop 621.
Can't make it out but if thats a decomp button on top of the black covered 'sered then its a 90. One of the toughest indestructable saws I ever owned, right up there with my Stihl 090AV. The silvertop next to it looks like a 80 with a 801 rewind housing and a 621 airfilter cover.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 01, 2011, 11:26:39 PM
First production saw I ever owned was a 1974 silvertop 621.
Can't make it out but if thats a decomp button on top of the black covered 'sered then its a 90. One of the toughest indestructable saws I ever owned, right up there with my Stihl 090AV. The silvertop next to it looks like a 80 with a 801 rewind housing and a 621 airfilter cover.

Willard.

The black top saw is a 90. It is in great shape due to the fact that it was owned by a guy who only used it for personal firewood cutting. Most larger pro saws were used hard until used up, so getting one in this shape is kind of a rare find.

The saw next to it is actually an 801, but with an 80 top cover on it. The 801 top was all  busted up, and well, I like the silver tops.....  The decal on the starter lacks the "S" after Jonsered because it's a replacement. That round decal is still available, but only without the "S".

The 801 also didn't seem to see much use. Inside of the tank is spotless, which is often a concern with the all metal Jonnys. Starting that thing without a deco doesn't exactly encourage anyone to pick it up, that's for sure.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Well there you go again,regional .You just don't see them if they weren't popular in your neck of the woods .I've worked on a grand total of three J-reds in my lifetime .I will say though they were good runners .

lumberjack48

Nice saws, i bought a new 601 back in 69 for $165., this was when Homelite was fading out. Homelite made to many models, it was hard to keep up with all their numbers, and parts were hard to get.

I ran Jonsered in the 70s, 601's, 621's 751's, 80's and the ole 90, the 90 was a good landing saw, i could saw up 8 to 10 cords on a tank of gas, when you have 2 skidders pulling in to you this helps. You don't have time to be putting gas in, i would run the rakers 80 thro, in Aspen or Balsam, that ole 90 had the power to pull her.

We had a good dealer, 30 miles away, when i wanted a saw he deliver it right to the door or the job site, those were the days.
May be i got off track, these ole Jon's were a very dependable saw.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Chris J

Jonsered products have no market presence here, most of my Jred saws came from eBay.  A few were good buys, some weren't, hopefully it balances out ;).

My runners are a 2171 and a 670, and my projects include a 920 (I could really use a complete parts saw), a 630, and a couple 49SPs.  My Jred parts saws are pretty varied, some are carcasses, some aren't but need quite a few parts.  The 2095 is a carcass that I'd like to piece together, but that will run into some $$$. 

I've been meaning to do some Jonsered-only group photos, but I haven't yet figured out the photo posting here.  I'll do some more experimenting >:( :P >:(, maybe I'll eventually get it right.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

s grinder

That first saw you have in this post,is it a 70E? Looks like mine which is a 1978 vintage.

Spike60

Quote from: s grinder on February 02, 2011, 04:55:43 PM
That first saw you have in this post,is it a 70E? Looks like mine which is a 1978 vintage.

Yeah, the first saw is a 70E. That is the model that pretty much solidified Jonsered's reputation here in the Northeast, and is the most fondly remembered.

My particular area was all Jonsered for serious users up until about 1990. There's a dealer, who's still in business on his farm @ 84 years old, who got started with Jonsered in 1972. He stocked parts, and your saw was ready the next morning if you needed it. In his hayday, he was selling 150-200 saws a year, and neither Husky or Stihl could touch him. A lot of the saws in my collection were originally sold by him.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

Quote from: Chris J on February 02, 2011, 03:54:55 PM
J

I've been meaning to do some Jonsered-only group photos, but I haven't yet figured out the photo posting here.  I'll do some more experimenting >:( :P >:(, maybe I'll eventually get it right.

Email to me and I'll post them..actually its easier to post pics here for me that the other places..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

s grinder

Spike 60,Took over my farther's firewood business[part time] back in 1973,was during the first energy crisis and firewood was hot.Was cutting around 100 cords a year,by Jan. of 78 had used up a couple of  his Homelite Super 925'S up.Jonsereds were just coming around this area,went to the local dealer and told him i wanted a saw i could cut down firewood and cut to length all day with out hurting it.He told me a 70E would do job with a 20" bar,so that's what i bought.I also had as many as three small saws for limbing and bucking tree length from 6' and down for my hired help,but the 70E did all the big work.That saw could really make saw dust with a professional grade chain.Got out of the firewood business in 88 but still use it  today for my personal firewood and tree work.One final note,i ventured in the stump grinding business this year and bought a new MS660 with a 32" bar it's all stock, good saw,but cutting smaller wood doesn't seam to cut any faster than Old Red.

Brucer

Quote from: Spike60 on February 03, 2011, 06:32:34 AM
Yeah, the first saw is a 70E. That is the model that pretty much solidified Jonsered's reputation here in the Northeast, and is the most fondly remembered.

I wondered if it was, but the chain brake lever threw me off.

My first "serious" saw was a 70E, purchased in '81. The brake lever is formed out of metal rod with a plastic covering.

For some reason the 70E didn't catch on in this area. The pro's didn't seem to trust the electronic ignition. I ran mine for 20 years until I had trouble getting parts for it. It ran great -- I just had to dismantle and clean the carburetor once a year. I liked that saw so much I replaced it with a 2171.

The 70E is in the basement, with a bunch of parts and new gaskets. "One of these years" I hope to rebuild it and see if I can get a little more life out of it -- just for fun.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

s grinder

Brucer,You can still get some parts for these saws,this summer i replaced the plastic coolant fan that goes on flywheel and also a muffler.Got them from one of our site sponsors,[Chainsawr]Scott is good people and has a large inentory.You should get the old girl going again just for the hell of it.

Spike60

Quote from: s grinder on February 04, 2011, 04:49:44 PM
Spike 60,Took over my farther's firewood business[part time] back in 1973,was during the first energy crisis and firewood was hot.Was cutting around 100 cords a year,by Jan. of 78 had used up a couple of  his Homelite Super 925'S up.Jonsereds were just coming around this area,went to the local dealer and told him i wanted a saw i could cut down firewood and cut to length all day with out hurting it.He told me a 70E would do job with a 20" bar,so that's what i bought.I also had as many as three small saws for limbing and bucking tree length from 6' and down for my hired help,but the 70E did all the big work.That saw could really make saw dust with a professional grade chain.Got out of the firewood business in 88 but still use it  today for my personal firewood and tree work.One final note,i ventured in the stump grinding business this year and bought a new MS660 with a 32" bar it's all stock, good saw,but cutting smaller wood doesn't seam to cut any faster than Old Red.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading that post. The 70E won over a lot of people that same way. It's amazing how much wood some 70E's have put behind them over the years. Many of the saws were retired, not because of a major failure, but because guys couldn't get parts. The internet may make it easier to find parts like the plastic fan you mentioned today, but that avenue wasn't available when most of these saws were taken out of service. Who knows how many of them are still sitting in someones garage waiting to get repaired?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jtrovato

I have a Jonsered 70E with the pastic flywheel that needs replacing. Does your have the plastic flywheel or the later model metal flywheel. Would you be willing to sell the saw? I have cut 100s of cords of firewood with this saw, best saw I ever used and would like to repair it or replace it.

Thanks, Jtrovato

Jtrovato

Quote from: Spike60 on February 03, 2011, 06:32:34 AM
Quote from: s grinder on February 02, 2011, 04:55:43 PM

My particular area was all Jonsered for serious users up until about 1990. There's a dealer, who's still in business on his farm @ 84 years old, who got started with Jonsered in 1972. He stocked parts, and your saw was ready the next morning if you needed it. In his hayday, he was selling 150-200 saws a year, and neither Husky or Stihl could touch him. A lot of the saws in my collection were originally sold by him.

Could you post the address or phone # for the dealer that's 84 years old and still in business on his farm? I need parts for the 70E and having a hard time finding the specific items I need. Plastic flywheel for the early 70E models.

shinnlinger

JT,  Have you tried Chainsawr?  Call him don't just take his site for granted.  He has alot of J-red.

Good luck!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jtrovato

I spoke with Scott at Chainsawr and he put the flywheel I need for the Jonsered 70E in his files with my contact info. I sure would  like to find some others contacts.
Thanks,
JTrovato

Spike60

Quote from: Jtrovato on March 07, 2011, 10:48:19 AM

Could you post the address or phone # for the dealer that's 84 years old and still in business on his farm? I need parts for the 70E and having a hard time finding the specific items I need. Plastic flywheel for the early 70E models.

I should check with Al before I post any contact info. I'm relatively certain that he wouldn't be interested in shipping parts out. It's tough to get him on the phone anyway; usually have to leave a message. Plus, he's likes having that stuff around to take care of the locals. And regarding the plastic 70E fan, I know the guy that got the last one that Al had, and even that one was used.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!