iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my gear (pictures)

Started by 2308500, February 01, 2011, 09:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

here's a few pictures of my skidder and log truck

The first twitch on a cool saturday morning

different weekend but same place, the skid trail was nice so i loaded a little heavier

Fruit of our labor 12 hrs 2 men truck is 2006 international with serco 8500 loader and custom built pup trailer

My 230 TJ at rest on a warmer day.1979 with 3-53 detroit

If i got this figured out, i'll take some more this winter and post some more

Maine372

nice machines. where are you from? looks like maritime canada if i had to guess.

I'm in southwestern nova scotia.
We do trucking for about a dozen local contractors, running a self loader a couple tractors and hayrack trailers
the skidder is just our weekend toy. Gets our mind off trucking on sundays.

Autocar

Very nice looking equipment a fellow can tell you take care of it.  8)
Bill

clww

Cool photos! I like that skidder! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Hilltop366

Greeting fellow "South West Nova Scotian" nice pics and gear, did I see that truck and trailer loaded on the road around Dayton last week? It kinda looks familiar, Should have no problems getting a winter picture now!

Cheers

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 02, 2011, 10:11:30 AM
did I see that truck and trailer loaded on the road around Dayton last week? It kinda looks familiar,

Cheers
it hauls firewood to the yarmouth area on a regular basis. going into snowplow mode for a few days.
we didn,t get much frost this winter but at least you canpack the snow and make IT  freeze into a decent road

Ps theres probably a half dozen trucks set up like this in our area,but ours is the only burgundy one

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

ridge logger

what is the chain for from the blade to the front of your 230 ???

rick f

The chains will help eject a tree that gets in over the blade horns. You put the blade down and the chains tighten up and the tree rolls down the chains and over the horns onto the pile or ground.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Quote from: ridge logger on February 02, 2011, 08:01:52 PM
what is the chain for from the blade to the front of your 230 ???
not as effective on a Timberjack as they aRE on a treefarmer  due to blade mount location, but still handy nonetheless

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Jack Serco  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Thats a nice looking setup you have there any way you look at it  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)  where are you selling your logs to and are you just taking them to the mill as run of bush grade Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Most of our wood and any wood around this end of nova scotia goes to a bowater mill in the bridgewater area or another mill Harry Freeman and sons about 25 miles outside bridgewater.

bowater will buy the wood as it comes but you get a better price if you sort it into pulpwood,sawlogs and premium sawlogs
other mills buy only sawlogs  no pulpwood

H60 Hawk Pilot

Real Nice Gear !

I'm a little of everything i.e. farmer, logger, trucker, hvy. equip. mechanic and have a big interest in heavy duty trucks and the like.

Do you folks run big engine power up that way and allowed to haul heavy ?

I was checking the tr-axle log trailer out and was wondering if it get's  Wild  back there when the roads are slick (icy) ?  I've hauled a lot with a tri-axle dump in bad weather. I would not put any pressure on the lift axle in bad weather.. or you'd lose steering control and be in trouble in no time. When I was looking at the trailer load and the tight (spacing) set on the 3 axle trailer.. my little brain said that on bad roads.. the control of that trailer could get Real Wild !

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

We run the big cats ansd cummins 500 horse and up. Gross weights are 110 000 lbs on that pictured unit up to 135 000lbs  approx. on a B train- tractor unit.  We use kilograms so conversion is pretty close to these # s

The pup trailer in the picture is actaully a spring ride tridem, all 3 axles on the ground at all times.  We find it pulls real nice compared to the tandems.  If we have a lift for the front axle, dot would make us lift it on secondary roads and that would really kill us on the drive axles.
As it is now , they allow this configuration by grandfathering .

I am a heavy equipment operator by trade but over the last 20 years have also been truckdriver and equipment operator as well.
It never hurts to have many different stripes on your shoulder (so to speak)

PAFaller

If you dont mind my asking what kind of tire chains are you running on the front of that machine? and how have they held up for you? They look fairly new. Mine will last me okay through this winter but I may need a new set by next year, and I always like to get real world feedback from guys running similar gear. Thanks, Greg
It ain't easy...

i believe the chains were from a company called BABAC.
the previous owner had installed them 6 months before we bought the machine. when we took it home, i made a tightener and pulled em tight.
they have never moved and i fint they stay in place much better than ring type chains,

the back set was made by me with a bunch of D shackles and some used hard chain from fishing gear, after putting all the d links together i tack welded all the bolts. this rear set was put on mostly for tire protection as they are a little low on tread

snowstorm

babac chains made in winslow maine. for being homemade those rear chains look pretty good........well done

trev

I also put a chain from the arch th the back of the cab. When you get a tree in between cab and arch without a chain it is a pain to get out. And yes they do get in there.

i try not to fell trees on the machine. :D :D
no seriously, i thought about putting one there but with thi pivot point on this skidder being further forward and the distance from ca to arch short, i felt it would be more of a bother than an aid
i could have welded it on top of the cab directly above the pivot pin but didnt want to create another Clinking/ rattling noise that close to my head.
the one or two times i've had something in there its usually slash of some sort and i just cut it up.

huskyxp

a fellow sou westerner! im just down the road in lake george area :) ,very nice jack you have there! i have a c5 skidder with the 353 and c5 porter with deutz old rough gear but does its job lol  i see your trucks every so often nice gear
I would like to find a used(but tight) log loader for my porter if you ever see one in your travels shoot me a message 8)  thanks     
hopefully this rain we just got will freeze up and keep the mud away for a few more weeks  ;D

this mild weather has been just enough to get the mud coming back up through the snow but it should freeze again.
As the old saying goes (somewhat) GOOD, USED ,TIGHT,FOR SALE ...Pick any three.
I will keep an eye open however.  With the slowdown in logging over the last five years, alot of stuff went to the auctions and scrapyards

huskyxp

yes since theres not enough money in wood racket to buy new gear the old stuff is getting used up! oh well hopefully we will see good times again someday ::), i just hope the few mills left survive so we have a place to sell wood

Thank You Sponsors!