iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Australia getting pounded by Huge Cyclone Yasi (huricane)

Started by wesdor, February 01, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

Any of you  Aussie's impacted by the huge cyclone headed your way?  I just looked at a satellite photo from February 1 (US Time) and it looks like you could be getting some bad weather.  

Burlkraft already has a thread going on the blizzard here in the US, but it looks like you may have even more problems.

Hope you all OK and remain safe.

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

They are rating it as the most powerful storm ever recorded in Australia, coming ashore as a cat 5 storm. Winds are gusting to almost 300km/hr (180mph?) with a storm surge of 2m with 12m waves on top of that.

There is going to be some serious damage and probably loss of life.  :(

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Prayers are in order for those folks down there.  That storm is about the same size and strength as Hurricane Katrina, so we know what they're in for.  Thankfully, Asy seems to be outside the path, but I don't know where our other Forumites are located.  Keep your heads down, Mates!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warbird

What Dan said.  We're praying for you guys in Aussie land.

Bandmill Bandit

What I was truly surprised by was the level of preparedness that appears to be in place and the stringent building codes that were establish in the 60s and 70s.

the last bad cyclone that hit Australia caused severe property damage but no loss of life because people evacuated when they were told to. NSW Premier went the news yesterday several times to encourage people to move to safe zones and apparently most people were complying with out protest. Read the news from news .com.au this morning and the authorities have received calls from people that did not obey the evacuation order. Those people have been told that they are on their own as a result of their refusal to evacuate. Sad but i cant say as I would place any responsibility on the NSW ES for their position. When you have 2 days to get out and you don't it is tat-amount to parking you car on the rail road tracks when the lights start flashing and the control arms are starting to drop.

Should probably nominate those people for a Darwin award for 2011.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

nsmike

I follow Hurricanes and Cyclones on an amateur basis. The Australians use a slightly different scale measuring peak wind so to compare I checked the Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning center. They had it hitting with 140 to 145 mile per hour sustained winds or a strong Cat 4 on the Saffir-Simpson scale. They caught a big break when it slowed down and dived south missing the big population center of Cairns. Between good luck, and prior evacuation, so far they have no deaths known and only one missing.

Thank You Sponsors!