iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Projects Ideas & interest

Started by weimedog, February 01, 2011, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

AND what about you folks? I would actually rather see some of your stuff as well.

Any to add to the fray? I for one would like to see a picture heavy build of a 410 Homelite. or any Homelite of that last hurrah class of plastic Homie's. Maybe a 540 if we have any lucky one's out there!

Also would like to see something like a Jonsered 70E or 80 class saw with pics.

I have two workable 70 series saws. Also a pile of the Jonseres small saw stuff from the 1980's like the 490 & 520 series. Have no idea what to do with them!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Saw Dr.

Quote from: weimedog on February 01, 2011, 11:37:32 AM
AND what about you folks? I would actually rather see some of your stuff as well.

Any to add to the fray? I for one would like to see a picture heavy build of a 410 Homelite. or any Homelite of that last hurrah class of plastic Homie's. Maybe a 540 if we have any lucky one's out there!

Also would like to see something like a Jonsered 70E or 80 class saw with pics.

I have two workable 70 series saws. Also a pile of the Jonseres small saw stuff from the 1980's like the 490 & 520 series. Have no idea what to do with them!

I suspect you will get your wish on this one.  I'll make sure to get plenty of pics.  Does the build have to be stock, or would a little optimization be "approved?"  May also be something on the 111s once I have all of the parts in hand.  Poulan 8500 needs new crank bearings, and there are a trio of 056 Magnums here needing refresh.  Any of this sound interesting?

Is the 770 in the poll a GS model?  I had a line on a fixed-ratio one a while back, but have not heard out of the guy lately. 

I would like to see a teardown on a Dolmar KMS-4.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

weimedog

All those would be cool! And yes its the gear drive version.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Saw Dr.

I think all those 770's are gear drive, but the GS had a two-speed selectable transmission on it.  Pretty rare saws in my opinion.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

weimedog

Cut4fun

Didnt have my choice. I'm doing a Poulan 475 right now. Only because I was so impressed by the 65cc version Poulan 415 I built from a box.

Got a Poulan 2100 rear handled version of the TH 2000 with coil AV springs. I think I'm really going to like that light weight 33cc saw.

Pro Mac 805 that looks like new and has spark. I'm think Al is going to end up with this one. Wrong shade of yellow.  ;)

Partner 550 on the bench and just picked up another 550 to turn into a 7000 Plus.

Got 372's everywhere in different stages of builds from stock to ported.  362xp-365 special's  also for comparison sake stock to stock.  Still havent found a open port 365 to see if they were dogs like everyone says. I know the closed port versions are just 65cc version of the 70.7cc 372 and run real good. My favorite 65cc, only because of the lighter weight compared to the PP 415 65cc being built on the 77cc-82cc frame.

Got TH poulans that are runners, but not completed taking up a whole shelf.

Jonsered 490 in parts and a Partner 5000 going back together, probably with a Jonsered 590 top end.

Stihl 066 right around when they first came out with no-decomp, but after my redlight version.

Sure there is more, but just off the top of my head for now.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 01, 2011, 03:29:22 PM

Pro Mac 805 that looks like new and has spark. I'm think Al is going to end up with this one. Wrong shade of yellow.  ;)

I've got to wait for clearer weather but I think you'd much prefer an orange and white saw as that yellow one .As for the yellow one I cut my teeth on 10 series Macs . Actually one of my favorites although not the fastest ever made .

That one will remain a stocker because it would almost be sinfull to mess with such a pristene example of a bygone era .

Cut4fun

That P M 805 was so filthy when I brought it home Al. I just didnt have a clue where to start on it.  ;) :D

Got so much ice here I can stand on it without breaking through the snow. Went out to bus the drifts on the 700' driveway and the truck didnt go through the ice either.  :o

Al_Smith

I know all about that ice  unfortunately  :D

Interesting array of options with the selection before mentioned at the beggining of this thread .A word about those 605-610 Macs .Firstly they almost never go bad .The biggest problem they encounter is a faulty oil pump which sucks bar oil into the crankcase which in enough time plugs the muffler screen .That in turn causes carbon build up to chew the piston up .The good news is those tough old buzzards will run for years with a chewed up piston .Why I have no idea .

You could find the entire saw though cheaper than the parts to repair one .McCulloch must have made a zillion of them

Cut4fun

My next 2 inline are Pioneer Partner projects. One will stay a 550 and the other will become a 7000 when all the parts are found.

Al_Smith

Mac piston ports appear to be a daunting task if you've never done one but they're fairly  easy if you have done several .

Imagine me though on old Mac man the first case split I did on a Stihl . :D

ely

i think i have an old saw like the one in post #7. not sure of the numbers on it but the carb and stuff looks the same. i will have to dig it out.

weimedog

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 02, 2011, 04:12:09 PM

Interesting array of options with the selection before mentioned at the beggining of this thread .A word about those 605-610 Macs .Firstly they almost never go bad .The biggest problem they encounter is a faulty oil pump which sucks bar oil into the crankcase which in enough time plugs the muffler screen .That in turn causes carbon build up to chew the piston up .The good news is those tough old buzzards will run for years with a chewed up piston .Why I have no idea .

You could find the entire saw though cheaper than the parts to repair one .McCulloch must have made a zillion of them

I have two in a box..enough to put one together I guess. Would be willing to donate those part to someone at our GTG's so I don't have to hassle with shipping...if they would make it (them) a project saw & bring it back to life..

Saw Dr.

Quote from: weimedog on February 04, 2011, 08:34:26 AM
Quote from: Al_Smith on February 02, 2011, 04:12:09 PM

I have two in a box..enough to put one together I guess. Would be willing to donate those part to someone at our GTG's so I don't have to hassle with shipping...if they would make it (them) a project saw & bring it back to life..

I have two complete ones here myself.  One 610 and one 650.  I keep pretending I don't see them, and trying to cover them up with boxes and things.  Without, fail, they seem to surface and remind me.  I finally put one in a case, but it's evil twin keeps staring me down.  Those things are about number 50 on the list, and will be used for loaners since I have several 70dl safety chains to sacrifice.....  Both of mine are thin ring, which I think I have finally discovered the achilles heel of.  The thick ring ones will go on forever with dirty air, but the thin ring ones don't like it.  On nearly every one I have seen with low compression, the little bellows around the throttle rod is shredded.  That is on the "clean" side of the filter, and lets in unfiltered air when it goes.

Super 250

Al_Smith

I've got two 610 Macs . Mine which I've had forever and my dads' after he passed on .

Mine must have a zillion hours on it but it runs as good as the day I got it and my old man kind of "doctored " on his a bit and it will out run me .

In their day except for being heavy for 60 cc they were about as good as they came .

Except for work on the exhaust though there really isn't much I know of to pep them up .

When people talk about cheap firewood saws one of these in decent running order would certainly be the ticket . I landed 4 through flea bay one year and the most I had in any was around 60 bucks which included shipping . Fact is my son now has absolutely the most pristene one I ever saw .It died for want of a coil which cost me 25 bucks for a new one ,big deal .

Spike60

I've got one of these Macs also; the later Timberbear model. I did open up the muffler, and it sounds more like 100cc than the 55 it's supposed to have. Awfully heavy for it's displacement, compared say to a 254XP. But it has decent power for 55cc, and a certain character that you kind of get to like. It's built to take a lot of abuse and would probably run forever.

I didn't know this family of saws had both thin and thick rings. Anyone know which style is on the Timberbear?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Were I to guess it would be the thin ring because the Timber bear was one of the last of this design . They all were actually just a later variation of the 10 series engines with anti vibes and a diaphragm type oiler instead of the piston type used on the earlier 10 series .

The addition of a suspension systems did take most of the vibes out of them but with additional weight  added .Dang thing weights about as much as 125 with half the cc's .

As I see it the Mac horizontal design of the 10 series had one major flaw, bottom exit exhaust .The exiting gasses had to basically make two sharp bends to get out .Not the best .

Cut4fun

Half yellow half red  :D

PP 475 / Jonsered 2077 going together as I get parts.

Al_Smith

:D My neighbor has a multi colored Makita /Dolmar .Part Makita light blue and part Dolmar orange . I turned him on to Scott in Vt where he found the parts reasonable to fix it .

He did pretty good but I kind of had to show him how to rebuild the carb .I'll have to give him an A plus for the first saw he ever worked on on though .It might have helped that he was an old sled jockey  .

Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Stihl 026 pro running 3/8 7T. Wish I had a 7T in 325 to try or even a 8T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_6MwBMzgaQ

Cut4fun

Last of the 3 projects pulled out of winter storage.  Stihl 066 metal fly running 3/8 8T stihl RS round chisel out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQj8pLxT-VM

Thank You Sponsors!