iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 025 won't idle

Started by ejkelehan, January 31, 2011, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejkelehan

Howdy all, new to the forum here, I mainly cut firewood and my Dad builds custom cabinets, so he's been looking for a mill for a while, anyways, I just rebuilt the Carb on my Stihl 025 due to a rough idle/ not idling, and occasional hot start issues, now that it is rebuilt, the saw will only run at full throttle, i have tried all sorts of Carb adjustments with both the idle and low adjustments, but it will only run at WOT, my next thought is either the ignition coil, or maybe the fuel line is only providing enough vacuum to suck fuel into the Carb at WOT...any ideas to the root of the problem? Besides convincing my dad to get a bigger saw, I've been trying that for the past 6 months (I'm only 16).

lumberjack48

Sounds like real bad air leak, check the boot between the carb and the head, it might  be lose 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

ejkelehan

Ok. Ill check that when I get home. Thanks

Saw Dr.

I have seen a BUNCH of 1123 series saws with bad crank seals.  Check the fuel line first, and if any cracks are present replace it.  Check the little metal plate behind the carburetor.  It is possible to have the gasket positioned so as to block the impulse passage.  Also check the impulse line for condition and make sure it is attached on both ends.  I have seen it get pulled off at the top by YANKING the saw out of a pinch.  Generally, one or more of the A/V mounts will be mis-aligned if this is the case.  The compression should be 130+ for a reliable idle on this saw.  How does the piston look on the exhaust side.  If the carb is clean, assembled correctly, and the rest checks out then plan on replacing the crank seals.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

ejkelehan

Thanks for the information. Ill give it a shot tomorrow afternoon. What exactly is the impulse line? I'm not too knowledged in 2 strokes. Is it similar to a vac. Line on a car?

sawguy21

The impulse line connects the fuel pump in the carb and the crankcase. It allows the crankcase pulsations to operate the pump. A leak here will mean the pump won't work and air will get in the crankcase when it is not supposed to causing an over lean condition.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ejkelehan

sounds like that could be my problem, since it is running to lean to run at anything but full throttle, Ill have to look into that...any chance you have a service manual for 1123 model saws?

Thank You Sponsors!