iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

something new

Started by moonshiner, January 30, 2011, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonshiner

Hay there all.Been reading the forum for a while now.Just joined up today.For those of you who like old junk I have a treat for ya.Just a few weeks ago I aquired 2 belsaw m 14 mills.One is a newer model and the other is an early moder I think.Both are in very bad disrepair.I plan to restore both .The early one has its own power plant.A buda 4 cylinder gas & lpg motor.Its suppose to run.Ill keep all of ya up to date on the project.Ive worked at mills before but never undertook such a task.

paul case

welcome,
sounds like a lot of fun. take some pics and post so we can see it. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

moonshiner

Will do as soon as I get them home.O forgot to tell ya the newer one still has the origonal manual with it.

Magicman

Welcome moonshiner, to the Forestry Forum, and your mill rebuild should be interesting.  I hope that you take and post plenty of pictures.   Where do you "shine" from?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moonshiner

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, moonshiner!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

glenn molenaar

Howdy Neighbor, I'm new here still dreaming about a sawmill hopefully soon it will be a reality, I'm in Lawrence Co. I knew your handle had to be a neighbor somewhere close to me. Good luck with your project.
Glenn

bandmiller2

Welcome Shiner,will be an interesting project,and I wonder when your done which mill will be your favorite newer or older.The new metal framed mills are much easier to set up many of the dimentions are taken care of.Hope you got saws with those mills.There is probibly more knowledge of belsaw mills on this forum than anywhere in the world and its yours for free,just ask.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

Welcome moonshiner, Looks like you have an interesting project on your hands. Lots of folks here to give advice if needed. Oh yeah, we really like pictures!
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

paul case

hey hey hey you are just down the road from me. i am in ne ottawa co ok. i have a sawyer friend in mac co. i am just north of seneca about 8 miles. are you building these with wood or steel. of it is with wood i would be happy to saw some for you or maybe even find someone closer to help.
those original books are cool. i had some books with the one i had. it was a steel framed m-14 with a 40 inch blade. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

moonshiner

hay all,Thanks for all the greets.Happy to be part of this.Just a little more on the mills,they both have wood frames.The differances between the two is the oldest one has gearteath on the dog locks and the other has a cam style lock.Not sure of the year of them yet.Be fun to find out.I do know the story on the newest one,it was bought new, cut the lumber for 1 house them bought by the guy I got it from.He never set it up just let it sit there all these years.The wood is totaly gon on the old one but the new one has enough to patern off of.Havent decided on wood or steel yet.Really thinking white oak.My place has a bunch of it that wuold make nice timbers.

b dukes

Welcome! Sounds like you have plenty of work ahead of you. It has taken me the better part of a year for me to get as far as I am now ,and mine was on steel. I dont think there is a bolt on in that I havent turned or changed. But I am close now. I am sure any questions you have can be answered here!,  Good Luck

sdunston

welcome to the FF. We all love old junk and pictures of it 8)

Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

captain_crunch

Welcome to the Forum
With another Bellsaw mill maybe we won't be out numbered as badly :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

captain_crunch

Here is part of what my Belsaw was up to today

What was left over I got to cut about 14 more of them heavy buggers

Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Dave_

Quote from: b dukes on January 31, 2011, 09:33:30 PM
I dont think there is a bolt on in that I havent turned or changed.

I resemble that statement :D :D

Welcome Moonshiner!  You have probably already been there, but OWWM has some great old manuals for the Belsaw. 

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=86&tab=3

moonshiner

Dont have any that big yet but they may be by the time Im done rebuilding them.HA HA  LOL.No I havent been on that site yet.Thanks for the site will be there soon.

moonshiner

Well an update on the mills.Not gonna get to bring them home this week.Cant find them under 16 inches of snow.

paul case

not to highjack this thread but have you watched the weather? we are supposed to get 7''to 10'' more tomorow. may be even harder to find then. pc
pc

moonshiner

Hay Too much of the white stuff.Afraid te say the s word again.Almost 15 full inches of it last night and today.Might try to find them this weekend.Its supposer to start warming up tomorrow.I hope.Well have a good one & be careful all.

moonshiner

Hay all,well started haulin parts home today.Now that that nasty stuff is gone I had a chance to look over one of em real close.Made the discovery its not a m14 but a no.8.It has a 40 inch blade with 23 teeth.Trying to post a photo but not sure if its gonna work.

moonshiner

moonshiner

Hay all,finaly figured out the photo problem,ME  :D :D :D

Magicman

Well, it looks like you can just go fishing in your spare time.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Shiner,that headsaw will clean up,just be sure to leave the old bits and skanks in it so you don't damage the pockets.Around the mill site see if you can find the tool for twisting the shanks in and out,their about 18/20" cast with a handle at one end and a slot and "U" clip at the outher end.Id start off with new bits and shanks and have a sawsmith tension it to your chosen speed.Most belsaws were tensioned for 540rpm[tractor PTO speed] with a different engine you could go a little faster.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!